Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: CLK500
Used 07 M6 vs. new 08 M5

Hey guys,

I need some pieces of advice. I am having a very hard time deciding between a 07 M6 with 4300 miles on it and a brand new 08 M5.
With the options I want, they would be about the same price.

I love the body style of the M6 but I am afraid to buy a used M6 because I don't know how it was driven and all.

Anybody wanna help with this hard decision?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Hey guys,

I need some pieces of advice. I am having a very hard time deciding between a 07 M6 with 4300 miles on it and a brand new 08 M5.
With the options I want, they would be about the same price.

I love the body style of the M6 but I am afraid to buy a used M6 because I don't know how it was driven and all.

Anybody wanna help with this hard decision?

Thanks.
Apples and oranges in one sense. But in the sense of new and used, I think your fear is well taken. X5 on this Board decided to get a used M5, but all of them had one weird problem after another. No two weird problems were alike. It was obvious that the cars were misused and then dumped (or repo'd).

If you are not willing to use someone else's unwashed underwear, there is probably a reason. Stick with your gut. It's telling you the right things.

Also, your rights under the Lemon laws are much better when you buy new from a dealer. BMW NA stands behind the car much more formally and reliably.

As pretty as the M6 is, go new.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: CLK500
Thanks for your wise words Malibubimmer!!

Anybody else want to take a stab at it?

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Parrothead/Car Nut

Mein Auto: CTT, M6, Smart 450 Conv.
I thought about a used car until I decided......................I can order a brand new car and get exactly what I want. On a used car, who the heck owned it last? Why did they get rid of it? Was it driven by a race car driver wannabe in those few thousand miles? Ooh, I don't like that color combo or options, where's another one?

My, new, ordered car comes in a few weeks from now.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefminis View Post
I thought about a used car until I decided......................I can order a brand new car and get exactly what I want. On a used car, who the heck owned it last? Why did they get rid of it? Was it driven by a race car driver wannabe in those few thousand miles? Ooh, I don't like that color combo or options, where's another one?

My, new, ordered car comes in a few weeks from now.
Dang. Interlagos Blue and Portland Brown leather. The perrect combo. Are you going to be brave and get the grey top, too? (Which is what I would have done.) And what color is your trim?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 AM
Parrothead/Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
Dang. Interlagos Blue and Portland Brown leather. The perrect combo. Are you going to be brave and get the grey top, too? (Which is what I would have done.) And what color is your trim?
I couldn't do the grey top, unless I went with the silverstone interior (which was a consideration if we decided to go Silver Grey/Silverstone. I stuck with the black top, grudgingly however...........I really would have preferred it if BMW had a blue top in the 6er palette.

I went with the carbon fibre for the trim. After having the aluminum trim in the M5, I couldn't go back to wood in a M car.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I couldn't do the grey top, unless I went with the silverstone interior (which was a consideration if we decided to go Silver Grey/Silverstone. I stuck with the black top, grudgingly however...........I really would have preferred it if BMW had a blue top in the 6er palette.

I went with the carbon fibre for the trim. After having the aluminum trim in the M5, I couldn't go back to wood in a M car.
I'm a wood man. The perect top for me would have been a tan color.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Parrothead/Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
I'm a wood man. The perect top for me would have been a tan color.
A tan top would be nice, but I'm always afraid that tan (like grey, incidentally), will get dirty kinda easy. I had a 911 in Midnight Blue with Cashmere many years ago, and I loved the blue top look.

I like wood, I'm just enjoying a change from it. Ain't it great that we get to have a few different choices?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
A tan top would be nice, but I'm always afraid that tan (like grey, incidentally), will get dirty kinda easy. I had a 911 in Midnight Blue with Cashmere many years ago, and I loved the blue top look.

I like wood, I'm just enjoying a change from it. Ain't it great that we get to have a few different choices?
This is why God invented soap.