Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to Droopy9
Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 318i
brake lights don't work????

Hey Guys,

I need your help to trouble shoot the following issue.

This afternoon I was coming home from work and driving a normal speed when I saw the lights of a police officer behind me. He pulled me over because the brake lights did not work (Don't flash when you push the breaks) except the one I have in the lower back window.
I was surprise because I always tried to keep my car in very good working conditions.
I check my lights and some bulbs were bad so I went to the dealers and replaced all the bulbs. I check for the breaks lights again but still they don't work.

Anyway,
Two weeks ago, I installed some custom light in the front and they said to re-route the signal lamps wires to the driving lamps. The signal lamps fit right to the housing so I did not follow the instruction.

Does anybody have the same issue before? or have the same custom lights on a 318i?

thanks.
Carlos
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Sorry guys I got confused.

I am talking about the tailights. I got a pair of smoke tailights,

Do you know if I have to modify anything before installing them?

thanks again.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:54 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
E36 taillights come in two flavors: for cars with check control and for cars without it. The two are wired differently which often leads to questions like yours. You need to check which variant you got, or if the ones you bought allow it, rewire them for a non-check control car.

I can't tell from what you have written, but were all the bulbs working after you installed and checked the new taillights?

Last edited by johnf; 03-24-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
It is either a failure in the stop light sensor attached to the brake pedal (a problem I had and now it is sorted) or it is a faulty connection, or you've got incompatible lights.

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 03-24-2007, 03:51 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
I had this and it was a faulty connection in the light cluster

Edirty6 for life
Old 03-24-2007, 03:40 PM

I replaced the switch under the brake pedal.

I think John has a good point about the E36 tailights. I went back and looked at the instructions that came with the custom tailights and they tell you to modify the lights if the car is equipped with the check control.

Last night I emailed the guy that I bought the lights from and he replied to me this morning. He set up an exchange return with UPS so I can return the bad tailight with out paying anything for shipping it back. It is cool.
Check his website www.sabersport.com
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 96 540i silver
i am having the same issue.i bought the clear tail lights for my 94 316i british spec and mine doesn't have the system check option.i swapped the tail lights and i lost both brake and fog lights in the rear.how would i rewire the tail light to make it work with mine.please help someone...if anyone knows please e mail me at kerim_kodal@yahoo.com...thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B/\/\W View Post
It is either a failure in the stop light sensor attached to the brake pedal (a problem I had and now it is sorted) or it is a faulty connection, or you've got incompatible lights.
I also am having this issue, since both brake lights are out, and a visuial inspection shows the bulbs are ok, can you elaborate on the stop light sensor? where is this and how can I check it?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: E36 cabriolet
i had simular with my other 320,i put new bulbs in and nothing then i saw that the connector had burnt out on the metal and melted some of the plastic so i just swapped one of the reverse stalkes till i got a replacment.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
vek-mw

Send a message via AIM to bboyvek Send a message via MSN to bboyvek
Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 325i
stuff like this happens when u buy off ebay, stay with the known ones!!
Criminal Law Attorney Carrboro
Costum Web Applications Web Design
Clasificados Empleos Ventas
Landscaping