Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Save the Males!

Mein Auto: Der Reihensechszylinder
The drivers of that video were both very stupid, even the Bimmer. They were endangering the lives of many people for no reason. The road was nice and twisty, but did you see that minivan that the RX-7 almost hit. Absolutely ridicilous.

I have had my share of stupid driving too, although never endangering other people. Like they said above, the E39 has AMAZING handling for a car of that sides, and can really carry a lot of speed through the corners. I experimented with a little backroads driving and some drifting. The Back roads driving was always fun, and *seemed* safe because of the predictibility of the car, as well as the ASC that would help out a lot too. I would always leave it on, because that 2-5 mph extra that it takes away just wasnt worth it. I would drift that car some too, and became quite good at it too. I finally learned though, when I was drifting on a slightly banked surface. I was coming around the turn on a negative bank, when the rear end started sliding down hill. This sent me an extra 60 degrees off course, and I ran up onto a sidewalk at 35 mph. Let me say that this was very late at night with absolutely no one else around except my friend who was also drifting. Besides running onto the sidewalk, which was a major shock to the car, there was a very big drainage ditch that I almost went into. This thing was big enought to swallow the entire car. Luckly I stopped in time to save it. And the car was 100% OK, but that was the last time I took off ASC in that car. It also gave me a new mantra... You can get it right 1000 times, but you only have to screw up once.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Black Mage

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sedan
Sick E39, sick RX-7. Two good cars, and two very stupid drivers. Racing/sliding/drifting on a super narrow road with oncoming traffic? Wow...

My sh*t used to be on streets too. I'm not half as crazy as I used to be, but I still do the occasional friendly red-light dash or go up mountain roads at high speed. Never when there's people in my car or anywhere around. What people need to realize is that if they wanna be stupid, they better be the ONLY ones in harms way.

My mantra: Amateurs practice until they get it right. Pro's practice till they can't get it wrong.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
It is an E34 buddy

Love the mantra mate, possibly the truest thing i have ever read (as a pro )

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Built for Comfort.

Mein Auto: E39 525i Auto Sport
What a wazzock!

The BMW clearly won. I did like the back-endage from the 5 in 'round 2'

But this was dangerous and the whiney RX driver should be promptly removed from the roads.

I can only hope the police track him down and serve him with a fixed penalty notice.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Iron-Mouse Send a message via MSN to Iron-Mouse
Mein Auto: 97 318i
The cops are gonna have a hard time catching him unless they have an E34 540i squad car.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 AM
Still here

As long as the cop can drive, he will catch him!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-27-2007, 05:32 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

Send a message via MSN to DominguesE30
Mein Auto: `97 BMW 318is
wooop wooop!

Beeeeeeeee Eeeeem Double-YOU!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Black Mage

not unless they're in....... TOKYO!

"durrrr. cop cars here are factory tune. you can do better than 180-kay, they cant catch you. they wont even try."
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Still here

Love that line!!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusBmw View Post
HAY another e39'er,OH thats the the same feeling i get.

What some dont know is the e39 rear end suspension is mounted on a separate sub frame,that were the handling comes form
Our E39 has NEVER, EVER let us down. She has NEVER failed to start and does us proud everytime we go out in her. The only things we have replaced are 'wear and tear' components.

If we had to get rid of any one our Bimmers [which will NEVER, EVER, EVER happen!] we would not be able to choose.

Pirate's 328i Coupe is the fastest, my 320i Convertible is the prettiest [and cleanest and shiniest by far!] and the E39 is the most comfortable, luxurious and best handling.

One event sticks in my mind whilst my daughter and I were travelling to Northampton on an 'A' road which fluctuates between single and dual carriage way. I was on a single carriageway section when I noticed a Vauxhall Vectra tight on my bumper [I was wondering whether there was something in my boot he wanted ]. I knew he was a Rep coz he had his jacket hanging on the hook in the back

Anyway we came to a roundabout that was approached by two lanes and exited by two lanes. I always go in the outside lane because I know I have the power to pull away on the exit. The 'Rep' pulled alongside me and 'glared' across with a look as if to say, get out of my way woman!

My daughter said 'did you see that Mum?' I said 'Yes. cheeky b4st4rd She simply said 'shall we Mum?' I replied 'Oh, alright then'....

At the next roundabout, I caught up with him, went on the outside lane, I looked across and looked as if to say , calmly went around the roundabout and let him roar off in his Vectra. I slipped it into Sport Mode, flawed it and within seconds he was a dot in my rear view mirror. A Vectra against an E39 - does not equate!

I immediately slowed down and let him catch up

At the next roundabout I looked across at him as if to say but he simply smiled as if to say 'OK - YOU WIN
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: E92 330i Manual
Bimmer_Angel, E39 rules!

My dad's V8 3.5 sticks to the road like glue and is rarely beaten for road holding or acceleration. The especially good thing is weight transfer, especially with the sports suspension, it's just amazing.

Last week I was in it as a passenger and some Jag X-type was stuck in the fast lane just blocking it, leaving a really annoying gap in front. It was also touching the brakes all the time for no reason and being dangerous. So of course the middle lane was free and inviting, but the guy then put his foot down, and tried and failed miserably to close the gap to the car in front of him. He then dropped a mile back once we were in the fast lane ahead of him, because he was humiliated his Ford-Mondeo-in-disguise-pile-of-crap couldn't beat a V8 bimmer. Hah, why do they even try.

Last edited by B/\/\W; 04-27-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/\/\W View Post
Bimmer_Angel, E39 rules!

My dad's V8 3.5 sticks to the road like glue and is rarely beaten for road holding or acceleration. The especially good thing is weight transfer, especially with the sports suspension, it's just amazing.

Last week I was in it as a passenger and some Jag X-type was stuck in the fast lane just blocking it, leaving a really annoying gap in front. It was also touching the brakes all the time for no reason and being dangerous. So of course the middle lane was free and inviting, but the guy then put his foot down, and tried and failed miserably to close the gap to the car in front of him. He then dropped a mile back once we were in the fast lane ahead of him, because he was humiliated his Ford-Mondeo-in-disguise-pile-of-crap couldn't beat a V8 bimmer. Hah, why do they even try.

Too true mate

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 PM
E Nomine.....Das Omen!

Mein Auto: Oxford Green BMW E39 523i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Angel View Post
Our E39 has NEVER, EVER let us down. She has NEVER failed to start and does us proud everytime we go out in her. The only things we have replaced are 'wear and tear' components.

If we had to get rid of any one our Bimmers [which will NEVER, EVER, EVER happen!] we would not be able to choose.

Pirate's 328i Coupe is the fastest, my 320i Convertible is the prettiest [and cleanest and shiniest by far!] and the E39 is the most comfortable, luxurious and best handling.

One event sticks in my mind whilst my daughter and I were travelling to Northampton on an 'A' road which fluctuates between single and dual carriage way. I was on a single carriageway section when I noticed a Vauxhall Vectra tight on my bumper [I was wondering whether there was something in my boot he wanted ]. I knew he was a Rep coz he had his jacket hanging on the hook in the back

Anyway we came to a roundabout that was approached by two lanes and exited by two lanes. I always go in the outside lane because I know I have the power to pull away on the exit. The 'Rep' pulled alongside me and 'glared' across with a look as if to say, get out of my way woman!

My daughter said 'did you see that Mum?' I said 'Yes. cheeky b4st4rd She simply said 'shall we Mum?' I replied 'Oh, alright then'....

At the next roundabout, I caught up with him, went on the outside lane, I looked across and looked as if to say , calmly went around the roundabout and let him roar off in his Vectra. I slipped it into Sport Mode, flawed it and within seconds he was a dot in my rear view mirror. A Vectra against an E39 - does not equate!

I immediately slowed down and let him catch up

At the next roundabout I looked across at him as if to say but he simply smiled as if to say 'OK - YOU WIN

I get it to BA,normally little punks first on there license who have no idea that my I6 it packing 140 kws of power (enoguht to kill smart ass punks),they sit there at the light revving there little carp box and looking at my e39, slap it in to sports mode,and bang there left behind wondering what happened.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Still here

Kinda makes life worth living buddy

I REALLY just dont understand how little pr1cks in Focus's and civics think that their 1.6's is gonna beat my 2.8, 210+bhp monster.

Not only do i have 60 percent more power, but i have 400 percent more grip and 4000 percent more talent!!

I get idiots trying to race me all the time and i just dont see what they expect to prove....except their car busts into flames when they lose control (and they will) and hit a tree!

I worry....i really do!

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Black Mage

It's the cycle of life...

16 years old - "I'm a good driver. It comes naturally to me."
20 years old - "I don't do half the crazy sh*t I used to when I was younger"
30 years old - "Gosh darn kids need to learn to take it easy."
50 years old - "If I had this 'Vette when I was younger, I'd surely be dead by now!"
Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
Quote:
Originally Posted by v33_n0d3 View Post
not unless they're in....... TOKYO!

"durrrr. cop cars here are factory tune. you can do better than 180-kay, they cant catch you. they wont even try."
Hmmmmmm......not here......300kw 6.0 Litres v8.
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
As long as the cop can drive, he will catch him!!
Can I have a run????
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Still here

Go for it buddy!!!

Bet you would catch him in a flash!

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Hmmmmmm......not here......300kw 6.0 Litres v8.
That is 100% correct. Ive seen the new holden ss patrol cars and they looking freakin mean!
We also saw a undercover vz SS go after a holden ute after he ran a breatherliser test. Man that undercover car just launched and flew!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:49 AM
Still here

I wanna be a traffic cop in Oz

Edirty6 for life
Old 04-28-2007, 03:03 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

lol pete their cars FLY!
But if they are chasing some1 and they hit a certain speed limit they have to back-off

Old 04-28-2007, 04:26 AM
E Nomine.....Das Omen!

I once got to see two ford xr8's similar power figuers to the holden,and then a ss,they were on the high way chasing down an old 1980's i6 ford falcon,i had dads scanner going in the bm and pull over to watch the show go pass (was on the way to GF,now wifes house),the guys in the old ford a had held up the bottlelo,the things were on full song lights and sirens those big bore v8 sound like nothing else.

I've had the privilege to sit in the front passenger side of decked out highway patrol car,with the computer screen and key board (cone may know what im on about).
Old 04-28-2007, 04:30 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

how did u get a ride in one aus? lol
What did u do naughty boy!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:33 AM
E Nomine.....Das Omen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominguesE30 View Post
how did u get a ride in one aus? lol
What did u do naughty boy!

You do know they dont put crims up front of a PC?

I'm a fire Fighter in the RFS.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:09 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

ohh ok awsome