Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Mein Auto: M235i EBII
Too bad, Looks like DDM coilover kit will not be available for E39 yet.
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Angry

Hey has anyone ran into this problem with there force induction setup?

I had this kit installed back on Nov of 2008 it ran great for about 1 month, then the blower took a crap. Right after Christmas this happened, I have been without my car since then.

So let me start off by tell you what happened. I was driving around car was running great, went over to a friends and parked the car outside, it was really cold. About an 45min to and hour later I got in my car started it up it ran fine, then all of a sudden the blower made a really weird noise and the the check engine light came on, i felt it start to misfire. I parked the car had it towed to the shop the next day. Sent the blower back into vortech to be rebuild because it had failed, got it back put it back on cleared the codes on the ecu, it runs great at idle for about 2 mins after resetting the codes, then cylinder number 2 injector shuts down, and misfires turning on the check engine light. cylinder 4 misfires as well but this doesn't happen all the time its random. My mechanic seems to think it is the ECU, anyways this is what we have checked so far.

Checked all the ignition coil packs, changed them.
Checked all the spark plugs (changed them again after I had changed them when I had the supercharger kit installed).
Marked the injectors and moves cylindar #2 to #3 to see if it was a injector problem, it did not follow the injector.
Changed a bunch of sensors, O2 sensors are throwing a error code to we replaced both of those and they are still getting error codes.
Changed the MAF sensor.
Did a compression test, and leak down test. everything is good there. No leaks, and compression is good on all cylinders.

Next step we are going to try is check the connection on the injector or ignition coil.
Then if thats good.
Start removing stuff from the equation, remove the blower and run the engine normally aspirated, to see if it still is doing it.

Then after that I guess order a new ECU, get everything coded to the new ECU, then ship it back to vf-engineering to be reprogrammed. And hopefully that fixes it if not I don't know what it is and ill be out around 10k+ + time

So I was just going to post on here to see if anyone knew of anything I could try before I order a new ECU, and hopefully that will fix it, or just order a new engine, or maybe just say **** it and get a new car.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 AM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

I have not had any problem on my VF Engineering S/C for over two years now. PM jon@theMshop. He knows somebody from Florida that can reprogram ECUs for VF setup. IMHO, it would be more cost effective to find a used ECU and send it for reprogramming before you do the hardware process of elimination.
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallido View Post
I have not had any problem on my VF Engineering S/C for over two years now. PM jon@theMshop. He knows somebody from Florida that can reprogram ECUs for VF setup. IMHO, it would be more cost effective to find a used ECU and send it for reprogramming before you do the hardware process of elimination.
Hey MVallido,
If you had to do it over again, would you opt for the EES twin screw, or still go with the VF stage 1 or stage 2?

Or even a custom turbo setup?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Hey MVallido,
If you had to do it over again, would you opt for the EES twin screw, or still go with the VF stage 1 or stage 2?

Or even a custom turbo setup?

Thanks!
Jason
ESS Twin Screw baby! But if they had the 535i turbo three years ago, I surely would have sold my E39. Don't get me wrong, the E39/SC with the Level 10 tranny still turns me on every time I turn the ignition! Just upgraded my lights to DDM Tuning HIDs and I love it. DDM Tuning coil-overs hopefully by next week.
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Just a Gigolo

Mein Auto: '02 540iA '05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ODell View Post
yeah, yawn.

that 5er ess ts setup looked sweet.

regarding the CRC cleaner. I just had a MAF that would not clean with it. I sprayed and sprayed only to continue idle/decelration stall issues. I happend to have an extra new MAF and swapped. Ran perfect.
Hey Dell, what's up? Still have your blown 540? Did you ever rig up a custom intercooler?
'05 M3 Track Beast - Ground Control coilovers - APEX Arc8's in Nitto NT01's - Fabspeed Headers - ESS Tune - Auto Club 1:58.5 - Streets 1:29.9
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."—President Bush; Interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006
Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 03 530, 04 Z4
Dell disappeared almost a year ago. I don't think he ever did the intercooler. I think a family emergency put everything to a halt
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Turns out it wasn't the ECU/DME. My mechanic had tried everything he could thing, compression test, smoked the system, checked injectors, ignition coils, spark plugs, etc.. Finally he opened it up like I had mentioned to him in the first place, I even asked him if it could be anything internal, he told me there was nothing wrong with it internal so many times but never opened it up to make sure... Then when he finally opened it up took a look at the head and sure enough even though all the compression and everything was great no leaks etc.. Guess cylinder 2 and 4 had bent valves (not to sure how this happend don't know if when the sc when bad this could of caused it, idk maybe some backfire or some crazy crap.) , so he sent the head to the machine shop for inspection they said the head was cracked in two places. Anyways after about almost 2-3 months now they have figured out what is wrong with it. But I also have another question, mechanic says he can get a re manufactured head from California for $1400.00 USD and then get everything including all parts that are needed, total bill is going to be right around $5000.00 USD including taxes and labor I think the labor is 18 hours I am wondering if this sound about right. I think they have to replace the water pump and some other parts as well. Also I am wondering if I should do anything to the head while its out such as port the exhaust holes and exhaust manifold to match those, thus increasing the flow of exhaust. "But mechanic says if I do this it will void his warranty. Not to sure what his warranty is but yeah." Let me know if anyone know if there is anything I should do. Also down the road are there any transmission mods I can do to this vehicle? Right now it just has the stock 5 speed manual trans, no upgraded clutch or anything, although it does have a modified CDV. Also if there is anything else I can do to this vehicle please let me know, maybe a bigger fuel pump? Oh and its a 528i 2000 E39.

I was just going to see if I could do a increased capacity engine from Noelle motors but they don't return phone calls or emails. So I guess that's out of the question. Also I don't know if I would be able to use the super charger on a increased capacity engine, anyone know?

Thanks...

P.S. I know the guy at the machine shop as well that would do all the work for pretty cheap, but would it be worth it?

Oh and yeah I was driving my friends car today and the piece of **** hood flew open on the freeway doing 80mph hah, good old previous wrecked car what a POS, but I am already getting that fixed. Just ruined the hood and a fender and the hinges and broke the windshield even more, good old Infinity G35X its the biggest pos. Note to all never buy a G35 they are the crappiest cars. The VIN on the car even says so, starts with JNK********** stands for JUNK.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 PM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Quote:
Too bad, Looks like DDM coilover kit will not be available for E39 yet.
I've been too busy with work stuff and hopefully DDMtuning will be able to test the coilover kit for my car in two weeks. If not, I might just go with bilstein and HR Springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bilstein and HR.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	191154  
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to refatb
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39528iSC View Post
Turns out it wasn't the ECU/DME. My mechanic had tried everything he could thing, compression test, smoked the system, checked injectors, ignition coils, spark plugs, etc.. Finally he opened it up like I had mentioned to him in the first place, I even asked him if it could be anything internal, he told me there was nothing wrong with it internal so many times but never opened it up to make sure... Then when he finally opened it up took a look at the head and sure enough even though all the compression and everything was great no leaks etc.. Guess cylinder 2 and 4 had bent valves (not to sure how this happend don't know if when the sc when bad this could of caused it, idk maybe some backfire or some crazy crap.) , so he sent the head to the machine shop for inspection they said the head was cracked in two places. Anyways after about almost 2-3 months now they have figured out what is wrong with it. But I also have another question, mechanic says he can get a re manufactured head from California for $1400.00 USD and then get everything including all parts that are needed, total bill is going to be right around $5000.00 USD including taxes and labor I think the labor is 18 hours I am wondering if this sound about right. I think they have to replace the water pump and some other parts as well. Also I am wondering if I should do anything to the head while its out such as port the exhaust holes and exhaust manifold to match those, thus increasing the flow of exhaust. "But mechanic says if I do this it will void his warranty. Not to sure what his warranty is but yeah." Let me know if anyone know if there is anything I should do. Also down the road are there any transmission mods I can do to this vehicle? Right now it just has the stock 5 speed manual trans, no upgraded clutch or anything, although it does have a modified CDV. Also if there is anything else I can do to this vehicle please let me know, maybe a bigger fuel pump? Oh and its a 528i 2000 E39.

I was just going to see if I could do a increased capacity engine from Noelle motors but they don't return phone calls or emails. So I guess that's out of the question. Also I don't know if I would be able to use the super charger on a increased capacity engine, anyone know?

Thanks...

P.S. I know the guy at the machine shop as well that would do all the work for pretty cheap, but would it be worth it?

Oh and yeah I was driving my friends car today and the piece of **** hood flew open on the freeway doing 80mph hah, good old previous wrecked car what a POS, but I am already getting that fixed. Just ruined the hood and a fender and the hinges and broke the windshield even more, good old Infinity G35X its the biggest pos. Note to all never buy a G35 they are the crappiest cars. The VIN on the car even says so, starts with JNK********** stands for JUNK.
try to find some one parting out a 1999-2000 528i with M52TU engine OR 2001-2003 530i, they both use identical cylinder heads.

*my head was cracked on my M52 engine and i found out that the M50 has the same Head, but different temp sensors, s0o i just swapped them over and i picked up a good head for $300
$1,400 for a cylinder head is over prices, you can get your one remanufactured for $500

Last edited by refatb; 07-21-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Quote:
I've been too busy with work stuff and hopefully DDMtuning will be able to test the coilover kit for my car in two weeks. If not, I might just go with bilstein and HR Springs.
Well I got tired of waiting for the DDM Tuning Coil-over kit so I went with Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. I paid $1080 for the kit, labor, fender roll and alignment. So far I am very happy with the results and Eric Conner(owner of Socalsuspensiongarage.com) told me to take it back after 500 miles for a quick check. So if you are from San Diego and looking for a one stop shop for suspension work, visit Eric. Attached is his 6 series. I'll post my pics when I get a chance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eric six.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	194934  
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528i
Hi guys been reading thru your thread as i am seriously thinking about getting the VF s/c kit for my 99 528i, which to the best of my knowledge would be a first in Ireland.

Im worred how ever about the amount of miles i have on the engine there's 130000miles (ie over 200000KM) on her and i think it could end up finishing of my engine.
I'm afraid i not that versed in s/c's and turbos and wonder if you's have any advice?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Been talking to sean from vf and he's doing me what sounds like a good deal. anyone ever put the kit on a automatic 528i clutch is my only worry did you's have to upgrade?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 PM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber252 View Post
Been talking to sean from vf and he's doing me what sounds like a good deal. anyone ever put the kit on a automatic 528i clutch is my only worry did you's have to upgrade?
Mine is automatic and I did the Level 10 tranny upgrade. So far I am happy with the level 10 performance. Most of my friends that rode with me thought I was driving stick because I normally start off with S3 then shift to drive. It shifts fast and firm.
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 AM

Chears for the info mvallido i've decided to line up a manual 530 before going for the s/c i just think there's to many miles on my old 528 i think she'd explode if i strapped a s/c on the side!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBss View Post
lol i bet the 540's are suprised when you start pulling!
Not really...no. I dont get "pulled" by to much.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Bilstein and Eibach

Finally got a chance to take a quick shot of the front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	204234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	204235  
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 97 540i6
i cant wait to supercharge my 540
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Cleaned and recharged my K&N cone air filter today after 20K miles. It was PITA because I have to take the front left tire to get to it. After taking the air filter out, it was fairly clean.
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
rubber252, if you decide to turbo your automatic I would definitely recommend some type of an upgrade. Just make sure the torque converter you get isn't to big because it will make it annoying to drive if the stall is really high.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstealth View Post
i cant wait to supercharge my 540
With what? Not many choices for 540 beside VF

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber252 View Post
Hi guys been reading thru your thread as i am seriously thinking about getting the VF s/c kit for my 99 528i, which to the best of my knowledge would be a first in Ireland.

Im worred how ever about the amount of miles i have on the engine there's 130000miles (ie over 200000KM) on her and i think it could end up finishing of my engine.
I'm afraid i not that versed in s/c's and turbos and wonder if you's have any advice?
SCr is hard on pistons and rings. If you are using oil then maybe not so good, adding oil between changes.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
2B1ASK1[GLOP]-RSL151

Four years and 40K miles after the install and still going strong. I'll probably change the drive belts soon.
2B1ASK1 BMWCCA #421240
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 528i
well im new to this forum and am definitley interested in s/cing my e39.i have a 2000 528i sport, it has been my daily for about 3 years now. just sold my project car and was looking into modding my e39 some more. just want to know exactly what i need to upgrade before installing a supercharger.

as of now it has vugtland springs
m5 kit all around including mirrors
acs front style lip
acs style roof wing
trunk lip wing
smoked tails, side markers
black housing angel eyes with the eye lids and 8k hids and also 10k fogs

income tax is awsome. just ordered
cd/sl rotors all around and pads
ksport 36way coils
acs exhaust tip

i am in the market for wheels. cant happen to find any 5x120 with fitments i like so i was thinking of running ichibia 15mm adapters and 5x114.3 wheels and kmac rear cambers kit. any insight on this would be great.

realized the m5 badge was chessy a bit too late lol.

some pics of my old project

ready to get my e39 up to par. some help and advice would be great.

Last edited by alpine-e39; 02-23-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: E39 Mtec
Hi there people, My name is ryan and i am new to this forum and live in the UK.

I have joined this site to get some help and info please guys, my car is below:

1999 528i steptronic MTEC

Now its a weekend car really, and with next year i will be pulling the engine out of the car as even though the engine is solid i wana do a rebuild on it from gaskets, to rings to bearing caps etc.

Now i am really looking hard in to this super charging kit for the e39 but this is where you guys come in as i need some info:

.I have looked though here and i see super charged and twin screw, whats the diffrence and whats better etc.

.What are the gains like even with the auto box

.Would anything have to be done to bulk up the engine if i was to super charge

.Wheres the best place to buy from

.And i have seems postes about a tranny 10 upgrade, what is this.

I t would be cool to get some info here as again i am not looking to do any thing just yet as we have just moved but with in next year i realy want to look in to this but need help from the sc guys like your selfs

Ryan.