Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Appealing Dealer Service Dept. Decision(?)

I added aftermarket performance coil springs to my 02 745 LI about 8 months ago. Prior to that I had a problem with the alignment. Last week I went to the dealer to pay for an alignment ($180)and it was discovered that my bushings needed to be replaced. I was told by the service manager that I would have to pay $700 for them since I have voided the suspension warranty by adding the springs. In that same conversation he acknowledged that these bushing wear out as part of normal wear and tear and it was reasonable to assume that the bushings wore out normally considering the car is 5 years old. He still refused to cover them as normal wear and tear even though it was acknowledged that I had a problem predating the addition of the springs. What are my options to appeal this decision that was made at the dealer level? I know that a rep from BMW of NA visits the dealership service rep. on a regular basis. Please advise on my best course of action in getting 'Deep Pockets' to pay for this reasonable request? Thanks in advance for your input!
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBADBMW View Post
I added aftermarket performance coil springs to my 02 745 LI about 8 months ago. Prior to that I had a problem with the alignment. Last week I went to the dealer to pay for an alignment ($180)and it was discovered that my bushings needed to be replaced. I was told by the service manager that I would have to pay $700 for them since I have voided the suspension warranty by adding the springs. In that same conversation he acknowledged that these bushing wear out as part of normal wear and tear and it was reasonable to assume that the bushings wore out normally considering the car is 5 years old. He still refused to cover them as normal wear and tear even though it was acknowledged that I had a problem predating the addition of the springs. What are my options to appeal this decision that was made at the dealer level? I know that a rep from BMW of NA visits the dealership service rep. on a regular basis. Please advise on my best course of action in getting 'Deep Pockets' to pay for this reasonable request? Thanks in advance for your input!
You're out of luck. Even if they might have been in marginal condition a year ago, BMW can always argue that when you modified the suspension you put extra stress on them which caused them to ultimately wear out. Once you modify part of the suspension, they're free to deny coverage on other related suspension components.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
King Of M740il

Send a message via Yahoo to 98740il
Mein Auto: BMW 740IL
ure not actually suppose to put new springs on old shocks u've probably worn the shocks out too it's best to go with the whole suspension kit new
Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
You're out of luck. Even if they might have been in marginal condition a year ago, BMW can always argue that when you modified the suspension you put extra stress on them which caused them to ultimately wear out. Once you modify part of the suspension, they're free to deny coverage on other related suspension components.
I'm afraid this is the case. You can try arguing the point with the BMW NA rep. If he says no also, try to negotiate and split the cost or something, or take it to another place other than the dealer that can do it for less.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by asci01 View Post
I'm afraid this is the case. You can try arguing the point with the BMW NA rep. If he says no also, try to negotiate and split the cost or something, or take it to another place other than the dealer that can do it for less.

Good luck.
+1. Suck it up and write the check. You will pay more in time/worry than just getting on with it.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Being in the warranty business I can tell you that when you modify your car you have voided that portion of your warranty. My advice would be to plead ignorance and ask for mercy. I have gotten a lot of claims paid for people based on this approach, try not to be aggressive, BMW is within their rights on this one and are more likley to help if they believe you made an honest mistake.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Bmw 745I
Take the springs off go to another BMW dealer and have the bushings replaced. then put the springs back on. I don't know how much that will cost but it might be cheaper then 700.