Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
OK. Just picked up my '10 550i 6-speed (no AS) last week.

Making sharp left (I'm in the Northern Hemisphere ) turn from standstill I get a "groan" from the front end. Has only happened a couple of times so far and I've been busy so haven't had a time to try to reproduce it but it's there. Haven't noticed vibration in the steering wheel but this doesn't happen on right turns.

I'll do some more experimenting and bring it in next time I get a chance and keep you posted.

At least we know it's not the HPFP!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
The same thing happened to my 07 550i, too.
Sport Pkg/Cold Weather Pkg/Comfort Access System/Power Rear Sunshade w/ Rear Manual Slide Window Shades/20-way Power Multi-Contour Front Seats/Navigation System/Sirius Satellite Radio/Park Distance Control
Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
My '05 545i (no Active Steering) has the same problem. It started off as a high pitched squeak at low speed turns. The dealer's mechanic could not replicate and we drove around the parking lot quite a bit without getting that noise. After a few months it turned in to a "whirrrrrr" creaking noise that I could hear consistently. I took the car in and the SA admitted that they could also hear it and he said that they greased up the steering column with Lithium grease. He said that the noise was still there and it might take the grease a couple of days to settle in and eliminate the noise. He also admitted that if that did not solve the noise they had no other solutions. The noise is still there after a month or so. I don't hear any alarming thumps or clunks like some others have reported and I guess we'll have to turn up the music to drown out the whirrr and the squeeeaaal...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Well one thing I noticed in pattern here is that everyone with the high pitch sound are owners of a V8.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
noise while steering low speed with brakes depressed

I have an 08 550i with 33k and the dealer just replaced the front brake pads since they were under 7.5mm level which is BMW spec for the warranty repalcement. When I drove it home and made a slow speed left turn into the driveway it made the sound everyone is describing. The rubbing sound seems like it is coming betweeen the brake pad and the disc as if the disc was very dry!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i Sport
I think my car makes the same noise. I would describe it as a groan lasting about 1 second and I only hear it when turning right into my garage. Don't think I'll stress out about it after reading the other posts.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 550
Exclamation BMW won't take car back

Hi I posted awhile ago car still at dealership. BMW is saying this noise is normal and is totally safe and not unusual at all. I can't believe that after all this time
BMW just told me to fly a kite. They are saying that bg stop squeal is a fix dident work no they replaced a high pressure line in ps pump here is a list of things that were done on my vehicle get ready new brake job 3 times replaced strut brace ,power steering pump ,lubed steering colum, both remote batterys, new tranny pan and gasket, rack and pinion, drive belt tensioner, new transmission, front left and right calipers, new I drive controller, new ac compressor, new front tires excessive road testing in circles, 2 new front wheel bearings, replace pressure line on ps to ars , removed lot damage to roof and painted bumper. The vehicle has been at the authorized BMW dealship and now BMW is trying to say this is normal can we get some new post on your problems and maybe a class action suit I don't know what to do now
the dealership is giving me problems about taking the car back my problem is persist ANd I feel like the car isn't going To stop I don't fell safe everyone be careful it's in the brakes
BMW thinks otherwise this is so ridiculous Eric from customer relations direct phone number is 1614 718 6235 and let's call these guys they know what's goin on I need more customers with the same problem my name is James C my
vehicle has been in hassel BMW
freeport ny in the shop for months let them know you have the same problem and James c sent you. I cannot leave this problem it's bad for me
and unsafe hassel BMW phone number 516 868 4554 press 2 and ask to speak to jay decker gm or mr Harvey or vincent torres let these
guys know you have the
problem BMW has said with engineers looking and driving the car it's been fixed 9 times there wrong I am at a
major loss here and need help 2006 BMW 550 all options silver
problem and it's
not normal
Old 04-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2005 545i SMG
It started to happening to me like 3 months ago whenever i turn right while parking i hear noise and sometimes even during driving between 20 to 35 mph. but when you guys apply breaks does your steering shakes? no matter how fast or slow you're going. My issue was every time i apply breaks at any speed steering was shaking. Took my car to my buddy shop and get it checked out completely. We discovered front near control arms were bad, one was completely out of life. So i just replaced both control arms and now the issue has been resolved no noise and steering is not shaking anymore. I have been driving it since last saturday so far no noise. Thank GOD.!
Some of my people started to think I'm crazy lol.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 550
The car has been inspected up and down BMW Cannot fix it . I am furious that they just blow off there customers . This noise is not normal and I cannot just live with it it's loud at times I don't feel safe driving it's in the brakes
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2005 545i SMG
Well folks mine got resolved after replacing the front rear control arms. Maybe everyone else has different issue.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Ok - so if you can replicate the problem at slow speeds either backing or moving forward and hear a click, and it comes on when you turn your wheel 90 degrees either way, then I'm going to say it's the steering spindle.

That's what ended up being the issue with my 04-545i
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to hkninja
Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock545i View Post
Ok - so if you can replicate the problem at slow speeds either backing or moving forward and hear a click, and it comes on when you turn your wheel 90 degrees either way, then I'm going to say it's the steering spindle.

That's what ended up being the issue with my 04-545i
My does that! Tight turns or turning into my garage it will click and I could feel it on my steering wheel. I'm bringing it back to the dealership next week. I hope they will address the problem.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i M Sport
Same issue here on a 2008 550i M Sport 20k miles
Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Thanks for resurrecting this one. I have my car in the shop to take care of issues under the original warranty (currently at 49640 miles). I had the control arm bushings replaced last month because of squeaking when going over speed bumps, and that issue is resolved. But the car still makes noise when turning into parking spaces while braking. I forgot all about that and will now call the dealer to have it looked into and hopefully resolved.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 05 525i
brought my 05 525 in about a heat ago for a clunk noise when i turned left. they said they replaced the track n opinion and when i got it back it was gone. but its back now and will be back at the dealership in a week or so.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebmw View Post
brought my 05 525 in about a heat ago for a clunk noise when i turned left. they said they replaced the track n opinion and when i got it back it was gone. but its back now and will be back at the dealership in a week or so.
rack and pinion.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Alpine White 535i
I have the same issue when turning hard right when parking. No shake/shutter, just a loud squeak.

Help!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
^^Back from the dead. Ill just add mines. 08 550i M, happens when i turn into my garage. The sound is like, i would say if you were trying to hold your fart in public but had to let it out "hooooooiiittt". Sorry couldnt describe it any other way.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: '07 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPE View Post
I have an 08 550i with 33k and the dealer just replaced the front brake pads since they were under 7.5mm level which is BMW spec for the warranty repalcement. When I drove it home and made a slow speed left turn into the driveway it made the sound everyone is describing. The rubbing sound seems like it is coming betweeen the brake pad and the disc as if the disc was very dry!!!
I could've said this word for word for my car (07 550i). Went for a brake job at the dealer. THey did rotors/pads on the front. Since then I've been having the occasional sound when turning left. I can't reproduce it at will and it seems to happen mostly when I come back from a hwy drive, or when i park my car at work (again after hwy drive)

I reasoned it myself as a problem with tight new pads bending due to camber and rubbing onto the rotor when turning. Alas, it's been 2 months (1K miles or so) and the sound is still there.

I've been meaning to take it apart and put it together myself just to make sure it isn't caused by bad install work...

has anyone solved their issue by doing anything similar around the rotors/calipers/pads?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
07' 550i 75,000 have same noise. That noise came with cold weather, turn left or right with slight brakes applied. I was trying duplicate with brakes apply, but not much success.
So I guess all our cars went at least one brake replaced, and we did at the dealer, (free maintenance up 50,000 ) So i guess US market got brakes compound that is producing this noise at low speed.
I will print all these thread and will give at dealer may be they will come up with something.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
I've been having this problem for years, my 550i is now approaching 50K miles, original brakes and the same "woooow" noise coming in ONLY colder weather, never summer. Nothing to worry about, it's weird, but it's normal, no braking problems whatsoever. It's gotta be the front brake pads on the rotors making this noise.

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Here is a video I took of the whining noise on my 2005 545. Is this the same sound that you all are experiencing. In my case, the sound is coming from the rear passenger side.

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
I have a little different one.
BTW, I printed all replays and dropped off at my local dealer, they are still reading.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I have had the same issue. took it to the dealership to get it fixed, but they do not have a fix for it at all. They just keep saying its the brakes. If someone is able to figure it out please do post the fix.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
One more - '08 550i M Sport 6 spd 24k - same issue - I noticed an intermittent, brief metallic friction/rubbing sound while turning right at slow speed, slight downslope w/ light braking. Mentioned to the dealer , but they couldn't replicate. Now that I know it's common, I will try to isolate.