Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535iX
Questions for VATKENS (BMW N.A. Rep.)

Hello VATKENS,

Hope you are still monitoring the forum. I would like to get some clarification/comfirmation from experts with BMW. I have a Oct/2005 built 2006 750i with the standard 18" wheels. Its FTM uses the ABS system to detect the change of a tire's radius and rotation speed in relation to other tires. It doesn't have individual sensors in each wheel. But I know some 2006 750is use individual sensors in each wheel to monitor tire pressure. Why is there the diference for the same model year? In the BMWUSA website, under 7 Series/driver's guide/convenience & driving safety/flat tire warning, the video commentary clearly implies that the 7 Series uses FTM system to monitor tire's radius/rotation speed in relation to other tires, hence, not individual sensor.

Under normal circumstances, I would care less what system it uses but here is my problem: I would like to get a set of 19" BMW star spoke 89 wheels and summer performance tires to use most of the year and keep the standard 18" wheels that came with the car for winter. I went to the first dealership to order the wheels but was told the 19" wheels would cause problems with my car's FTM system which was set up to operate with the 18" wheel. They said EVEN after resetting/re-initailizing the FTM system, the low tire pressure warning light may not come on even if the tire pressure is low, or it may come on when the tire pressure is actually normal. Then I went to another dealership and was told by folks there that since BMW's website and accessory catalog both list the 19" style 89 wheels as accessory option for 2006 750i, there is no way the 19" wheels will not work properly with the FTM system in the 750i that was originally equipped with 18" wheels.

Which is which? I like to have some comfort level before I spend close to $3000 on a set of 19" wheels and tires.

Sorry for the long questions.

Thanks you,

Bimmerguy.
Ads by Google
Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535iX
OK. Here is what I found out by myself: I was told 2006 E65s built before March/06 use the "indirect method" (ABS) to monitor the radius/rotation speed, no sensors in wheels.

I have talked to five local dealers about the effect of replacing the stock 18" wheel with the OEM 19" wheels. One said it would mess up the FTM system even after resetting it. The other four basically said with the 19" wheel/tire combo, the wheels get bigger but the tires have lower profile so the diameter is very close to the diameter of the 18" wheel/tire combo (smaller wheel, tires' side wall is taller). Now I feel comfortable enough to order the 19" wheels/tires.

In the Z sub forum, people did mention the warning light is always on after they put on after market wheels. I guess it all depends on which moitoring system the car uses and the relative size of the wheel/tires.

Cheers.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
if you want the rims then get them and just forget that you have a FTM

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone