Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Bimmer Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Low Brake Fluid Symptoms

What are some the symptoms when your brake fluid is low? And if it's low, can I just add more, and do I need to flush the brake fluid reservoir first?

Thanks....

Last edited by Bimmer Fanatic; 04-08-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Misspell...
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e38 e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Fanatic View Post
What are some the symptoms when your brake fluid is low? And if it's low, can I just add more, and do I need to flush the brake fluid reservoir first?

Thanks....
Yes, you can add brake fluid any time and no, you don't have to flush the resevoir first. You should replace your brake fluid every 2 years as a matter of proper maintenance

What makes you think your brake fluid is low? Is it because your brake pedal feels spongy or numb? If that's the case you need to bleed your brakes to remove the air bubbles from the brake lines. Simply adding brake fluid to the resevoir will not solve your problem.
CDV Delete
M5 Rear Sway
Rogue WSR & Short Shifter
Rogue Tranny Mounts
Euro Armrest
Aspheric side mirrors
Custom Dension iPod mount
Bluetooth

2001 740i Short Sport
Completely stock...for now
Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i M-Sport
Well, my brake and DSC lights stayed on when my fluid was low and I just topped it off. I will be changing my brakes soon, so I will be flushing the fluids out.

2005 X5 4.4, Cold Weather and Premium package.
2011 528i Titanium Silver M-Sport, P1, P2, 2TB, Xenon
--------------------------------------
Retired - 2002 Topaz Blue 530I, Sports Package
Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Bimmer Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Yeah, my brakes feel soft, and not hard like they use to and maybe need some new pads...in fact I will get new pads. what does the stealer charge for a set of oem brake pads? my check engine light is on too so i got to see if that is related to poor brakes...

alomst hot a damn can yesterday; he came out of nowhere. i slammed the brakes, and the vehicle stopped like 3 feet from hitting the cab. the brakes are bad...so I need new pads , and just wanted to know about brake fluid...guess ill bleed them and get new pads...how much are the pads though..

thanks
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
The "BRAKE" light in your dash means your pads are too low. That light comes on when the sensor in one of the pads (there are two: driver's front, passenger rear) is worn through when the pad gets under 2 mm thick. It has nothing to do with your fluid levels.

Edit: Your DSC, Check engine, and BRAKE lights are all on? You need to get to a mechanic pronto to get the codes read.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 04-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: e38 e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis530i View Post

Edit: Your DSC, Check engine, and BRAKE lights are all on? You need to get to a mechanic pronto to get the codes read.
Dude, it's late, get some sleep. 2 different guys had 2 different sets of lights come on. One guy had the DSC and Brake lights, the other guy has the SES light.
CDV Delete
M5 Rear Sway
Rogue WSR & Short Shifter
Rogue Tranny Mounts
Euro Armrest
Aspheric side mirrors
Custom Dension iPod mount
Bluetooth

2001 740i Short Sport
Completely stock...for now
Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbaman View Post
Dude, it's late, get some sleep. 2 different guys had 2 different sets of lights come on. One guy had the DSC and Brake lights, the other guy has the SES light.
Yeah, long day yesterday.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
E Nomine.....Das Omen!

Mein Auto: Oxford Green BMW E39 523i
Quote:
You should replace your brake fluid every 2 years as a matter of proper maintenance

See my car popped a clock symbol on,i figured it must have been some thing for the brakes and once i read the hand book it was off to have the fluid replaced,so one assumes that bmw set this light to go on with in there recommended time frame eh?