Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I like Bimmers

Mein Auto: 2004 Pontiac Grand Am
Horrible crash involving new Bimmer...

For Bellmore teens, a horrible wake-up call

BY EMERSON CLARRIDGE
Special to Newsday

April 28, 2007, 8:48 PM EDT

It was the last place they expected to be on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

But many of the 35 teenagers who gathered in the median of the Northern State Parkway in Dix Hills Saturday said they simply had to come see the spot where two high school buddies died in a horrific car crash Thursday night.
"I didn't want to come but I had to come," said Deena Polsinelli, 16, who said that just hours before the crash, one of the victims, Giacomo "Jack" Alfieri, had asked her to go to the prom.

"Jack was my prom date, and Mike was my best friend," said Polsinelli, referring to the other victim, Michael Moniz. Both victims were 17.

They sifted through a vast debris field of car parts and latex gloves left behind after the crash in which the two seniors at John F. Kennedy High School in Bellmore were killed after their car hit a tree in the median at more than 100 mph. at 8:27 p.m.

With Moniz, of Bellmore, in the passenger seat, Alfieri, of Merrick, was weaving in and out of traffic in his father's 2007 BMW in the eastbound lanes of the parkway just west of Exit 42, Deer Park Avenue, when the accident occurred, police said.

The mourners gathered at the crash site Saturday to erect a memorial. They left flowers, candles and tied a cross made of red, white and green flowers to the tree where their friends' lives ended.

As she watched her son Marc, 18, tie a cross to the tree, Suzanne Frank said the accident would not stop teens from driving at high speeds, but it should.

"Certainly for our kids it's a wake-up call," she said.

Both victims' families announced plans for funeral services Saturday. Visiting for Alfieri will be Monday from 2 to 5 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. at the N.F. Walker Funeral Home in Merrick. His funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. on Tuesday at the Cure of Ars Parish in Merrick.

The viewing for Moniz will be Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9:30 p.m. at the Bartholomew Funeral Home in Bellmore. The funeral Mass will be Monday at 11:45 a.m. at St. Barnabas Catholic Church in Bellmore.

At the crash scene Saturday, teenagers spent the afternoon sifting through the brush. They found earphones, a gray headrest and Alfieri's acceptance letter to Hofstra University, where he had planned to study business in the fall. He was an only child who had burns on his arms from pulling hot pizzas out of the ovens at the Bohemia restaurant that his family runs.

"His father, Anthony, will probably never be the same," said Barbara Skelly, a former waitress at Saviano's on Sunrise Highway that the Alfieri family has run for 30 years. She stopped by the restaurant Saturday to drop off a flower at the door.

A sign taped to the door said the restaurant would be closed until further notice.

Roman Spinner, 58, who lives in the same house as the Moniz family, described Michael as a polite boy with an easy smile who seemed fascinated by cars.

"He was constantly in the backyard tinkering around with the family's three cars."

Not sure if this has been posted. Later, QD.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Smart Passion, F-250 4x4
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
e30 lover

Mein Auto: e30 325is
damn that sux, R.I.P ...seems the kid was an enthusiast too
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Weaving through traffic at well over 100 MPH? Dumb-@ss, Darwin award winner, and "inevitable result" come to mind.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I like Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Weaving through traffic at well over 100 MPH? Dumb-@ss, Darwin award winner, and "inevitable result" come to mind.
That's my thought. Feel for his parents, but nothing for him. Better him than the family of four heading out for nice afternoon. Later, QD.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Quote:
it's a wake-up call
No it's not. That has been said over and over and over countless times. There will always be idiots teenagers being stupid when driving. It's just Darwin taking out the dumb ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
///Monster Energy!

Send a message via AIM to BMWE30freak
Mein Auto: 1989 325i
It sucks but thats what he gets for being stupid.

Most kids get in a car like that and think that they can handle it at high speeds. If you do something like that then AT LEAST go to a driving school and DON"T do it in alot of traffic. If you ask me, he was just being plain old stipid.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
I did a lot of dumb things behind the wheel as a teen, I survived those years, some do not

Many years ago, a friend of the family explained it to me best, his take was kids have extreme faith in the car, that the car will save them, whereas adults seem to have an understanding of all the things that can happen.

Looking back, I think that's sort of true, I never worried about the kid riding his bike out of the driveway on a blind curve, or what was over the next crest - I just plundered forward, faithfully expecting the car to "perform".

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
www.125thfloor.com

Send a message via AIM to Swift Send a message via MSN to Swift Send a message via Yahoo to Swift
Mein Auto: '07 530i
That car simply disintegrated.

Another statistic.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Repost, I think this is the original: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202679
Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
I did my share of stupid stuff as a kid. There's a reason that teenage male drivers are rated as an extremely high risk.

We owe it to our kids to teach safe driving habits.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
You know, if this was posted on the Darwin Awards site, we'd all be laughing.

As sad as it is to see two lives lost regardless of age or method, I can't help myself. Part of me is relieved that there's a few less morons on the streets and happy that they didn't take anyone else with them.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Lovin' Life

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6

The destruction of that vehicle is so complete it's hard to tell what it was prior to impact.

I feel sorry for their families.

Most boys in their late teens through early 20's have survived poor judgment, myself included. Some do not.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtorbn View Post

The destruction of that vehicle is so complete it's hard to tell what it was prior to impact.

I feel sorry for their families.

Most boys in their late teens through early 20's have survived poor judgment, myself included. Some do not.
+1 From the wheels, I think its a 550i.

Wow, this is sad. RIP.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to tgee Send a message via Yahoo to tgee
Mein Auto: 06 330CI Alpine ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise View Post
You know, if this was posted on the Darwin Awards site, we'd all be laughing.

As sad as it is to see two lives lost regardless of age or method, I can't help myself. Part of me is relieved that there's a few less morons on the streets and happy that they didn't take anyone else with them.
I don't think so. Like many have said, at some point we all do something utterly stupid, some just pay more for their stupidity than others.

-Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.-Robert A. Heinlein

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious-Unknown
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgee View Post
I don't think so. Like many have said, at some point we all do something utterly stupid, some just pay more for their stupidity than others.
True, but the point of the Darwin Award is to highlight and make fun of those who pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to tgee Send a message via Yahoo to tgee
Mein Auto: 06 330CI Alpine ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise View Post
True, but the point of the Darwin Award is to highlight and make fun of those who pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.
It's one thing to laugh at some guy that dies by jumping off a bridge with too long of a rope and completely another that involves something many of us have done ourselves at some point. That hits too close to home to be very funny.

-Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.-Robert A. Heinlein

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious-Unknown
Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I like Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
+1 From the wheels, I think its a 550i.

Wow, this is sad. RIP.

2007 335i. Later, QD.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Save the Males!

Mein Auto: Der Reihensechszylinder
I feel sorry for the dad. That was a Brand New car, and can you imagine what the father thinks now. Thinking about that car, and how it lead to the death of his son and friend. I wish that I had foresight to know how I would die, because driving a car is the most dangerous thing that 99% of people do. I look at my car and think, "I shure hope I dont die in that thing." because really there is nothing you can do about it if you are a smart and careful driver.

We have all done our share of stupid things, and made it out alive. It really takes a tragedy close to home to make someone realize the risks that they take, by making high speed runs, or having a few too many drinks to realize how quickly things happen and how quickly life can end.

A perfect example of how quickly a fun time can turn bad.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk2100n View Post
I wish that I had foresight to know how I would die, because driving a car is the most dangerous thing that 99% of people do.
Is it the most dangerous thing? I wonder about that. The leading cause of death in America is cardiovascular failure. So I would think the most dangerous thing to do is to get out of shape.

If you want foresight on how you will most likely die, go read "How We Die" by Sherwin B. Nuland. Great read. Chances are, your clinical death will be described quite nicely in those pages. In it, he describes the 10 (or so) most likely ways people die in America, none of them are car accidents.

How someone dies is a worthy subject to think about, and to give serious thought. No one seems to do so, aside from "yeah I'll probably die in a dramatic car accident."
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to DaKine
Mein Auto: 2002 M Coupe
You mess with the bull, you get the horns. It's very sad, especialy for the parents of the kids. Lets just be glad they didn't kill anyone else.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Wow, you can't even tell what it is... Very tragic overall.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
I did a lot of dumb things behind the wheel as a teen, I survived those years, some do not

Many years ago, a friend of the family explained it to me best, his take was kids have extreme faith in the car, that the car will save them, whereas adults seem to have an understanding of all the things that can happen.

Looking back, I think that's sort of true, I never worried about the kid riding his bike out of the driveway on a blind curve, or what was over the next crest - I just plundered forward, faithfully expecting the car to "perform".

Ed
Definitely true. Some of the things I just expected from my mom's Dodge van (my first car) when I was in high school I wouldn't dare try even in my 540i now. I don't know how I didn't kill myself. Unfortunately, the media and the police generally don't detail anything about accidents involving teenage drivers besides their "unsafe" speed, even if it wasn't the cause of the accident. For all we know, some asshole going 45 in the left lane could have cut him off, caused the accident, then drove on, and the police wouldn't care even if they knew. "Speed kills" bull**** will never appeal to and therefore never help teen drivers. Someone needs to teach teens what their car can do and what it can't and they will be much more likely to figure out on their own what speed they should or should not be driving at. Also, I think the parents are at fault. No 2007 BMW should be in the hands of an 17 year old, especially when he's distracted by driving around friends and under pressure to show off.

Very tragic overall though.

Last edited by fm_illuminatus; 04-30-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_illuminatus View Post
Definitely true. Some of the things I just expected from my mom's Dodge van (my first car) when I was in high school I wouldn't dare try even in my 540i now. I don't know how I didn't kill myself. Unfortunately, the media and the police generally don't detail anything about accidents involving teenage drivers besides their "unsafe" speed, even if it wasn't the cause of the accident. For all we know, some asshole going 45 in the left lane could have cut him off, caused the accident, then drove on, and the police wouldn't care even if they knew. "Speed kills" bull**** will never appeal to and therefore never help teen drivers. Someone needs to teach teens what their car can do and what it can't and they will be much more likely to figure out on their own what speed they should or should not be driving at. Also, I think the parents are at fault. No 2007 BMW should be in the hands of an 17 year old, especially when he's distracted by driving around friends and under pressure to show off.

Very tragic overall though.
Biggest killer of teens is car accidents

I mostly agree, I wish we could send every kid to a Skip Barber-type course, but the sad fact is, our driver education courses are getting cut back even further and some parents will not only lend their kids the BMW, they'll buy them a brand new one.

When I was 16, my dad used to say "giving a kid his license is like giving him a loaded gun" - I used to get pissed when he said it then, but he had a point.

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)