Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Turn Signal blinks fast?

Normally I expect this to indicate that the bulb is burnt (or a bad connector) but neither appears to be the problem...

So... should I assume it is the switch? If so, is the switch in the stalk? I imagine that'll be a pain in the arse
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Re-seat all of the bulbs, cleaning the connectors with rubbing alcohol when they're out.

Even having a different *brand* of bulb will sometimes cause the problem. When one of my front Solaris Invisibulbs burnt out, I replaced it with the OEM bulb while I waited for a replacement. The turn signals on that one side blinked faster...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Mine show bad rear bulbs all the time. Had one go out and bought a replacement bulb at autozone. Bulb worked but warning light stayed on.
So I bought ALL new bulbs while at autozone

Of course that didnt help either. Closest freaking dealership is 110 miles away

The previous owner which goes to that city alot said he would pick me some up.... 2 months ago

I guess Ill have to order some sometime.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 325Xi
Same problem with mine and only replacing both front turn signal sockets solved it.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalscott View Post
Same problem with mine and only replacing both front turn signal sockets solved it.
Similar story for me.

I had the warning light for a FRONT signal go on and off at random intervals. The blinkers would sometimes go fast, sometimes slow, sometimes not at all. All of the bulbs seemed to work. I was convinced it was the switch. On an unrelated trip to the dealer, they found I had one bad TAIL light and only after replacing it and both REAR blinker bulbs did the problems go away.

Apperently the ECU doesn't like it when several bulbs start to die.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i SMG
I'm running high powered LED's. My warning lamp comes on occassionally but goes away as soon as I use my LED's.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
I had that problem on a Honda Odyssey. I had just replaced the bad bulb but it was still blinking fast. Turns out I had intalled the lamp the wrong way. Just check the bulb you last replaced again.

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 323i 2000
Same problem with my 02 323i
the front signals bulbs blink fast
and sometimes they burt
I changed them 4 times but
is still happening
Maby i shuld replace them with LED's
Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenar View Post
Same problem with my 02 323i
the front signals bulbs blink fast
and sometimes they burt
I changed them 4 times but
is still happening
Maby i shuld replace them with LED's
LEDs won't solve your problem.

New sockets probably will.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci
I was having the same issue in my 2002 325Ci. The right rear blinker showed up as burnt out and the signal lamp started blinking faster. I popped out the bulb assembly and wiggled the lights. (Took them out swapped them around and such) This solved the problem for awhile, but eventually it started up again. Each time the CPU says a bulb is out I just swap the lights around and it seems to clear things up. I'm thinking there might be a connection problem or possibly a ground that is being bumped loose while driving. Its a little annoyance but still a lot cheaper than having it fully replaced.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

'02 325Ci, 5 spd, Premium pkg, HK stereo, Silver, Black leather w/ Al. trim

Pics when I figure out that newfangled camera technology...
Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: '99 BMW 323i
Intermittent bulb problem

I had a similar problem where my left side turn signal blinked fast and I had a bad bulb indicator on the front left. I replaced the bulb but problem and bad bulb indicator remained. I removed the bulb and inspected the socket. The flexible contact at the bottom of the socket had been sprung down and was only occasionally contacting the bulb. I used needlenose pliers to spring it back up. Problem solved. Make sure the switch is off when you do this to prevent blowing the fuse.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM

front right turn signal

Interesting, my right front turn signal seems to be out now and was wondering if anyone would know if it's possible to take my left front turn signal bulb out temporarily and put it on the front right side to see if it's a bad bulb? Any cautions or words of advice on this since I notice someone mentioning to make sure the fuse switch is turned off which I don't really know much about since this will be my first time going under the hood for myself?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by director0512 View Post
Interesting, my right front turn signal seems to be out now and was wondering if anyone would know if it's possible to take my left front turn signal bulb out temporarily and put it on the front right side to see if it's a bad bulb? Any cautions or words of advice on this since I notice someone mentioning to make sure the fuse switch is turned off which I don't really know much about since this will be my first time going under the hood for myself?
Yep, it's easy to swap the bulbs. For instructions on removing the turn signals, see the first part of the My330i.com garage about swapping your signals for clear corners (same procedure, obviously).

If your 325i is a 2001: http://www.my330i.com/mod2.php
If your 325i is a 2002-2005: http://www.my330i.com/mod31.php
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Wow, just checked out your site with all of your detailed photos on how to's. Very impressive

Quick question since mine is a 2003 325i, can I remove the turn signal bulbs by hand or do I need a cloth and not touch the bulb directly?...and if it is a bad bulb and needs to be replaced would I be able to know which bulb in particular it would be and where to get one? I read some other post that someone purchased the wrong one in that they looked similar and didn't have any labeling and mentioned to not go to the dealer since they'll charge much higher than a local auto store?

Thanks a bunch for the quick and insightful reply. Much appreciated
Old 07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
The trick to making the bulbs continue to work properly is the special electric grease you can put in the socket before you put the bulbs back. I wish I could remember what it is called, but ask the auto parts store, they can get it for you. This worked for my 2000 323i that used to show bad turn signals every other day, doesnt now though....
Old 07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by director0512 View Post
Wow, just checked out your site with all of your detailed photos on how to's. Very impressive

Quick question since mine is a 2003 325i, can I remove the turn signal bulbs by hand or do I need a cloth and not touch the bulb directly?...and if it is a bad bulb and needs to be replaced would I be able to know which bulb in particular it would be and where to get one? I read some other post that someone purchased the wrong one in that they looked similar and didn't have any labeling and mentioned to not go to the dealer since they'll charge much higher than a local auto store?

Thanks a bunch for the quick and insightful reply. Much appreciated

Yes, it's good to handle any bulbs with a cloth.

How can you tell which one? Um... turn on your hazard lights, get out of your car, and walk around looking for a light not blinking? I believe you should also see a notification on your dash showing which is out - I do anyway...

My dealer is cheap - $3 or so for a bulb.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
The trick to making the bulbs continue to work properly is the special electric grease you can put in the socket before you put the bulbs back. I wish I could remember what it is called, but ask the auto parts store, they can get it for you. This worked for my 2000 323i that used to show bad turn signals every other day, doesnt now though....
I believe it's just called 'dielectric grease'

Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to wdaveweaver Send a message via Yahoo to wdaveweaver Send a message via Skype™ to wdaveweaver
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Yup dielectric grease is it, as this is the same thing you use for spark plugs cause it reduces corrosion and also is formulated to reduce impendence and allow the electricity to flow more smoothly with less resistence. Should help out.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 AM

Mine turned out to be the tag lights that were burnt out. Never dawned on my to check those since they are tail lights in my opinion. Replace the two bulbs the light the tag up and no more warning light now.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Guys, can you please guide me . I have 2000 BMW 323i sedan. I went through the site but cannot find the right technic to remove bulb. how to remove the front left side signal bulb, as i get the indicator on my dashboard. I tried to go on th url http://www.my330i.com/mod2.php but on this site its say that it has bowl shape on the back of the lens, but i cannot find anything in my 323i. Let me know if you know..
Old 07-12-2007, 07:10 PM

There are tabs to squeeze on the back of the housing. Squeeze and pull basically.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by amet View Post
Guys, can you please guide me . I have 2000 BMW 323i sedan. I went through the site but cannot find the right technic to remove bulb. how to remove the front left side signal bulb, as i get the indicator on my dashboard. I tried to go on th url http://www.my330i.com/mod2.php but on this site its say that it has bowl shape on the back of the lens, but i cannot find anything in my 323i. Let me know if you know..

You just press a screwdriver down in this hole, then pull the entire assembly out..

What can't you do?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Opps I was thinking of the rear ones, didnt notice he said front bulb
Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 PM
BMW Pilot

Send a message via Yahoo to runnr548 Send a message via Skype™ to runnr548
Mein Auto: 9 328i 1 32i5 98/97 328is
My driver side flasher blinks too fast at times, then acts normal. I've also had a headlamp indicator light come on, but all the headlights were working. It too, returns to normal. Who knows?!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Thanks a ton.. Krisl and crowz.... finally i was able to pull the whole assembly and fix the bulb. Thanks guys for all your help..