Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 128i cpe ac/pw/ps/abs
[QUOTE=aquanet1986;2342176 .... doubling the speed limit on a back road. Which is why most folks are here in this forum to begin with.QUOTE]

so you're saying that Bimmerfest is essentially a haven for scofflaws.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:07 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Who said anything about BMW thinking... Hello my friend, BMW is a business.

In economics, business is the social science of managing people to organize and maintain collective productivity toward accomplishing particular creative and productive goals, usually to generate profit.

In the case of broadening their brand, BMW (A Business) will seek greater market share to do what? Let's say it together now, "Make Money"

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 04-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 6er
Quote:
Originally Posted by canpend View Post
BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.

Are you one of the idiots that looks at the badge ? please let me inform you its a long distance between a 1 series and a 6/7 series, any one who buys a 116i and thinks its a status symbol is a fool
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
So there will be a 1 series coupe? Great, now what's next? an X1? A minivan?

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.

Yes, many people will be very happy about this. If ferrari were to launch a $40,000 USD coupe many people would be happy and it would sell very well, financially in the short term sounds great.

The 3 series is already cheap enough for being a BMW. As every year goes by it seems like BMW is just being more greedy by going to the mass market and lowering the quality of their cars(look at the many problems in the new 3 series).

For once I have to agree with Clarkson on this, I don't know what on earth is BMW thinking lately.

And yes... I am ready for the flames... Just my opinion. What do you think?
Quality has nothing to do with size. IMO the 1 series is a welcome addition to the BMW stable of excellent vehicles.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Quality has nothing to do with size. IMO the 1 series is a welcome addition to the BMW stable of excellent vehicles.
Maybe even a 135i hatchback? Bring it ON!!!

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 05-16-2007, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 03 GTI VR6
This is completely wrong. The 1er is desperately needed in the US. Okay, maybe that's just a tad hyperbolic. But it would be a real service to US car buyers.

The bottom of the BMW line has gotten large, heavy, and expensive. The 3, which started out as a small nimble car, has gotten up to what used to be 5er proportions. A lot of this was competition driven (can you say G35), to provide more passenger room. But what the 3er gained in space, it gave up in, for lack of a better term, tossability.

Bringing in a 1er coupe, with the dimensions, weight, and price of an E36 coupe, but with up to date technology and styling, would be a great thing.

Quote:

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.

Yes, many people will be very happy about this. If ferrari were to launch a $40,000 USD coupe many people would be happy and it would sell very well, financially in the short term sounds great.

The 3 series is already cheap enough for being a BMW. As every year goes by it seems like BMW is just being more greedy by going to the mass market and lowering the quality of their cars(look at the many problems in the new 3 series).

For once I have to agree with Clarkson on this, I don't know what on earth is BMW thinking lately.

And yes... I am ready for the flames... Just my opinion. What do you think?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Again, the 1er is heavier than the E36. The 130i is something like 3200+ lbs in street trim with default European optioning.

135i would likely be brushing 3400 lbs. Still not a light car by any stretch of the imagination.

I will concede the fact that it's unquestionably more exciting than the current 3er. Even though I found the 1er to be E90-lite in most respects, it still seemed to have a bit more character left.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
X1

Quote:
Speaking of the X1, check this out.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2006/09/27...s-2010-bmw-x1/

I only hope they decide to offer a USA version since then I can ED my mext SAV since the X3 is moving production to SC.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 06-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
So I've been reading the forum trying to wrap my head around the reasons for a 1 series in the U.S. I definitely like the idea of a smaller, lighter 3-series-like coupe, but is 200 lbs. lighter and an inch or two smaller really going to make this the car that everyone wants?

My concern is that a 1er coupe won't be that much different than a 3 series in size and weight, and being a completely new model it won't lease as well (won't have residual of a 3) and won't resale as well (average buyer thinks "cheap 3 series knock-off").

What is going to make this the nimble, tossable, fun-mobile that we'd like it to be?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
So I've been reading the forum trying to wrap my head around the reasons for a 1 series in the U.S. I definitely like the idea of a smaller, lighter 3-series-like coupe, but is 200 lbs. lighter and an inch or two smaller really going to make this the car that everyone wants?

My concern is that a 1er coupe won't be that much different than a 3 series in size and weight, and being a completely new model it won't lease as well (won't have residual of a 3) and won't resale as well (average buyer thinks "cheap 3 series knock-off").

What is going to make this the nimble, tossable, fun-mobile that we'd like it to be?
Nothing. Europeans buy it primarily because it's available with a hatch, and it's a lot cheaper than the 3er touring. Most 1er buyers are under the age of 30 and generally can't afford/don't need the larger touring. It's more or less direct replacement of the 3 series compact. I imagine BMW developed it into a model line of its own so they could start offering up cheap cabrios to go with it (notice how far upmarket they've pushed the E93, given the hardtop and whatnot). The 1 series exists to fill a niche in the price/practicality bracket, not to offer up a performance alternative to the rest of their line. BMW just touts the performance line as a selling point against the car's principle competitors (e.g. the E87 is the only compact hatch on the market with RWD). If you can afford the 3er (and in the US that shouldn't be hard, especially given the lease rates they throw out on them), there's really no good reason to prefer the 1er unless you want a hatch (which is far less "family man" looking than the touring) - and that assumes BMWNA even offers the hatch.

Of course, I should mention that twice as many Germans buy the A3 as buy the 1er. The A3 is nicer inside (and arguably outside) and has more usable cargo space. That alone should give you an idea of their priorities.

The coupe version, in my mind, is utterly pointless unless you're on a serious budget. And even then, for the money, there are plenty of very exciting alternatives out there. Having actually driven and "lived with" the 1 series on a couple occasions (most notably for a full week in Bavaria during March), I can't think of a single reason to choose the 1er, regardless of engine, over something like the Mazdaspeed 3. For my part, BMWNA will need to offer the three door hatch with diesel if I'm even to consider it.

You can read my full assessment of the E87 here if you'd like: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199087

Last edited by akhbhaat; 06-06-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 328i
"The coupe version, in my mind, is utterly pointless unless you're on a serious budget."

For those of you that like hatchbacks I can understand this perspective. But for a lot of us Americans we are looking forward to the 1er coupe. Supposedly it will be signficantly cheaper (rumored around $27,000). That is significant if you consider that the 328i coupe here starts at over $34,000.

However, I disagree that there will not be a significant driving difference with the 3. The Coupe will be lighter than even the 3 door hatch. According to those that have driven the 1er (testimonials on 2addicts) the 1er is different from the 3 series. While admittedly I think there will be the obvious comparisons, the size of the 1er will provide additional market potential. Some people want a smaller car. Weight is not the only determining factor in the handling characteristics of an automobile. Further a Diesel Coupe would be new ground as well.

In the US there is NO RWD coupe of these diminsions and price point. Hatchbacks here are no real competition to a coupe. Look at the Mazdaspeed 3, or A3. Both are not selling well. The Mazda3 sedan outsells the hatchback. Americans will eat this car up.

And I can only hope the driving impressions are good and weight is kept under under control.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Yeah, and the Mazda3 sedan is dog ugly compared to the hot-looking hatch.. yet people STILL avoid the hatch.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post

In the US there is NO RWD coupe of these diminsions and price point. Hatchbacks here are no real competition to a coupe. Look at the Mazdaspeed 3, or A3. Both are not selling well. The Mazda3 sedan outsells the hatchback. Americans will eat this car up.

And I can only hope the driving impressions are good and weight is kept under under control.
The A3 is hitting Audi's sales goals. They do almost no advertising for it; and the car's moving off lots. Any person who has driven one will atest to the fact that the A3 hits a sweet spot being luxurious, fun and functional...it's everything the far more expensive A4 isn't.

The Mazda3 sells like hotcakes (in hatch form too) and the Speed3 is, as far as I've read, within Mazda's sales goals too. The Speed3 is a limited run car that's pointed directly at a specific market.

You may have an issue with hatches but don't try to spread that to manus who are happy with their sales of hatches.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
200 lbs and 6 inches shorter and 2-3 inches narrower would go a long, long way to making me happy. The e90 is a boat. I owned one and couldn't dump it fast enough.

Quote:
Losing 200-300 lbs would help instantly. The e90 feels every ounce of its 3600 lb curb weight. And the car's deep cabin and cavernous interior make it feel far less fitted and sporting than the dearly departed e46.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
The 1 series is 11 inches shorter than the 3 series, and 4 inch shorter wheelbase. That's as big as a typical difference in 3 series generations.

So if someone likes the E46 dimensions, but wants a new car, with things like regenerative braking, direct injection, all that stuff - the 1 makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Not Wearing Pants

11 inches shorter...ah, heaven
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
I had read akhbhaat's review, which helped fuel my doubts on the 1 series. But until we get final specs on what the U.S. is getting, and the reviews start to come in, and we get our butts in the seats for test drives, who really knows?

I pulled up some specs on Edmunds for comparison, and based on these numbers, the 1 series needs to be right around 3200 lbs and the size of an E46 or smaller for it to be really compelling. In my opinion. :-)

2007 335i - 3593 lbs.
2007 328i - 3340 lbs.
2002 330i - 3285 lbs.
2002 325i - 3219 lbs. (my car)
1998 325i - 3197 lbs.
1990 325i - 2854 lbs.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 328i
"the 1 series needs to be right around 3200 lbs and the size of an E46 or smaller for it to be really compelling."

I would agree with that. There is no way it could be as little as the 1990, with the modern requirements and "electronic" aids. Even the Miata is 2500 lbs now.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 535i
Wether exclusive or not, bmws will always be bmws. That said, if bmw comes out with a 1 series, i don't think it really makes any difference. I think most people who buy bimmers buy it because they like the car and they can afford to pay the price for it. Meaning we pay the price tag on our cars because we actually like the car, NOT the badge. If a same car with same drive came out from another maker, then we'd be buying that brand.
I can understan where you're coming from, but 3's will always be in 30~40k range, and 5's will always be in 50~60k range in general. Value and car of ours don't change just because a 1 series is released.
They will hope that they had our 3,5,7 and M series though~
Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 535i
I missed the 6....sorry 6ers...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
The 130i (3 and 5 door) is 1460 kg, which is about 100 kg less than the 330i.

So whatever the US model 330i weighs, subtract 220 lbs, or since it's a coupe, it might be 250 lbs lighter or so. If the moonroof is optional, maybe 300 lbs.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Porsche, OTOH, came up with the Boxster and eventually the Cayenne to put it out of financial problems and I do think that those 2 models have tarnished the brand. I remember seeing a 911 when I was younger and thinking that was one of the coolest cars ever. Now whenever I see one all I can think is, "well, at least it's not a Cayenne or a Boxster."
how about some research before posting

have you forgot about the 914, 930, 944, 968
Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
Yeah, and the Mazda3 sedan is dog ugly compared to the hot-looking hatch.. yet people STILL avoid the hatch.
this from someone who owns a car that looks like an old running shoe :

Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahugry View Post
I missed the 6....sorry 6ers...
a 2 door 5er
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM
lurking

Quote:
I had read akhbhaat's review, which helped fuel my doubts on the 1 series. But until we get final specs on what the U.S. is getting, and the reviews start to come in, and we get our butts in the seats for test drives, who really knows?

I pulled up some specs on Edmunds for comparison, and based on these numbers, the 1 series needs to be right around 3200 lbs and the size of an E46 or smaller for it to be really compelling. In my opinion. :-)

2007 335i - 3593 lbs.
2007 328i - 3340 lbs.
2002 330i - 3285 lbs.
2002 325i - 3219 lbs. (my car)
1998 325i - 3197 lbs.
1990 325i - 2854 lbs.
it should weight the same as the e30