Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
E90 '06 325XI Headlight Washer Fluid Leak

Anybody have issues with their '06 325XI headlight washer? I filled up my windshield washer fluid tank since I got the warning message of low fluid. I come back a couple of hour later to find out blue fluid dripping from underneath driver side front bumper. That's the only leak I could visually detect. I'll drop off at dealer tomorrow. See pics.

On a different subject, When I close my front hood the driver side does not seal tight. There is a small gap of a few centermeter between passenger side and driver side front hood. The passenger side seems to always slam shut while the driver side would leave a small gap you could fit a pinky finger through. It would take me a couple of tries of slamming at various speed for it to lock tightly on both side. I was able to shimmy the hinges on both side underneath the hood. Is it suppose to be that way? See pics.

Thanks, I hope that washer fluid isn't a common problem for E90s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	104360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	104361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	104362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	104363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	104364  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	104365  
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325xi 6sp
I had similar headlight washer's on my ex Audi A4. And they were very prone to leaking, especially during winter times. They used to operate on very high pressure supplied from a strong pump. There is a strong spring inside the washer nozzles; the water pressure built up on the hoses pushes them up like that and spray. I try not to use them when there is ice on the bumper which could block the washer nozzles moving up. I am not sure if it is related, but could be. It could be related to some of the water inside the hoses being already frozen also, when the car has not heated up well.

The other day I also noticed that my hood on driver side wasn't closing full. After the third try it did, and I left it like that. I hadn't seen it happen before.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I had similar headlight washer's on my ex Audi A4. And they were very prone to leaking, especially during winter times. They used to operate on very high pressure supplied from a strong pump. There is a strong spring inside the washer nozzles; the water pressure built up on the hoses pushes them up like that and spray. I try not to use them when there is ice on the bumper which could block the washer nozzles moving up. I am not sure if it is related, but could be. It could be related to some of the water inside the hoses being already frozen also, when the car has not heated up well.

The other day I also noticed that my hood on driver side wasn't closing full. After the third try it did, and I left it like that. I hadn't seen it happen before.
You might be right. We did go through a few icy conditions recently and I tend to use it inadvertantly when the lights are on. I have been filling it by the gallons recently and only just notice this today. I hope this is not a regular occurance every winter or else it could prove costly when my warranty is up.

My hood does not close properly everytime, not just sometime. It would always take a couple tries.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: SG 330xi
Uh, yeah, we don't experience freezing temps here where we live, but ours broke anyway!
We just had it replaced a few weeks ago. We also went thru gallons and gallons, but we could never find the source of the leak until as you said, you finally noticed in under the driver's side headlight.

SG 330xi:6MT:Sport Package:Black/Aluminum:iPod MOST:BlackLines: 35% F1 Pinnacle
Have you hugged your car today?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 AM

Could this be the start of a common e90 problem??? Come to think of it I remember complaints of owners going through gallons of washer fluids awhile ago on the forum and I would always respond by saying the combination of windshield and headlight washer spraying was the reason for the frequent low windshield washer warning light.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: '06 325xi 6sp
If you don't see some water on the ground after overnight parking (it will be a small wet area on the pavement), then it is not a leak. Headlight washer's do use a lot of water in my experience. They look very cool when they operate, popping up and spraying like that. But I don't like them, because they are so prone to leaking, and I am never driving through mud . If the leak is from the washer nozzle it will need to be replaced. Sometimes the hose fittings leak though. At one point the pump had cracked with my A4.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E90
I am having the same issue. In February 2008 I noticed the problem on the passenger side. Took it to the dealer for service and it took them all day to find the problem. Fixed it.

Now just one year later I am seeing the same problem on the drivers side. I am not sue what the problem is. Does it have to do with the different composition of the winter grade washer fluid that I use?

Clearly in my mind if it happened on only one side and not again - ok just a glitch. If it happens first on one side then on the other, must be a recurring design issue.

Might be called the ultimate driving machine, but to me it seem slike the ultimate little problem after little problem machine.

Anyone have a DIY fix?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 135i M Sport
Mine went on my 06 330xi the day after Ipicked up the car. Dealer replaced both the next day.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i sport package
does the dealer charge for inspection if the car is under warranty?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: Something or other
Both my e90's (330i and 330xi) leaked on the front passenger side. I think one may have been due to dealer not filling up with good enough solution (i.e. mostly water) and me driving to vermont causing it to freeze. The second car did it on its own... Really the only fault I've had with either car.