Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2003, 08:54 AM
scy scy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Minneapolis, MN
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: '00 Z3 Coupe
Onboard computer and clock wiring question

I purchased a '02 Z3 chrome dash and is thinking about replacing my Z3 dash with the updated dash.
My Z3 has the rectangular OBC with clock, temp, mpg, etc. The new dash came with the round clock but no round OBC.

My question is whether or not the OBC uses the same electrical connector as the clock? I couldn't care less for the OBC if I could plug the clock into the dash and have it work without modification.

I could open up the dash to look at the current OBC connector, but it's way too cold for that and I'm hoping someone here remembers what the OBC connector looks like.

The clock has a three pin connector.
If the OBC connector is different, does someone here have a round OBC from a '00-'02 Z3 forsale?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Re: Onboard computer and clock wiring question

Quote:
Originally posted by scy
The clock has a three pin connector.
If the OBC connector is different, does someone here have a round OBC from a '00-'02 Z3 forsale?
Thanks.
The OBC connector is 12 pin.
The round OBC 62 13 8 383 661 retails for $164.00. It is the same rectangular one that you have with a round bezel. You will have to have it coded or swap the bezels.
Paul McLaughlin at South Motors BMW in FL will discount 25% from suggested retail. 1-800-883-7278.



Last edited by Ron Stygar; 01-26-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2003, 09:17 PM
scy scy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Minneapolis, MN
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: '00 Z3 Coupe
Re: Re: Onboard computer and clock wiring question

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Stygar
The OBC connector is 12 pin.
The round OBC 62 13 8 383 661 retails for $164.00. It is the same rectangular one that you have with a round bezel. You will have to have it coded or swap the bezels.
Paul McLaughlin at South Motors BMW in FL will discount 25% from suggested retail. 1-800-883-7278.

Yeah I read that the OBC needs to be "coded within 36 hours" from the ETK, but I don't know what that means.
Is the OBC "married" to the VIN, ala JimC's Shark Injector? Does this mean I can't use an OBC from another Z3? How do I code and uncode the OBC?

I didn't know I could swap the bezels. So if I can find a wrecked Z3 OBC, I can just swap bezels without going through the hassels with the code.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Re: Re: Re: Onboard computer and clock wiring question

Quote:
Originally posted by scy
Yeah I read that the OBC needs to be "coded within 36 hours" from the ETK, but I don't know what that means.
Is the OBC "married" to the VIN, ala JimC's Shark Injector? Does this mean I can't use an OBC from another Z3? How do I code and uncode the OBC?

I didn't know I could swap the bezels. So if I can find a wrecked Z3 OBC, I can just swap bezels without going through the hassels with the code.

Thanks again.
The dealer codes the OBC to the type of car. The coded OBC in my 318ti works in my Z but the mpg and miles left were not accurate.
The bezel swap is a good assumption.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Daver Daver is offline
Shake well
Location: Folsom, CA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: 2003 325iT
My dad's 2002 Z3 Coupe doesn't have one, and he'd really like one. So is it as simple as purchasing an OBC module (assume self-install) and having it coded by the dealer?

I thought AndyM didn't find an OBC connector in his recent dash disassembly.

And, assuming the connector is present, and I get it installed and coded by the dealer, what about the toggle function that is supposed to be on the left stem?

Do no OBC cars have the same stem (and the function unused), or will that need to be replaced as well ... or can a momentary switch be installed elsewhere (e.g., switch blank adjacent to steering wheel)?
__________________

daver -- 2003 325iT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2003, 10:12 PM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Kansas City
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,411
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by Daver
I thought AndyM didn't find an OBC connector in his recent dash disassembly.
I didn't see one. We didn't spend a lot of time looking and I would imagine that it could have been tucked away under the carpet (as BMW likes to do). There were no connectors just sitting around.
__________________
Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms