Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
2001 325i p0171,p0174 and assorted missfire codes

Hello all, Well my story started with my sons 325i and the ck engine light. Yes lean bank 1&2 codes and a variety of missfire codes. I started with the fuel filter which needed replacement. I noticed quite a vacuum in the crank case.Some people said you should have vacuum and some not. Well to straighten out this mystery you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE A STRONG VACUUM IN THE CRANK CASE. It should be very little vacuum with the oil cap off and just about nothing with the dipstick out. I have been a mechanic for many years and have very little bmw experience, however my sons 325i sure looked to me like a vacuum leak in progress. I checked the air intake tubes, the intake and every component with carb spray. No leak was found. I read once about a problem with oil separator valves. I went to bmw and dropped $62 down for one and went home to have a look under the hood. Needless to say I cant see anything that resembles the part. After searching the net I found a parts diagram and this valve is under the center of the intake manifold.The air adjuster must be removed on the intake manifold along with the air box all intake hoses,the wiring harness block and unplug most ends to be able to move the block out of the way,dipstick tube,throttle body,upper fuel rail trim cover.Now you can see ths oil/separator valve,two torx screws hold it on.There are three hoses on the valve.Replace all hoses with the valve.One hose on top of the valve goes through the intake manifold and twists on. It took one hour to install that one.The middle hose goes to the left side of the upper valve cover.Squeeze them together with your fingers to release.The third hose is on the bottom of the valve and goes to the dipstick tube.That hose is the cause of all the problems because it clogs up with crank case doo doo and causes the hose to collapse under vacuum and then sends the valve off tilt and a great internal vacuum leak takes place in the crank case.After changing these parts the car is running like a pedigree once again. Allow four or five hours for this job and a cup of starbucks. I hope this helps someone,
Zatoich

Last edited by zatoich; 04-04-2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Left out info
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Welcome to the 'fest!

Sounds like this writeup would be good for the DIY section!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Welcome to the 'Fest! You may have more luck with your question(s) if you post them in the 3-series/E46 section of this forum.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Yes Sir, my mistake.....................you know (new guy)
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Welcome aboard. You have been officially welcomed to the 'Fest.
ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Greta is for SALE. 2002 M5
Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome aboard firehire.You have some nice rides there,good luck.
Take care,
zatoich