Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Jon Shafer's Avatar
Jon Shafer Jon Shafer is offline
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder
Location: Santa Barbara
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,217
Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post
With some persuading I believe the CHP would allow a massive drive to take place, however, this is assuming it is well organized. The only thing CHP is not going to like is stopping traffic for a solid 8-10 minutes for all the cars to get onto the freeway. There are a lot of little problems with having a drive of bimmerfest proportions but all seem to be overcome-able.

e30freak, your right that we will need pace cars, however, we should shoot to get a police escort if possible.

I will eventually talk to Jon and try to become the coordinator of an epic drive after the 08' Bimmerfest. All the ideas we have come up with so far sound great, I think the drive will happen and will be great next year.
If someone like you would take on the responsibility, that would be great.

In all honesty, my personal favorite part of the whole event (up until a couple of years ago when things just got too out of control) was the Bimmerfest Road Rally.
__________________
Order your new BMW Today! BMW SANTA BARBARA jshafer@sbautogroup.com


Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM
BruinGM BruinGM is offline
The 12th Bruin!
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i Topaz Blue
Does anyone know how Harley Davidson manages the Love Ride?

They get a $H|T load of bikes on their ride and they don't get hassled by the law...

Does anyone know anyone who could talk to them and see how they manage the ride?

Also, if they get an OK from the law, I don't see why we wouldn't...I would think that we are a little less rowdy than the Harley riders...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,839
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post
Oh and for the record... on this years drive, I didn't see anyone do anything stupid...


About 42 seconds into it some asshead does a burnout and comes dangerously close to other cars and the camera man. This kinda stuff is what spoils the rally and is why it is no longer official.

Rather than exemplifying cool and class, people feel the need to make idiots of themselves instead. That isn't very "Bimmerfest" to me.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Drives are fun. Especially spirited ones. The problem is that as the group gets larger, the idiot quotient climbs exponentially and 'incidents' ensue.

Personally, I've done one bimmerfest caravan and it will be my only one. It was fun, to be sure, but I witnessed enough azzhattery that I just don't want to be a part of.

When you don't have control (I mean quality control, not physical) over EVERYONE on a drive, there is no telling what you'll end up with. Probably people like those that were racing around, doing burnouts, etc at 2am on Friday night/Saturday morning. I wouldn't really want to share the track with people like that - where there is a huge emphasis on safety - much less would I trust twits like that on the street.

/rant
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .

Last edited by ffej; 05-07-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Slvr e39 Slvr e39 is offline
e39 e39 e39
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
If someone like you would take on the responsibility, that would be great.

In all honesty, my personal favorite part of the whole event (up until a couple of years ago when things just got too out of control) was the Bimmerfest Road Rally.
I don't see why it can't continue to be the favorite part of many festers. That's why I am thinking about taking responsibility for the rally to keep it alive...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Slvr e39 Slvr e39 is offline
e39 e39 e39
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Drives are fun. Especially spirited ones. The problem is that as the group gets larger, the idiot quotient climbs exponentially and 'incidents' ensue.

Personally, I've done one bimmerfest caravan and it will be my only one. It was fun, to be sure, but I witnessed enough azzhattery that I just don't want to be a part of.

When you don't have control (I mean quality control, not physical) over EVERYONE on a drive, there is no telling what you'll end up with. Probably people like those that were racing around, doing burnouts, etc at 2am on Friday night/Saturday morning. I wouldn't really want to share the track with people like that - where there is a huge emphasis on safety - much less would I trust twits like that on the street.

/rant
Spirited drives with a couple buddies is alright, however were talking 100's of cars on a single route. The possiblity of danger is increased dramatically, another reason why the orginization and possible signing of a waver is key to sucess
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Slvr e39 Slvr e39 is offline
e39 e39 e39
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGM View Post
Does anyone know how Harley Davidson manages the Love Ride?

They get a $H|T load of bikes on their ride and they don't get hassled by the law...

Does anyone know anyone who could talk to them and see how they manage the ride?

Also, if they get an OK from the law, I don't see why we wouldn't...I would think that we are a little less rowdy than the Harley riders...
Maybe I could get in touch with the coordinator of that drive and get some advice!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
JAWJr's Avatar
JAWJr JAWJr is offline
Le plaisir de conduire
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 494
Send a message via AIM to JAWJr
Mein Auto: All Manuals
I just wanted to add that I had a great time on the rally. It was dissapointing due to the lack of people, but all in all it was just fun to drive those gorgeous roads with you fellow festers'. I was the red 335 coupe.

About the escort, we pratically had one! The people in my car were laughing because that helecopter never left my sight, they kept saying "Oh! I bet they're saying follow the red one!" How much does it cost to have that thing flying for an hour? Can't be cheap. Point is, the only thing we were all going to get a ticket for was driving too slow, so some sort of an organized rally with pacing leaders might be an answer. Looking forward to the next one!

~Jon
__________________
2013 135is | Le Mans / Black w/ Blue stitching | Manual | Premium | HK Sound

1991 318is | BrilliantRot / Natur ette' | Manual | Fogs | Sunroof

2009 135i Cp | Alpine White / Black Plastic Cow | ZSP | ZPS SOLD

2007 Z4 R 3.0i | Silber Grau / Dream Red | ZSP | 711 | 522 | 494 SOLD

2007 335i Cp | A61 / LCSW | ZPP | ZSP | 322 | 4AS | 609 | 655 SOLD

2005 DINAN 330Ci | Silber Grau / Alacantara | ZHP | ED 12.10.04 SOLD

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Slvr e39 Slvr e39 is offline
e39 e39 e39
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWJr View Post
I just wanted to add that I had a great time on the rally. It was dissapointing due to the lack of people, but all in all it was just fun to drive those gorgeous roads with you fellow festers'. I was the red 335 coupe.

About the escort, we pratically had one! The people in my car were laughing because that helecopter never left my sight, they kept saying "Oh! I bet they're saying follow the red one!" How much does it cost to have that thing flying for an hour? Can't be cheap. Point is, the only thing we were all going to get a ticket for was driving too slow, so some sort of an organized rally with pacing leaders might be an answer. Looking forward to the next one!

~Jon
Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone on the rally was making fun of the cops for wasting their time and money. I was also thinking the same thing about my color, "yea we have a bright yellow bmw going 55mph... were gonna pursue"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM
1995_e36M3Blue 1995_e36M3Blue is offline
Con Artist For Hire
Location: Riverside, CA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to 1995_e36M3Blue Send a message via Yahoo to 1995_e36M3Blue
Mein Auto: 1995 M3 (Blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_i2rd_R View Post
I just found this on youtube. Thank you to the poster.

your welcome. that was me driving and my buddy filming. and i totally agree with the gentleman w/ the mustard M3. if it came down to it, people who know people that can make "arrangements" with CHP should opt to be Rally leaders. I was in the front most of the time this year and quite frankly, even though i wanted to be back further to film I rather enjoyed leading, however I found it very disapointing that in the 1/2 hour of asking random people, which i probably asked more that 50, that no one even knew that there was a rally.
__________________

Every Aspect Counts
///My MySpace...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Paul Christian Paul Christian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: t.dot-ajax
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,056
Mein Auto: 87.325is
there is some very good ideas there,but even with that done someone will do something DUMB....to do it rigth have the MODS in place like every 10 or so cars and if someone pass them they get ban for a week or something like that??just idea....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Christian View Post
there is some very good ideas there,but even with that done someone will do something DUMB....to do it rigth have the MODS in place like every 10 or so cars and if someone pass them they get ban for a week or something like that??just idea....
While that sounds like a great idea, in reality, many people who show up for bimmerfest don't actually contribute to this forum. There's a huge bf.c contingent, among other forums that show up en masse, so banning a guy who doesn't have an account may not work.

Still, I LOL'd at your idea because it's stupid, funny and brilliant at the same time.
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
1995_e36M3Blue 1995_e36M3Blue is offline
Con Artist For Hire
Location: Riverside, CA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to 1995_e36M3Blue Send a message via Yahoo to 1995_e36M3Blue
Mein Auto: 1995 M3 (Blue)
not even that, we really wanted this, we would need to first greese up the CHP, Then get that damn traffic light shut down. not croud the on/off ramp @ start point but maybe the turn and the road to the right. then from that point you split the group in intervals of 10 seconds with a pacekeeper as the lead and keep the groups to a maximum of 10 cars and on top of that, set strict guidelines on passing.
__________________

Every Aspect Counts
///My MySpace...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
taimaishuu916 taimaishuu916 is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento,CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: .....
One quick question, where did everyone meet up for the rally?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Brad323i Brad323i is offline
...is never off duty.
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
In the foreseeable future I cannot see this ever working again, unfortantly.

With that said, that car count is just too massive and it impeads traffic not only on US101, but also on SR154 which is unacceptable for anyone traveling on those roads. That's the main issue here, not to mention people's driving habits were getting out of hand all at the same time.
__________________
Sign here, press hard, three copies! Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.


Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
DaKine DaKine is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,508
Send a message via AIM to DaKine
Mein Auto: 2002 M Coupe
Organizing a rally would be easy. Simply post the time, an exact route, rules, etc on all the BMW Forums you're a reputable member of.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Brad323i Brad323i is offline
...is never off duty.
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishuu916 View Post
One quick question, where did everyone meet up for the rally?
Along the Refugio exit/on ramps off US101.
__________________
Sign here, press hard, three copies! Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.


Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 PM
taimaishuu916 taimaishuu916 is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento,CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i View Post
Along the Refugio exit/on ramps off US101.
going norht 101 right? I never got to meet you at bimmerfest.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Paul Christian Paul Christian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: t.dot-ajax
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,056
Mein Auto: 87.325is
ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
While that sounds like a great idea, in reality, many people who show up for bimmerfest don't actually contribute to this forum. There's a huge bf.c contingent, among other forums that show up en masse, so banning a guy who doesn't have an account may not work.

Still, I LOL'd at your idea because it's stupid, funny and brilliant at the same time.
for memeber only....and for the bf.c guys have their MODS come on the rally to keep theirs in line,it can been set-up too,just JON is besy for this part of it so a MOD take that on and then pass it on the other furoms that show....it is all about the SHOW and CRUISES...and a big part is respact for the laws....How many MODS does THE FEST have???
__________________

Last edited by Paul Christian; 05-07-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Brad323i Brad323i is offline
...is never off duty.
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 146
Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishuu916 View Post
going norht 101 right? I never got to meet you at bimmerfest.
Correct.

Were you the one that sent me a PM to go out for drinks? I got that PM late in the game. Anywho, we will eventually, promise!
__________________
Sign here, press hard, three copies! Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.


Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
geduardo geduardo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: HAYWARD,CA (BAY AREA)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 101
Send a message via AIM to geduardo
Mein Auto: 01 Steel Gray E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone on the rally was making fun of the cops for wasting their time and money. I was also thinking the same thing about my color, "yea we have a bright yellow bmw going 55mph... were gonna pursue"

Dude, I LOVED your car. One of my favorites at the fest
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Slvr e39 Slvr e39 is offline
e39 e39 e39
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by geduardo View Post
Dude, I LOVED your car. One of my favorites at the fest
Thanks! You must have been on the drive, I didn't get to the fest until 2:30!! But, thanks a bunch, made my day.

Oh and btw, I'm not sure you would be interested but I'm just throwing this out to you, me and some other fanatics meet on sundays for photos, if your interested just send me a PM. We meet over at De Anza College at 5:30.
__________________

Last edited by Slvr e39; 05-07-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
geduardo geduardo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: HAYWARD,CA (BAY AREA)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 101
Send a message via AIM to geduardo
Mein Auto: 01 Steel Gray E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post
Thanks! You must have been on the drive, I didn't get to the fest until 2:30!! But, thanks a bunch, made my day.
NP...Naa I didn't go on the drive. We had a canopy a few feet away from your car. You had just pulled up (it was later in the day) when I saw it. Your wheels are SICK!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Slvr e39 Slvr e39 is offline
e39 e39 e39
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Mein Auto: Dinan Stg 1 M3 Coupe
As you can see above, I believe that the drive is totally possible. Sure there are going to be those drivers who just can't resist to unleash their bmw's in an unsafe manner, but with proper preparation these instances can be cut down dramatically and a fun and safe rally can take place.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
geduardo geduardo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: HAYWARD,CA (BAY AREA)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 101
Send a message via AIM to geduardo
Mein Auto: 01 Steel Gray E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr e39 View Post

Oh and btw, I'm not sure you would be interested but I'm just throwing this out to you, me and some other fanatics meet on sundays for photos, if your interested just send me a PM. We meet over at De Anza College at 5:30.
I might have to take you up on that some time, thanks for the offer
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms