Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:03 PM
unsafe at any speed

Mein Auto: bavarian style
Thumbs up First Impressions: Dinan CAI/Throttle Body/Stage III

Greetings!

I just did some modding to my 2003 330i 5sp sport package, etc. I took delivery Nov. 11, 2002 and I’ve put 3500 miles on her so far.

I just had a suite of Dinan goodies installed, so I thought I’d share my experience.
The work was done by Ron Trochelman of Performing Imports in Atlanta. It took him about three hours to get everything installed. Apparently the current Dinan stuff is only sold at this time for the 2002 and earlier model years. He found that everything under the hood was identical to the 2002, so we forged ahead.

Originally I was just going to do just the CAI and Stage II software, but I only had to bend over a little farther to do the TB/Stage III as well. I figured that while I was going to put a fat dent in my wallet, what’s a little fatter dent? Either way, my wife is going to slice off a part of my body.

It took him about three hours to take care of everything. Apparently, it was very difficult to get the original throttle body off the car. I was hoping to keep the original TB as a souvenir for my desk, but I was told that the original goes back to Dinan to be bored out and re-sold as a Dinan TB.

Below are some pics of the install process. Final pic shows the CAI installed after the job was done.

As for the performance… that’s the question, right? There is definitely a performance boost. The only problem with going about this the way I did is that I can’t break down how much performance each component added individually. However, it is clear that the total package is significant.

When driving casually at lower rpms, the car feels and sounds virtually unchanged. The sound is a little throatier, but not much. There is a faint additional noise, sort of a hiss, but not quite. I can hear it in garages and other places where sound reflects back to me.

It’s when you put your foot in it that the action starts. When I push the car, taking it to higher rpms, I can really feel the difference. I’m definitely feeling a bigger hand pushing be back into the seat on acceleration. There is more power, and you can feel it.
At those higher rpms (4000+) the engine is somewhat louder and the car really goes.

The software has also definitely improved the responsiveness of the throttle. Hitting the gas sends the rpms up quicker. This has actually made rev matching easier.

To put it bluntly, this setup feels like some animal has been released under my hood. The stock configuration from BMW is very “civilized”. These mods make the car much much less civilized. The car will make more noise and it will go faster. It definitely adds to the excitement sitting in the drivers seat (and to the fear factor for the passenger!). Make sure that your “Oh Sh*t Handles” are securely fastened.

-CMOS

Last edited by CMOS; 01-22-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 M3 TiAg
Glad you liked the upgrade. I have an S1 kit on my TI and it totally changed the driving ecperience. As you said, the car makes itself known when you push it and really responds. It is a pleasure to drive it every day.

Have fun
Old 01-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Mein Auto: BBY Evo VIII
Awesome! Do you have plans to dyno the thing? Please? =)

BTW nice tires.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Revelation 10:7

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Hey CMOS, congrats on the work. I have been to Performing Imports a couple of times to get the oil changed on my 2002 325i. I was going to have some Dinan work done on my car, but I am thinking about trying to get a 330 instead.

At any rate, glad to hear you got the work done and that Ron did you right. He seems to have a great reputation.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLee
Mein Auto: 98 M3/4
i can tell you, i have a dinan cai on my m3 and originally had that nylon sock on it............it definitely impacts airflow

i recently changed my filter and left it off and the car is definitely better, i can hear the intake better, everything..

i would leave it off...i know its to prevent water ingestion but i had another m3 with a dinan cai for 2 years without that sock and never had a problem...not to say its not possible, its just not likely.

jeff
Old 01-23-2003, 07:03 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Nice!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 PM
unsafe at any speed

Mein Auto: bavarian style
Quote:
Originally posted by JLee
i can tell you, i have a dinan cai on my m3 and originally had that nylon sock on it............it definitely impacts airflow

i recently changed my filter and left it off and the car is definitely better, i can hear the intake better, everything..

i would leave it off...i know its to prevent water ingestion but i had another m3 with a dinan cai for 2 years without that sock and never had a problem...not to say its not possible, its just not likely.

jeff
That's interesting. I was starting to wonder how the sock will stay up. I didn't see any sort of fastening means. Maybe there's something I missed? I was worried that it wouldn't stay up... now maybe I'll worry that it won't fall down instead. I wish I could see the darn thing.

So many things to worry about with these cars.

I surprised that the bag would make a difference on sound/airflow. Good point about the water ingestion. I'll be sure to watch for big a$$ed puddles, bag or not.

-CMOS

Last edited by CMOS; 01-23-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLee
Mein Auto: 98 M3/4
yeah, the bag stays up no prob.

but without the bag the only way you really have a water ingestion problem is if you drive through a puddle as high as your foglight, or its a monsoon outside

in normal rain and stuff, your OK

jeff
Quote:
Originally posted by CMOS
That's interesting. I was starting to wonder how the sock will stay up. I didn't see any sort of fastening means. Maybe there's something I missed? I was worried that it wouldn't stay up... now maybe I'll worry that it won't fall down instead. I wish I could see the darn thing.

I surprised that the bag would make a difference on sound/airflow. Good point about the water ingestion. I'll be sure to watch for big a$$ed puddles, bag or not.

-CMOS
Old 01-27-2003, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan 3, 5sp
Right above the bag you will see a black brace that holds the CAI in place. When I had the Dinan CAI on my car the bag was pulled through the opening slightly and held in place by one of those silver metal bands you tighten with a screwdriver. it was very secure and I never had any problems with water ingestion even in heavy rain.

Quote:
Originally posted by CMOS

-CMOS