Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
So what do you guys think about these people that love to hate for no apparent reason

Here is what happened I am a member of this other forum. So I just mentioned that I have 295/25 rear wheels and even with those my 7 series is able to spin the rear tires on launch with DSC totaly off thanks to its nice dose of torque which is availbe from quiet low in the rpm range.

Next thing I know is that these haters that drank plenty of hatered started hating for no reason on 22" wheels/tire without knowing any details. Man their behavior was so childish that I thought I would share it with you guys. I dont know why we have so many haters in the world that love to hate on others for their choices..

I know we have plenty of 6, 5 and 7 series owners here that have 20" or 22" wheel on their ride. So I decided to bring this into light here to see what you guys think.

Here is how it all start When this guy makes a comment towards my post with a seemingly inoccent question.

"I dont think the E-65 comes with 295's."

Right after that few others join and start making ignorant comments showing their maturity without even knowing full details of the things. Why are people such big BMW haters and think all 22" wheel suck is beyond me. Once their argument doesnot hold water they start to throw insults.

Here is the link of the discussion for you guys to read.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=8712.0

Last edited by Kayani_1; 04-27-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2007, 03:40 PM

The most funny thing is that one of the guys automaticly assumes that the 22" wheels are much more heavier then the stock 19" wheels. Then go on to make claims based on total lack of proof or knoweledge.

I pointed out that the 22" wheels are 3 piece forged. Then gave him an example how a cast alloy BMW 19" stocks wheel nearly weighs 29Ibs. Where as a similar set of 19" 3 piece forged wheel of even slightly larger width would weigh arround 18-17 Ibs.

The 22" 3 piece forged in reality are actually slightly lighter then the one piece cast alloy BMW stock 19" wheels. The forged 22" wheels weighs appx. 25Ibs to 24 Ibs thus still being lighter by 4 to 5 Ibs vs cast alloy stock 19" wheels.

Once the guy gets disproved about the heavy weight part of 22" forged wheels he doesnot admit he was wrong and instead his buddy jumps in and points out that the 22" tires are heavier then the 19" tires.

Then I give him and his buddy the offical weight of both 22" tires and 19" tires and show him that the weight gain is not significant and only 1 Ib more per tire then the 19" stock tires and overall the entire weight gain of all 4 tires is barely 4 Ibs. Where as the weight loss by going with lighter forged 22" wheels is nearly 18 Ibs.

Thus, resulting in overall less unsprung weight by subtracting 18 Ibs - 4 Ibs = 14 Ibs.
So overall one has effectively reduced the unsprun mass of the entire wheel+tire package by 14 Ibs.

So now when these haters get disproved on the total unsprung weight. They jump band wagon to rotational mass by claiming that the overall dimeter of the wheels have increased by 1.5 inches

Upon this I tried to explain to this brainless person and his buddies that the overall diameter is measured not just for wheels. But instead it is measured by taking the wheel + tire combo. As this is the concept of plus sizing. In which case the overall diameter of the entire package stays the same because the tire wall height is decreased appx. by same amount as the gain in overall rim height. Thus, the overall diameter stays the same or very close. Which in this case of 22" wheels/tires is 25" and for 19" wheels/tires is
24.5" which is overall not very significant difference.

His whole argument that there is more mass away from hub is pointless as overall diameter for the package stays the same and second he has no solid proof how the weight % is distributed thru both wheels to claim that one has more weight hanging towards the end. How does he know that the 3 piece forged doesnot have its mass more centralized.

Another thing is that with greater offset and deeper dish setting the weight of the forged wheels the mass is located more towards the inside thus making it more centeralized compared to less offset 19" wheels.

Overall the advantage of going with lighter/wider 3 piece forged wheels is that you will have less unsprung weight. A general rule of thumb is that for each pound of unsprung weight that is reduced will effectively be equal to reducing appx. 10 Ibs from the cars overall weight. Thus, in this case making the car overall lighter by 140 Ibs. Which will increase the acceleration and braking due to lighter weight. Not to mention with DSC totaly off the car will tend to spin its wheels less and launch better. Also the lower profile will allow for greater lateral grip and less side wall flexing thus effectively increasing handling and steering feel.

But I guess these guys just cant admit and love to hate on others. The funny thing is if he believes in what he is saying then he should take those lighter 17 wheels/tires from his
350z and replace them with smaller and heavier 14" wheels/tires. Boy would he gain some performance or what.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Bored

Mein Auto: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Old 04-28-2007, 05:42 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I know we have plenty of 6, 5 and 7 series owners here that have 20" or 22" wheel on their ride. So I decided to bring this into light here to see what you guys think.
Tell those "haters" to do their homework first: The E65 760i has 20" wheels STOCK, right from the factory - just as an example. BMW also offers 21" wheels as OEM accessory - specifically designed for the E65/66.

Keep in mind that most "haters" are simply jealous - and you will find these folks on virtually ANY forum. I simply consider jealousy a kind of appreciation...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Tell those "haters" to do their homework first: The E65 760i has 20" wheels STOCK, right from the factory - just as an example. BMW also offers 21" wheels as OEM accessory - specifically designed for the E65/66.

Keep in mind that most "haters" are simply jealous - and you will find these folks on virtually ANY forum. I simply consider jealousy a kind of appreciation...
Exactly...Our 760Li has 20"s Std from the factory because we ordered the M-Cross Spoke Style 101...instead of the regular Individual Wheels (which are 20"s as well )

So yea these "haters" are just simply jealous like he said

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Old 04-29-2007, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
I don't know about the rest of you, but any discussion about "haters" makes me feel very old.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Thumbs down

Bro... I stopped trying to figure out haters back in the late 80s!
They're like roaches... They can't be stopped.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Just put ya hater blockaz on, cause I got my hater blockaz on
Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM

You know what is funny is that the guy keeps repeating that the wheel size has increased 1.5" in all directions from the hub.

But he is so ignorant that he doesnot realize that the car doesnot ride on wheels alone.

After all you do need tires mounted on the wheels.

Thus, when you calculate the diameter change in "plus size concept" upgrade you take the wheel + tire and not just the wheel by itself.

So the overall diameter doesnot change by 1.5". Instead the overall size increase is merely .5 of an inch and the distance from each hub is even smaller then that thus as .5 is divided by 2. Thus effectively making it too small to be significant.

So the rotational mass is effectively the same

But some people are so blind in their stupidity that it makes you just want to give them a good spanking lol....

I would just love to see him swap his 17" wheels on his 350z for heavier 14" wheels and then show us how in real world based on his faulty theory the 350z would gain anything in performance.

He is worried about a complex thing but doesnot even understand basic concepts of plus size wheel+tires.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
22" wheels == RICE.

Can't argue with that.

j/k
Old 04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Here is what happened I am a member of this other forum. So I just mentioned that I have 295/25 rear wheels and even with those my 7 series is able to spin the rear tires on launch with DSC totaly off thanks to its nice dose of torque which is availbe from quiet low in the rpm range.

Next thing I know is that these haters that drank plenty of hatered started hating for no reason on 22" wheels/tire without knowing any details. Man their behavior was so childish that I thought I would share it with you guys. I dont know why we have so many haters in the world that love to hate on others for their choices..

Here is how it all start When this guy makes a comment towards my post with a seemingly inoccent question.

"I dont think the E-65 comes with 295's."

Right after that few others join and start making ignorant comments showing their maturity without even knowing full details of the things. Why are people such big BMW haters and think all 22" wheel suck is beyond me. Once their argument doesnot hold water they start to throw insults.

Here is the link of the discussion for you guys to read.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=8712.0
Where are the haters? Most of these are pretty mild comments.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 PM

Well you missed the party because the moderator deleted the real bad posts with curse words etc. They were about 4 or 5 more that were deleted

This guy started cursing at me for no reason and I just could not take it and returned the favor. So we were all given a warning and told to refrain from using childish insults......LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Where are the haters? Most of these are pretty mild comments.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 04-29-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 PM

I know that you are joking...... but I just wanted to say that in my opinion anything ricey is what is done in utter taste less fashion and has no effect on performance as well.

I have seen some real ugly 22" wheels. But then I have also seen some real sweet ones. I have also seen some real nasty looking taste less 17 & 18" wheels that weigh a ton and make you wanna . On the other hand I have seen some real sweet ones as well.

I am very open minded to things. If something is done and it looks good and has performance benefit of some sort then it is good to go with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt View Post
22" wheels == RICE.

Can't argue with that.

j/k

Last edited by Kayani_1; 04-29-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "rice" that can handle a 22" is an 04'-current Maxima...

I have 22" Asanti wheels with Nitto 255/30/22 and 295/25/22 on my 7. From what I can tell, the only difference, believe it or not, the Nittos are not as loud as the factory 19". Performance seems to remain the same.

2002 745Li
2004 530i
Old 04-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Kayani.. you need to chill man! All of the hating has gotten to your head! Now go jump in the 7 and go for a cruise.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Now that sounds like a good plan
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Wow I didnot know that Maxima could handle 22". Does it need any fender trimed or not.

The performance gains with forged 22" vs stock 19" alloy will become more evident when you push the car to its limits and most of us dont push our car very hard in daily use. That is why right off the bat you might not be able to tell that big of a difference.

Going with any type of upgrades has its positives and negatives. Going with 22" wheels that are not forged 3 piece is good for looks but bad for performance as the unsprung mass increases and overall performance decreases.

On the other hand going with 22" forged wheels one can offset the disadvantage of weight gain. As these 3 piece forged wheels are lighter then even the stock BMW cast alloy 19" wheels. According to my calculations one can effectively reduce 14 pounds of unsprung weight vs the 19" cast alloy wheels if not more.

A general rule of thumb is that you can effectively reduce upto 10 Ibs from your car for every 1 pound of unsprung weight that is removed from your ride. So overall that would be appx. 14 x 10 = 140 Ib reduction in overall weight. Without this reduction you can pretend you have a passenger riding with you weighing 140 Ibs. Now is that huge in terms of performance Well the answer depends on where you are using/testing your car. If you would take it to the track then yes you will be able to notice the difference in performance gain. But in every day use you might not be able to feel the full effects of this performance gain.

In theroy the wider contact patch on tires, shorter sidewall and lighter weight wheels and lack of rotational mass will allow the car to accelerate a bit better off the line and it will also increase the outright lateral grip as well as reduce tire side wall flex resulting in better and sharper steering response. Also another benefit will be improved braking performance.

All of the above aspects as well as looks will improrve with the upgrade. However, there are down sides to it and that is you might have slight rubing when the suspension compresses to hard or when you have 5 people riding with you. Also, the tire wear for 25 adn 30 series tires sucks compared to stock 40 and 45 series tires. Both the tire/wheels are more expensive to replace and are easier to bend. One of the other negative things is that you are effectively increasing the rolling resistance of friction to some extent. How much would that effect the overall performance I dont know

I dont think it would effect it much and seriously I dont care

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockstar View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "rice" that can handle a 22" is an 04'-current Maxima...

I have 22" Asanti wheels with Nitto 255/30/22 and 295/25/22 on my 7. From what I can tell, the only difference, believe it or not, the Nittos are not as loud as the factory 19". Performance seems to remain the same.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 04-30-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
Haters are all around, and on forums they always come out. Don't sweat it man even though I know it gets under your skin just shake it off.

I didn't know you had 22s but I know it looks hot!

www.customoffset.com
facebook.com/customoffsets
Old 04-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the support WaynesNside

I have been real busy to take some pics of my car. But pretty soon I am gonna post some its just that I have been real busy. I have Asanti A116 with 4" lip in front and 6" lip in back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesNside View Post
Haters are all around, and on forums they always come out. Don't sweat it man even though I know it gets under your skin just shake it off.

I didn't know you had 22s but I know it looks hot!