Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Vehicle Locator

Mein Auto: 2007 328 coupe/04 vette
I just think its funny how the original poster hasnt said anything else about it...lol.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Another clueless badge hound. You apparently aren't aware of the fact that the standard police cruisers in Deutschland are BMW 3er and 5er tourings. That's right: the BMW 5 series is essentially a German Crown Vic. BMW was never "exclusive," even in the US market where they've worked hard to create that image.
and italy! these cops btw are wearing versace uniforms

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polizia1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	111030  
Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 AM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
However, I disagree that there will not be a significant driving difference with the 3. The Coupe will be lighter than even the 3 door hatch. According to those that have driven the 1er (testimonials on 2addicts) the 1er is different from the 3 series. While admittedly I think there will be the obvious comparisons, the size of the 1er will provide additional market potential. Some people want a smaller car. Weight is not the only determining factor in the handling characteristics of an automobile. Further a Diesel Coupe would be new ground as well.

And I can only hope the driving impressions are good and weight is kept under under control.
Disagree if you'd like - I have driven the 1 series. And I didn't just drive it - I had it for over a week, in all sorts of weather and on all sorts of roads (autobahn, b-road, alpine country roads, and right through the hearts of München and Frankfurt as well). I traveled with it, so I used the trunk and the back seat. It simply doesn't drive like my E46, mostly due to the steering. Period. It drives a lot more like an E90 (though yes, there are differences - the one thing that stood out to me was actually the shifter). A smaller, lighter, E90, but an E90 nevertheless. If you like the E90, you'll like the E87. If you don't, it's entirely up in the air. If your biggest problem with the E90 was the sheer bloat of the thing, it's entirely possible that you'll find the E87 to your liking. The interior is certainly more confined - but you can expect the gauges, switchgear, and ergonomics to be extremely similar, because they are. Goofy signal stalks and all.

Of course, there are some things to take into account when you're considering my opinion or somebody else's. Driving feel is largely subjective - I have very extensive seat time (literally thousands of hours) in a variety of E46 and E36 models. I have very limited amount of time in the E90 - a couple hours here and there. All of these cars have their differences, but due to the fact that most of my time has been spent in the older, smaller models, my perspective is going to center upon them. To me, the 1 series drives quite a bit like an E90. To somebody who drives an E90 every day, any difference is probably more perceptible. So, if you're looking at the 1 series coming from an E36 or E46, you're better off taking my word for it. If you drive an E90, my perspective is somewhat less relevant.

In any case, the one thing I can say with complete certainly is that the 1 series is not the 2002, E21, or E30 reborn. It's not the E36 reborn, either, and quite frankly would even have trouble passing for an E46 (especially my pre-2001 model). It has E46-like dimensions (a bit smaller, actually, with most of the difference lost in the boot and rear seat area - from the driver's seat it's fairly similar), but the feel of an E90. So, in some sense or another, it basically falls between the E90 and the E46. Hardly the "step back" that some really seem to be hoping for.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
It has fully electric steering right? So that's gonna make it feel like an E90 rather than an E46, especially a pre-2001 model.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 07' Honda Accord V6 Coupe
Who cares if they do make an X1 or a minivan? More profit for the home office equals more money for R&D for future cars you do like. Porsche pursits went nuts when the Cayenne came out, and next year the 4 door (gasp) Panamera will be introduced. But somehow, someway I think the Porsche brand will soldier on.

Now I've never owned a BMW, but IMO a "German driving machine" should not be manufactured in the deep south.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: HOnda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wethington325I View Post
I just think its funny how the original poster hasnt said anything else about it...lol.
There is no point. Most of you have one opinion, and I have a different one. I won't try to change those opinions. To each his own.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin View Post
Who cares if they do make an X1 or a minivan? More profit for the home office equals more money for R&D for future cars you do like. Porsche pursits went nuts when the Cayenne came out, and next year the 4 door (gasp) Panamera will be introduced. But somehow, someway I think the Porsche brand will soldier on.
If BMW can broaden their product lineup without making crappy vehicles, more power to them. But as soon as they start competing with more mainstream vehicles, a lot of the strengths of BMW become less relevant. BMWs, IMHO, are luxury cars for car enthusiasts. The further that BMW strays from that, the less relevant the BMW brand becomes.

My point is, you can't just say "sure, make BMW minivans and BMW econoboxes, that will only make more money for the BMWs that I want to buy" - well, you are making my point for me - you don't want a BMW minivan and you don't want a BMW econobox so what profit can BMW make in those market segments?

There are so many factors that go into the success of a given vehicle. The 1 series could be everything we want it to be but still fail miserably.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Well said...Aquanet1986
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM
insert something witty...

Send a message via AIM to jetter2
Mein Auto: 05 ZHP CPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
Leave the 1 series be!!! This is exactly what I have been waiting on to replace the E30 with!

Amen!

I'm so delighted to see that BMW has brought back the spirit of the 2002 and E21/E30's

Smaller, well mated to a engine, nice lines, and mostly affordable.

Over the years, the 3 series has done nothing but gotten bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

Even though the 1 series is still a little porker, I do like that BMW is showing that they know where their roots are, and they are willing to return there.

The price, and the time its being released match up perfectly for me, I will be in the new car market in the spring and BMW releases one bad ass little car right at that time