Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 PM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_illuminatus View Post
When bimmerfest is on, they pull over exclusively BMW's and ignore all other cars.
A few thousand BMW's, generally a younger crowd, numerous complaints from citizens, vehicle code violations by the dozens, heavy traffic and increased speeding/reckless incidents each year.

And you wounder why exactly?

P.S CHP doesn't make a dime off tickets, except DMV related citations (expired tags, no insurance, suspend license, etc.) All the other revenue from citations goes to what ever county or city they are issued in.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 PM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Well, just a thought, what if the Lambos met at Earl Warren Showgrounds on the same day as Bimmerfest?

That would be really nuts!!!

Regardless, Italian and German automotive engineering sharing the same weekend at the French Riviera of the West!!! Sweet!!!
It's reserved specifically for Bimmerfest.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 AM
-ICON-

Mein Auto: 525i , 325i, & concorde
A bunch of sharks and bulls in the same place at the same time sounds like traffic cops nightmare........they might cry!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Bring the 'fest to Dallas

Send a message via AIM to Buyse13
Mein Auto: 01 325i ZSP
with all those lambos.... i am looking forward to the racing videos in the following days after bimmerfest!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: LeMans Blue Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyse13 View Post
with all those lambos.... i am looking forward to the racing videos in the following days after bimmerfest!
I don't think any Lambo owners will want to race a BMW.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:07 AM
///Monster Energy!

Send a message via AIM to BMWE30freak
Mein Auto: 1989 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated///M View Post
I don't think any Lambo owners will want to race a BMW.
I'm sure some of the young cocky E36 owners will try but not suceed
Old 04-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: LeMans Blue Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE30freak View Post
I'm sure some of the young cocky E36 owners will try but not suceed
Haha, why do all the E36 guys always get blamed, yet its kind of true. I had a good friend with a E36 M3 that always tried to race me no matter where we went. Whether is a residential neighborhood, passing by the cop station etc. He always lost, but keeps trying??
Old 05-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i View Post
A few thousand BMW's, generally a younger crowd, numerous complaints from citizens, vehicle code violations by the dozens, heavy traffic and increased speeding/reckless incidents each year.

And you wounder why exactly?

P.S CHP doesn't make a dime off tickets, except DMV related citations (expired tags, no insurance, suspend license, etc.) All the other revenue from citations goes to what ever county or city they are issued in.
And how many extra accidents exactly? Because if this is only about safety, you should be able to site increased accidents involving BMW's only that would justify your profiling, otherwise it's just that, profiling, plain and simple. If a couple citizens call in and say "black people are mean and look scary" do you go out and look for black people? Of course not, I know you guys don't do that. What if some motorists call in and say "BMW drivers are mean and hogging the road and I'm scared of them"? Do you go hunting for BMW driver's to ticket? Profiling makes sense if there is justification (like significantly increased accidents involving BMW's only on the day of bimmerfest) but if you can't prove any kind of safety record (more accidents) you don't have justification, just bias, opinions, and prejudice. Sorry to be harsh, but it's just logic.

Also, I'm not accusing you guys of making any money off of tickets, not sure where that came from..

Last edited by fm_illuminatus; 05-04-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by inventory0297 View Post
Hmm, I didn't know that. To tell you the truth, I've always mostly ignored Bimmerfest before.

As a local the cops are a pretty good bunch, much better than many other places in SoCal. There really aren't that many of them first of all, but maybe the fuzz imports help for the event.

They are definitely out to raise money off tourists, I'll give you that.

I would bet from Milpas by the beach up through downtown you guys will be alright, but Calle Real/La Cumbre/Las Positas/upper State will be a deathtrap.

Regardless, the Lambos will get much more of a pass than any BMW ever will.
I really mean the Santa Barbara area CHP, not the local cops.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Your favorite food!

Send a message via ICQ to clumpymold Send a message via AIM to clumpymold Send a message via MSN to clumpymold Send a message via Yahoo to clumpymold
Mein Auto: E36 BMW
Wow. How big is State St.? My hotel is ON State St. and I'm worried it'll be a zoo over there.

Nice location, I suppose though.

03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX - Sold 06/2003! - 07/97 BMW E36 (Daily Driver) - Updated 09/23/05
Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net
231 rwhp / 232 rwtq (02/26/06)