Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Art N Motion

Send a message via AIM to jonsibal
Mein Auto: wide hooptie
Battle of the Bimmers suggestion

In regards to this part of the event, I just thought of maybe throwing this idea in here to get some feedbacks to see if its something that we can do for this year's Battle of the Bimmers.

From what I understand, here is the categories for Battle of the Bimmers.

Best Of Show

Modified Class
1st, 2nd 3rd

Stock Class
1st, 2nd 3rd

Classis Class
1st, 2nd 3rd

I have been to many other shows in the past where it's always the same cars that wins and after a while, it's not as exciting any more - not that they don't deserved it, just would have been better to see other cars gets the acknowledgment and recognition.

So I was thinking maybe this year, all the 1st place cars who won last year, including the Best of Show, be excluded from the competition. I was originally thinking for ALL (including 2nd and 3rd place winners) but that might be too much. This will only be for this year and then for next year's event, they can compete again and the 1st place cars for this year will be excluded for next years.

This way we can mix it up a bit and be a lot more fun that way. It has nothing to do with giving other cars a chance, but the spirit of it all is to keep it fresh and exciting.

I don't know how the other people who won 1st place last year would feel about this but I thought just to throw this idea out here and get a discussion going.

Again, this is just an idea. Post your thoughts. Thanks

"If you want to see misery, give people more than what they need." -C.S. Lewis

::::::Boostjunky Gear::::::JONSIBAL BLOG::::::
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 87 325es
how bout someone just build a ride that beats last years 1st place? i guess its another way of saying, i hope the judges can do their job well. if a car deserves 1st, it should get 1st.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Art N Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenthCurve View Post
how bout someone just build a ride that beats last years 1st place? i guess its another way of saying, i hope the judges can do their job well. if a car deserves 1st, it should get 1st.
I hope I didn't imply that the judges didn't do a good job or that the 1st place winners didn't deserved it, coz they all did. ( I got 1st place in Modified class .. )

But yeah, regardless if this idea flies or not, there will be tons of deserving cars this year too so it's all good, just a thought is all.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

Send a message via AIM to 94is
Mein Auto: 94' S50B32 325is
I think that is a fair idea.
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Hi Jon,

Great points made!

We don't have to worry about last year's BOS winner because Ryan Castro is going to be one of our judges this year! I need to find a couple of other highly-qualified judges. Would you be interested?

--jon

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Art N Motion

Jon, thanks for the offer. I think I would only be comfortable judging the Modified class. Sounds like a big responsibility. Let me think about it some more and I'll get back to you.

Kim, thanks for posting.

Last edited by jonsibal; 04-29-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to kalib0y
Mein Auto: bmw Widebody turbo 328is
I think that the Battle of the Bimmers hasn't been around enough to determine the pattern of winners or to create a streak of repetitive winnings as of yet.

I think that excluding the past winners is not in the spirit of competition. Winning the previous year just lets the other contestants know the benchmark that they have to meet or exceed to win this year. Winning last year doesn't mean that the same car will win this year, as far as I have seen, because there are new contestants every year, some that may have an award winning car that Bimmerfest hasnt seen just yet. The classes that Jonsibal helped design are there to give contestants something to work for within their scope of the competition and they are very reasonable. Contestants can work at moving up the categories or in places to make the competition more exciting without exceeding certain goals or budgets hehe.

I asked some of the Judges last year why I won best of show and they told me it was because I was the only, or one of few, to display a dynosheet. Heck I thought I was lucky as hell to win best of show with all the other beautiful BMWs there. I am sure that the judges have probably told other contestants why they have chosen whom for what award, so now those contestants are driven to work on their projects if their goal is to win a certain category or even best of show. Just imagine how many dynosheets will be put up this year for everyone to drool at!!! I cant wait!

I am honored to be a part of this years judging team, and I will do my best in helping the best cars get the recognition they need. I do, however, regret to inform you guys that my car will not be making it out this year. Relocating the office and a warehouse have pushed back prepping my car to even be presentable at this year's event. Its got no shoes right now!

I know that this year will bring some crazy BMWs, from classic, to clean, to wild, as there were hints of last year. And as the years go by it can only get better and bring the best out of each contestant making more and more enjoyable for each attendee!

See you guys there!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

I am definitely not gonna post my dyno sheet. I haven't even broken 300 yet.

Either way, I'll be there, with my stinky car. See you guys on Saturday.
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

Oh, I just remembered that we have a similar sort of situation with SD chapters annual Clean Car Contest. Any car that has won 1st a previous year, automatically gets entered into an experts class. Maybe something like that would work for Bimmerfest?
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
www.my330i.com

Send a message via AIM to marvelphx
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ESS ZHP
I have always felt that if there was a certain minimum of a certain model, say 30 or more, then they should have their own "Best" award. Like the Best E36, E46, E21, E30, etc. Then the top best 3 of show. Same number of trophies, more winners abroad, and more reason for someone to bring the special BMW than the common one.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM

the "best of" would work for each class. Then an overall best of show and if a class like E28 wants to be added for example, then there should be a minimum entrants for that to become a class
Old 04-30-2007, 05:47 PM
www.my330i.com

That's what I said isnt it?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 PM
328i for life

Send a message via AIM to Ronnaferd Send a message via MSN to Ronnaferd
Mein Auto: 97 328i sport pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelphx View Post
I have always felt that if there was a certain minimum of a certain model, say 30 or more, then they should have their own "Best" award. Like the Best E36, E46, E21, E30, etc. Then the top best 3 of show. Same number of trophies, more winners abroad, and more reason for someone to bring the special BMW than the common one.
I like the idea of having the best of each model (e36,e46)
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM

^ yes, i was agreeing with you
Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelphx View Post
The only problem with this idea is the finding that many attendees already feel that the awards presentations take too long...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
The only problem with this idea is the finding that many attendees already feel that the awards presentations take too long...
Maybe the whole award process needs to be reorganized and the types of awards could be better awarded. It's a bit late to implement now, but maybe next year?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to award each class verses giving out random prizes for no particular reason other than a matching ticket number. It's more "car" oriented this way and it's all about the cars at the end of the day. People put a lot of work and effort in their cars (I know I do and certainly have over the years.) I feel it should be more broadly recognized.

Of course the raffle still should be incorporated because the proceeds go to a very good cause. My point is, limiting the "free" giveaways to allow more time for an each class award. Or say, God for bid, upping the the entrance fee to $25; up five from this year to cover the loss?

Just my $.02

Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
www.my330i.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalib0y View Post
^ yes, i was agreeing with you

Quote:
Just have to make Bimmerfest last longer for the money say 9-6! Full day event!!! More time for raffles, prizes, mingling, showing off, clinics, and trophy presentations.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
The award presentations are fine. The delivery of the raffle prizes takes too long, especially for the smaller prizes (too much sponsor swag is a nice problem to have). That latter probably involves a balancing act between maximizing the visibility of the contributing sponsor and maintaining interest in the overall event. Maybe award lesser prizes once an hour (and you don't have to be within earshot to win) rather than all at once?

Closer to the topic of this thread, I looked for a discussion of the Battle of the Bimmers award categories and rules and couldn't find one. I did not search the forums as this information needs to be more visible than that - I just looked on the event site and its direct links plus stickies here. I'm pretty good at finding stuff online. This information needs to be WAY more accessible.

Last edited by Cliff; 05-01-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Art N Motion

Thanks for posting guys.

A lot of great points here. Maybe we can even make the show like a weekend type deal. That would be fun.

Ideally, it would be great to have more categories in the future if the budget permits. That would be a great way to acknowledge more cars and see a lot more owners up in the stage receiving accolades, then personally I wouldn't mind having all the top winners be part of the competition every year.

But as Brad pointed out, this might be too late to implement any of this suggestion for this year but maybe something to consider in future BOTB. We do have a great set up as is and I'm sure it will all work out.

Jon, I probably will not be able to join the judging team this year but would be interested in the future if you and the crew still needs help.

Thanks again everyone and we'll probably refer back to this thread in the future to consider the great ideas you guys posted here.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: M6, M3, DINAN 750iL, Z8
Quote:
Hi Jon,

Great points made!

We don't have to worry about last year's BOS winner because Ryan Castro is going to be one of our judges this year! I need to find a couple of other highly-qualified judges. Would you be interested?

--jon
We also don't have to worry about last year's Stock Class Winner because I'm not bringing my M6 this year. I will, however, be bringing my DINAN 750iL and I expect that bad boy to win.

///M Blitz (AKA Dan)

- 88 M6 (33K mi - original owner)
"The best M6 in the World" - BMW Car mag. (Nov. 05)
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2006
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2011
- 89 DINAN 750iL (69K mi - original owner)
**Second place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2008
- 98 M3 (65K mi - original owner)
- 03 Z8 (8K mi - original owner)
- 12 X5 Diesel (dd)
-------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: E36 328is
I agree with you jon.

We should have the classes spread out a bit more.

Tuner class
Modified class E30,E36,E46,E90... and so on.
Stock class
classic class

Alot of work but its a suggestion.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
wrencher

Send a message via AIM to 318daily Send a message via Yahoo to 318daily
Mein Auto: E36 M3/4, LX450, IS300
I think there should be some sort of online pre-registration for the contest. Then have the person print out their confirmation code and place it on the front dash.

The judges walk around and view the cars at their own leisure. If they need more info about a car they can refer to the registration info (which is private) and call that person on the cell and have them meet at the car to gather whatever info is necessary.

I just think there's going to be so much chaos anyway that it's going to be tough to try and organize a formal "show". This way people won't be complaining that they didn't hear the cattle call about when/where/who and it easily filters out cars that seriously aren't worthy of show competiton.

That's my $.00001

See you all on Saturday. Drive safe.

---
Current:
'98 M3/4

Previous:
'03 540iT
'97 528i
'89 325is
'91 318is

SoCal BMWCCA Member 301032