Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 02-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW m3, 2012 ML350
Question info on buying a new bmw..

I'm looking into buying a new 330i very soon. I'm a little confused on what I should do to get the most out of my trade-in, etc.

I currently own a '00 Honda Prelude fully paid off.

When I get the 330i I will probably need to order and wait 6-8 weeks for it. Now how will all of it work?

1. Negociate price of 330i with BMW.
2. Deposit for order.
3. Wait for car to arrive.
4. Negociate trade-in.
5. Drive off in new car.

I know it would be better if I can sell my old car after I get the new one. But I need the $$$ from trade-in.. and I can't be left without a car to drive at any point.

Is that how it would work??? I apologize for the dumb question, but I wanna get a 330i ASAP.
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2003, 10:53 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Re: info on buying a new bmw..

Welcome to the 'fest....

The quick answer to your question is to move your #4 up to the #2 spot on the list and then, yes, you are correct.

You should try the Search function as purchasing questions have been covered extensively
Old 02-01-2003, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Re: info on buying a new bmw..

Quote:
Originally posted by enyce
I'm looking into buying a new 330i very soon. I'm a little confused on what I should do to get the most out of my trade-in, etc.

I currently own a '00 Honda Prelude fully paid off.

When I get the 330i I will probably need to order and wait 6-8 weeks for it. Now how will all of it work?

1. Negociate price of 330i with BMW.
2. Deposit for order.
3. Wait for car to arrive.
4. Negociate trade-in.
5. Drive off in new car.

I know it would be better if I can sell my old car after I get the new one. But I need the $$$ from trade-in.. and I can't be left without a car to drive at any point.

Is that how it would work??? I apologize for the dumb question, but I wanna get a 330i ASAP.
Well, I just picked up my new BMW last Tuesday. I've still have to get rid of my Honda Civic. Here's what I found. Honda dealers generally will buy the car. However, they will do it for less since you won't be buying another Honda. Your BMW dealer will take it "off your hands" but don't expect the best rate. Jon at Cutter told me that I could get a better deal from either a Honda dealer or from selling it outright but that he would buy it I needed him too.

I'm going to try CarMax (www.carmax.com). A local Honda dealer offered me a price between Kelly Blue Book's Fair and Good price range (my car has been in an accident which lowers the resale).

Looking at your location, there isn't a CarMax in the Boston area, but their might be other places that do the same thing.

So, if you want the most money, sell it yourself. That is the most hassle however. If you want the easiest thing, wait 'till your Bimmer comes in and just "give" it to your BMW dealer.

HTH,

Brian

Last edited by Brian Randell; 02-01-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW m3, 2012 ML350
Only problem with moving #4 to #2 is...

I won't be able to give the old car in UNTIL I drive off in the new car. Say the BMW dealer offers x amount TODAY for trade-in, I still need to drive it for another two months!

I'll probably do this:

Negociate the price of the new car. And in that 6-8 week waiting period try my best to sell it privately. If I am unable to to so, I'll sell it to a local Honda dealership like 2 days before picking up the new car.

Does that sound about right?

I've done searches, and haven't come across my exact question. But I'll search some more. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 02-01-2003, 11:21 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally posted by enyce
Only problem with moving #4 to #2 is...

I won't be able to give the old car in UNTIL I drive off in the new car. Say the BMW dealer offers x amount TODAY for trade-in, I still need to drive it for another two months!
The dealer is well aware of this....they will give you a general idea of value, obviously their number will go down a bit when you pick up the new car and actually execute the trade. You don't have to trade in your car until you pick up the new one.