Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: HOnda
Thumbs down Great, now what's next? an X1? A minivan?

So there will be a 1 series coupe? Great, now what's next? an X1? A minivan?

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.

Yes, many people will be very happy about this. If ferrari were to launch a $40,000 USD coupe many people would be happy and it would sell very well, financially in the short term sounds great.

The 3 series is already cheap enough for being a BMW. As every year goes by it seems like BMW is just being more greedy by going to the mass market and lowering the quality of their cars(look at the many problems in the new 3 series).

For once I have to agree with Clarkson on this, I don't know what on earth is BMW thinking lately.

And yes... I am ready for the flames... Just my opinion. What do you think?
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
You seem too worried about "status".To me(first used bimmer over 30 years ago)it's about the driving dynamics,not the badge.If a 1,2 or whatever series has the right kinesthetics then I'm all for it.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
You seem too worried about "status".To me(first used bimmer over 30 years ago)it's about the driving dynamics,not the badge.If a 1,2 or whatever series has the right kinesthetics then I'm all for it.
Amen. Screw the status...it's a car and nothing more. I just want it to be fun.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by canpend View Post
The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I saw recently the 3 series is like the #6 best selling car in America. The 1 will sell a fraction of the numbers the ubiquitous 3 is selling.

So there is no exclusivity to BMW anymore, it's a mirage.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:01 AM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Another clueless badge hound. You apparently aren't aware of the fact that the standard police cruisers in Deutschland are BMW 3er and 5er tourings. That's right: the BMW 5 series is essentially a German Crown Vic. BMW was never "exclusive," even in the US market where they've worked hard to create that image.

The original US introduction of the BMW 2002 was priced in at $2750 - right about the same as an entry level Mustang (which became the icon it did because it was a cheap sports car). Adjusted for inflation, that comes out to a whopping $16,500. That's half the price of today's "entry level" 3er and even less than a stripped Civic LX. This was the car that put BMW on the map.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 04-26-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Well, whatever. Its one of those deals.

If you dont like it: dont buy it, dont listen to it, dont watch it, dont drive it, dont do it, etc.

The power of choice is yours. God forbid you voice your displeasure on teh INTERWEB!

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i 6MT LMB
Quote:

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.
Oh the ironing.

You iron like no nicaraguan maid I've seen.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Well yes, actually. BMW is curently working on a "crossover" vehicle to be placed in the same class as Mercedes' R Class. The R class is prettty much a minivan thats lowered a bit, loaded with a bunch of tech, and mated to a bigger engine. I f you can't get excited about a relatively light weight, excellent handling car with a 300hp turbo V6, then I think you should subsribe to an SUV lovers website.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: M3
R-Class Minivan
Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: HOnda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinZero View Post
Oh the ironing.

You iron like no nicaraguan maid I've seen.
Say again?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:

Yes, many people will be very happy about this. If ferrari were to launch a $40,000 USD coupe many people would be happy and it would sell very well, financially in the short term sounds great.

The 3 series is already cheap enough for being a BMW. As every year goes by it seems like BMW is just being more greedy by going to the mass market and lowering the quality of their cars(look at the many problems in the new 3 series).

For once I have to agree with Clarkson on this, I don't know what on earth is BMW thinking lately.

BMW's goal is not to be 'exclusive' so you can be proud of your badge.

Their goal is to sell more cars and make more profit. They've found a niche in the upscale/sporty market.

I think it's a very tough argument to claim that they are lowering the quality of their cars. The e90 325, 328, and 330 have very nice engines. 0-60 in around 6 seconds, yet still getting 28-29 mpg on the highway, with more safety features in each generation? Yeah I think that's progress.

I've heard of some trouble with the turbos on the 335, but I'm sure that will be ironed out, and that is not a low-end car for the masses.

If your goal is to spend a lot more money for a badge, I'd start looking at Porsche if I were you.

2007 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Old 04-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Wanting an //M5

Mein Auto: 96 GTi VR6, 81 Delorean
I understand where you're coming from. Many companies have started to play the small car game. Personally, I don't have any problem with BMW making a coupe version. It's something to set it apart from what Audi and Mercedes are offering. I don't think that BMW is in the same league as Ferrari because BMW actually makes usable sports cars that aren't over $150,000. BMW can add the 1 series and not dilute the brand. Ferrari can't because they put out marginally better cars out every few years. Porsche, OTOH, came up with the Boxster and eventually the Cayenne to put it out of financial problems and I do think that those 2 models have tarnished the brand. I remember seeing a 911 when I was younger and thinking that was one of the coolest cars ever. Now whenever I see one all I can think is, "well, at least it's not a Cayenne or a Boxster."

Merc R-Class... ugh... I've seen a few of those on the road and there is nothing remotely appealing about it on the outside. I'm not sure what MB was trying to accomplish with that model. It looks like the forgettable Pacifica with some Benz bits in the mix. Isn't it US-target only? Gotta love Americans and their fat kids.

96 GTi Turbo
81 DMC DeLorean
Wanting to add an //M Coupe to the mix...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i 6MT LMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Now whenever I see one all I can think is, "well, at least it's not a Cayenne or a Boxster."
You mean, a mid engined roadster is not worthy of the Porsche name? I guess James Dean died in a Toyota MR2.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of the 911 over the Cayman/Boxter. Why would you pay extra $30K to move the engine behind the rear axle? To get that useless dog seats?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Porsche, OTOH, came up with the Boxster and eventually the Cayenne to put it out of financial problems and I do think that those 2 models have tarnished the brand. I remember seeing a 911 when I was younger and thinking that was one of the coolest cars ever. Now whenever I see one all I can think is, "well, at least it's not a Cayenne or a Boxster."
So the Boxter and Cayenne tarnish the brand of Porsche because...? They're less expensive?

2007 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Old 04-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Quote:

Please go to Europe and witness the number of Audis and BMW's there. I saw a ton of 1-er's in Munich and the surrounding areas. No one there seems to think it's "degrading".

I bought a 335i because I liked the way it look and drove. The badge is irrelevant. If I could have found an American car that pleased me like the 335i, I would be driving it. Hell, if the Acura TL had RWD or AWD, I'd be it in right now and not even looking at the BMW.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I drive and have driven BMWs for over 25 years because I like the way they handle and perform, not for the badges that are on the hood and trunk. If BMW sends the 1 series to the US and prices it right, I will probably buy one as a commuter car. I paid almost $30K for my loaded MINI Cooper S cabrio and it is a fine commuter car but it does not drive like a BMW because it is FWD. Please tell me that the 1 series in RWD. I am almost sure it is because I saw them being built in Regensburg just a couple of weeks ago.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Leave the 1 series be!!! This is exactly what I have been waiting on to replace the E30 with!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:

[snip]

Totally. You're so right about this. I mean, what? Are they gonna start making Motorcycles next?

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
ffej pwnage!

The worst part about owning a BMW is the Roundel on the car. It means a certain segment of the population will always assume we're people like canped.

ffej -- see ya in SB on friday!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
I'm still looking forward to seeing the 1 series come the U.S. If BMW can provide us with a car that is close to the size of the e30's and e36's and is still fun to drive, I'm all for it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, for my preferences the e46 is a little too large and heavy, the e90's are way too big! I want a RWD car the size of an e30 with todays modern performance and safety features.

I could care less about the badge. If anyone that I don't know very well asks me what I drive, I just respond that it's a little red sedan. If they really press or if they really seem interested in cars, I'll offer that it's a 330 and see where the conversation goes from there, but I really could care less to share that I drive a Bimmer with someone that doesn't know me from Adam.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Officially Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
I could care less about the badge. If anyone that I don't know very well asks me what I drive, I just respond that it's a little red sedan.
+1

I say a silver hatchback or a little silver 2-seater or something. But really, what is the other option? "I DRIVE A BMW!" in a loud voice? I mean, really. Anyway, the car is hard enough to explain to anyone who doesn't know. If it's someone I know, I'll have to explain my car is like the Z3, except a coupe instead of a convertible.

I remember shortly after I got my old M3, I went to a family event type thing, and when I got out of my car at my aunt and uncle's house, my aunt said "oh, wow, a BMW, nice!" It was almost painful. I always think of a car as being what it is as a model first, and manufacturer second. Oh well.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: Doesn't matter
Like it or hate it, BMW is a business and the goal of ALL businesses is to make money. There is a huge market for the 1 series.

Some of the stupid americans trolling around BMW forums all over the internet seem to think that BMW builds cars just for them. These ignorant rich snobs always seem to forget that BMW is a european company that has always been at the leading edge of European motoring.

Keeping this in mind, the going trend in europe the past ten years has been towards small, fun ecofriendly cars that don't cost a fortune.

I bet everyone who bashes the 1 series, not understanding BMW as a company also hates the idea of a hydrogen powered 7 series, even though this also lends itself to the forefront of technology (and also luxury in the sense that a hydrogen car can be COMPLETELY silent)

So my words to anyone who hates the 1 series cause its too small, or too cheap, or the hydrogen seven series, or BMW's general direction, is that I challenge you to stop thinking from the driver's seat of your huge X5 4.8, dig your head out of your arse, and learn a little more about the company who's status you hold so dear to your heart.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Owns a beater of a BMW

Mein Auto: E30 325e 2dr 5spd
Funny how some of you are worrying about the 1 series degrading the aristocratic air of the BMW brand. I highly doubt the 1 series does that when there are plenty of old beat up primer covered e30' running around. I go to a college where many new BMWs can be spotted by driven conceited little rich fraternity kids thinking they own the campus roadways with there fancy new car. Pisses me off because if I tell my friends I own a Bimmer, I have to justify it with a 10 minute speech on how its older than me and every major component has been personally replaced by me just to not appear like a snooty ass. Then they ask why I did that. Because the car is frigging a blast to drive! No other car I have ever drive has actually made me smile when doubling the speed limit on a back road. Which is why most folks are here in this forum to begin with. So to anyone who drives your BMW around to be a status symbol, go buy a Mercedes. There made for that.

Last edited by aquanet1986; 04-30-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Officially Weird

they're.