BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 x5 3.0?

12K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  jcl10 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the 2008 model year will see the bowing of the turbo engine in the X5 3.0? I am just curious, as I recently test drove a 3.0 and found it a little lacking. However, I think $71000 for the 4.8 is a little too much. I have google'd it, but have not found anything reliable.

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
yes I would, also remember the X is very different after it breaks in. I have never had issues merging onto the interstate, I can rocket up to speed. Passing, again no issues at all. I am pleasantly surprised at how fast this baby is. I read alot of comments from 4.8 owners claiming the 3.0 was way under powered for the weight, blah blah....honestly it is all BS.

I feel like I have a sports car in a SUV's body.

BTW- the default transmission setup (D) is very conservative...but if you put the pedal to the floor it really gets up though. I find myself in DS mode for the majority of my city driving and zoom around traffic with ease, and am constantly changing back and forth as needed.

#23 ·
It makes business sense for them to bring the N54 engine to both the X5 and X3 for cost and inventory control reasons.
If BMW doesn't bring the N54 engine to both the X5 and the X3, you will have 2.8/3.0 N52 engines with the 3.0 TT N54 engine which will one engine too many.
The performance gap logic fails to hold water because they just did it with the 5er.
I see the following possibilities:
X3 2.8 & 3.0 TT I6 a la 3er and 5er
X5 3.0 TT I6 to replace the N52 engine.

#10 ·
Anyone know if the 2008 model year will see the bowing of the turbo engine in the X5 3.0?
I asked the same question several times, since I wasn't sure to replace my car first (with a 5) or SUV first (with an X5). At the NY Auto Show, I was told by BMW NA guys that for MY2008 the engine will be the same, ie, no twin turbo engine for X5 3.0.

I don't understand why - a 3600lb 335 has 300 lb.ft torque, while a 5000lb X5 has only 220 lb.ft torque. On C&D's most recent luxo SUV comparo, X5 3.0 is No.7 out of 8 in 0-60, beaten almost by everyone including VW Touerag V6, the known slug in SUV. The new twin-turbo could easily turn X5 into a performance leader again, why BMW doesn't do that?

#17 · (Edited)
Deciding if I should hold out for an '08 turbo and having never studied/owned a BMW before... I need to ask:

1) would it replace the current 3.0 engine altogether or would it be a 3rd model (3.0si, 3.5 turbo, 4.8i) ?

2) if it'll presumably be a 3rd model added to the mix, what's the expected/approximate price difference from the 3.0si ?

#21 ·
Some people here claim they will want the diesel, but so far with the MB diesels, it appears people talk the talk, but do not walk the walk. When you drive one, you might change you mind, since many people have never owned a diesel before, and can not warm up to the slower revving, low redline, and slightly clackity idle of even the most modern of diesels. Not to mention the cost increase for the diesel motor will make some people reconsider. Lastly, most people do not like the messy and smelly refueling of diesels and I can see the fairer sex giving that process a big thumbs down a month into ownership.

PS- The TT Gas motor is a go for 08 in the E70. I know a number of higher-ups at BMW Manufacturing and one of them confirmed it.

#24 ·
Some people here claim they will want the diesel, but so far with the MB diesels, it appears people talk the talk, but do not walk the walk. When you drive one, you might change you mind, since many people have never owned a diesel before, and can not warm up to the slower revving, low redline, and slightly clackity idle of even the most modern of diesels. Not to mention the cost increase for the diesel motor will make some people reconsider. Lastly, most people do not like the messy and smelly refueling of diesels and I can see the fairer sex giving that process a big thumbs down a month into ownership.

PS- The TT Gas motor is a go for 08 in the E70. I know a number of higher-ups at BMW Manufacturing and one of them confirmed it.
I think part of the issue with diesel is primarily how they package the engine vs performance. A critical consideration especially for many BMW owners is performance, if BMW decides to add a bi-turbo to their diesel engine, I'm sure it very well can warm/sway buyers to consider a diesel. Whereas a diesal with low performance values will give buyers second thoughts. Especially when you have rediculus ads by Ford claiming the Edge is faster than the X5, etc.....

#22 ·
If the TT does in fact come in the 08, I will be picking it up end of 07 or first of 08. My wife and I are expecting our first child in November, and she hates our 4runner. I was looking at the Q7, but she is in love with the X5 with Sport, Comfort/Vent seats. So, TT 3.5 or v8 4.8 it will be.

Thanks for the info, and if you hear anything else, please keep us updated.

#26 ·
Anyone know if the 2008 model year will see the bowing of the turbo engine in the X5 3.0? I am just curious, as I recently test drove a 3.0 and found it a little lacking. However, I think $71000 for the 4.8 is a little too much. I have google'd it, but have not found anything reliable.

Thanks!
$71000 for a x5? where did you go for the quote? 90210?? :rofl:

#28 ·
Well, almost fully loaded the x5 4.8 (which is what I stated in my MARCH post) is $72,200. That includes sport, 20inch wheels, ventilated/perf seats, cold weather, rear seating heating, L7, iPod, Nav, Sirius, Premium. That does NOT include Heads Up, HD radio, Comfort access or Rear Seat Ent.

So, look at when the post was made (March) and the fact that they were still close to MSRP at that time and now. So, my orignal estimate was right on the money....

#31 ·
DS Over stated - just OK

Sorry

You are way over selling driving in DS mode vs D mode, yes its a bit of boost -- but the 2003 X5 3.0 that I traded for my 07 (Feb build) had much better power. I was hoping for improvement after break in -- no joy -- over 3K miles now.

Somewhat disappointing -- thinking about trading out to 4.4 because I otherwise love the car.

#32 ·
supposedly some announcement today about the '08... ?

#33 ·
Didn't bmw release the bigger 6 cylinder in the x5 and x3 within the same year it was released in the 330i? I couldn't imagine them waiting until the 2009 model. They need a peppier 6 cylinder to compete with a bigger Porsche v6 (which for some reason is growing on me). We'll be selling our 2004 Discovery soon so the x3 3.0, v6 cayenne, ml350, or gl450 will all be a huge improvement powerwise. I usually don't advocate waiting for the following model year unless there's a significant improvement. I'd be a bit bummed with a 2007 x5 3.0 if the 2008 model comes out in 6mo with the turbo engine though.

#34 ·
I can't think of any reason why both the X3 and the X5 will not get the N54 engine for 2008 Model.
I can see a case for Europe and the rest of the world getting the N52/53 engine, but North America will get the Twin Turbo engine to bring them in-line with the 3er and the 5er.
2008 MY3 series: N52/N54 engine
2008 MY5 series: N52/N54 engine
2008 MYX3: N54 engine with a possibility of having the N52 engine line reintroduced.
2008 MYX5: N54/N62 engine with the possibility of the N62 engine being replaced by the N64 engine as in the MY2009 lineup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.