Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1JZ E36 M3
E36 M3 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo Build! Purists Beware

Hi, new to the forum here. My name is Reilly, I'm 20 years old. I have a 1995 Hellrot E36 M3 that i'm currently swapping a twin turbo 1JZ-GTE into. This will be a build thread documenting my progress as well as a rough guide on what you'd need to do the swap. This will be picture-heavy so bear with me.

Background? Well I imported the 1JZ with the desired R154 transmission about a year ago. I bought a Toyota Cressida as a shell for the swap originally. I finished the swap in three weeks flat, all my myself. Here are a few pictures and a video of the swap.

Here's the car the 1JZ will be going into.

This is right before I went and started pulling the engine out.

I will be doing numerous fixes and conversions to the 1JZ like converting from front sump to rear sump, new turbo oil drain hoses and fittings, rear main seal, clutch job, valve cover gaskets, adding new motor mounts, new shifter bushings, etc.

Here begins the rear sump swap ( my front sump would hit the crossmember in the E36 chassis. You need a rear sump. ) which was cake.

Here's the brand new complete rear sump kit from DriftMotion

For anyone using any old RTV on Toyotas... STOP! Use this stuff, it's magical.

Then I decided to clean my disgusting bellhousing.

I had traded my R154 transmission for another R154 with a Supra tail housing so the shifter fits in the stock E36 location. It came with a 7M-GTE bellhousing so I swapped my JZ bellhousing on and torqued down the bolts, refitted the fork pivot, fork, and slave cylinder.

So this is where I am at currently with the build. I get my Wiring Specialties E36 1JZ harness tomorrow, and i'm having my flywheel machined, driveshaft made, and transmission brace modified to fit my polyurethane R154 mount onto it. Stay tuned for frequent updates on the M3 1JZ Twin Turbo build!

Advertisement
Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Cool! But why did you go through all that trouble to swap it into the Cressida and paint it and then pull the plug and swap it into the M3?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E36 2.93:1 differential
Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Cool! But why did you go through all that trouble to swap it into the Cressida and paint it and then pull the plug and swap it into the M3?
The Cressida just wasn't my style. I wanted to make it a big sedan drifter, but I like small, lightweight, strong chassis, good handling cars. So, I sold the Cressida shell and proceeded to swap the JZ into the E36.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Warm Leatherette

Yeah, makes sense. With the Cressida, you kind of have to be into nondescript sedans that aren't particularly handsome.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 PM
E36 addict since 1992

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1434949200.760037.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	515689
Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3/4
No, no no, that's not it folks. I'll tell you why.... But first we have to go back in time some 15 years. Here's Reilly wrenching on his first car, with his 14 month younger brother:

Drifting, as you can see from the worn out tires on their first cars, was a popular past-time already in their younger days:

Soon, they were bored with that and took their wrenching energy out on Dad's 93 325i:

Fast forward a few years and it should come as no surprise that this happened next:

The black 95 M3 has since been replaced with a red one, so now we're right back where we started: both have red cars.

And that's when the 'my-car-is-better-than-your-car" bantering began. Of course neither one of them would be found dead in a 4 door M3, let alone one with a slushbox

Naturally the day came when we lined all 3 of them up for a drag race. So here they were in their '95 and '99 lowered coupes with CAI's and exhausts and chips and 5 speeds, against Dad in his lame bone stock silver 98 M3 automatic sedan...

To their complete and utter astonishment, I spanked them both by a couple of car lengths

Of course, they swore revenge. The youngest promptly dropped a set of Schrick cams in his, did a M50 manifold conversion, Turner stage 2 tune - going the tuned NA route. And the oldest is going all out with this here 1JZ swap, because, ya know, you need 500 hp to keep up with dad!

And dad? Well I must admit, I'm getting a little worried. I gotta get to work. I have big plans. That slushbox has to come out. E46 M3 6MT sounds like a good plan. Next, FI. Stage 1, 350hp. So, stay tuned, because there will be a detailed build thread from Dad coming too here some day.

All kidding aside, there isn't a prouder dad on the face of this earth. After countless Camry and Accord father-son projects, these people don't need dad anymore. I am watching this build with sheer amazement. These are seriously big projects and neither one even blinks about taking an entire car apart. I'm so proud of you guys!

But about that YouTube video kiddo.... at 1:31...
Old 06-21-2015, 11:56 PM

More progress... plumbed oil drain lines with a new OEM oil drain y-pipe and quality steel reinforced, braided oil rated hoses with factory clamps.

Last edited by Reilly1JZ; 06-22-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: resized images
Old 06-22-2015, 03:11 PM

Hey Rei, did that new rear sump kit come with a different oil pick-up tube and strainer? I can see the old tube and strainer you had to take off, but I don't see a new tube/strainer mounted just before you put that second oil pan on
Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads98M3 View Post
did that new rear sump kit come with a different oil pick-up tube and strainer?
Yea, here it is
Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
cool to see dad & sons together with regard to car stuff.

while not a fan of the cressida, i am a huge fan of sleeper sedans. that being said, i admit, i am not a fan of asian powertrain swaps into the e36 chassis.

still, your car, your call, your fun. will be interesting to watch this progression, and i will most definitely follow this thread.

df
Old 06-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Warm Leatherette

They are great engines, though. No doubt about that.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
I'm loving this thread. Glad to see father and sons sharing their passion for cars.

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: '96 328i 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
cool to see dad & sons together with regard to car stuff.

while not a fan of the cressida, i am a huge fan of sleeper sedans. that being said, i admit, i am not a fan of asian powertrain swaps into the e36 chassis.

still, your car, your call, your fun. will be interesting to watch this progression, and i will most definitely follow this thread.

df
The s52 can't touch the jz engines. They are on a different level.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Update, engine is in the car, pretty tight fit!

got my wiring harness from Wiring specialties

Bolted on the new clutch kit and rebuild clutch hub assembly

Then bolted up the trans and started mating it up into the engine bay

So, I ended up spending about three hours adjusting motor mounts in order to get a perfect fit. Pulling the engine back out over and over again, but it's in!

Here's the shifter placement

Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Warm Leatherette

Looks great! That shifter placement looks spot-on, too.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 06-28-2015, 12:40 PM

That IS a tight fit, WOW! I can't imagine that struggle... Did your brother help you at all shoehorn that puppy in there did you do it all by yourself? How much clearance do you have by that right shock tower? Have you tried to see if the hood will close yet?

Last edited by Dads98M3; 06-28-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Looks great! That shifter placement looks spot-on, too.
Thank you!

Quote:
That IS a tight fit, WOW! I can't imagine that struggle... Did your brother help you at all shoehorn that puppy in there did you do it all by yourself? How much clearance do you have by that right shock tower? Have you tried to see if the hood will close yet?
The engine position is actually adjustable in every way. I have it sitting as low as possible, but might have to raise it to clear the x-member a bit better. It actually wasn't bad, struggle-wise. I did it myself, just took a few hours. I have about two inches of clearance over there on the P/S shock tower. Going to be difficult fitting a big single turbo! Might just have to upgrade the twins. The engine sits lower than the S50 did, so the hood should still close.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:20 PM

So right now the car is running and driving perfectly. Here's the last of the updates and struggles I had finishing the build.

Had this awesomely overkill power steering hose made by Williams Oil in Tacoma. Should never have a problem with this thing.

Here's the throttle cable I'll be using. It's from a 4 cylinder camry. The BMW cable was just a bit too short, so I went around various cars at the local wrecking yard, measured the cable length, and adapted them to fit my car.

Probably the most annoying thing was the radiator. I bought a brand new Mishimoto E36 replacement, but found that it couldn't be bled properly because the 1JZ uses a different style radiator originally. The problem was the E36 doesn't have a high-pressure fill cap on the top like most cars. Instead, BMW used a questionable design which uses an attached reservoir tank which is a hose is fed to leading to the heater core, which I already plumbed up in such a way that coolant flows through the heater core valve then back through the engine, not back into the radiator. I know, the whole thing is complicated and it had me drawing coolant routing diagrams trying to figure out the solution. (I'm very cool I know). So instead, I went in search of a new radiator online. I've had good experience with Mishimoto rads before, so I went on their website to check radiator sizes to adapt one to fit into an E36. I found that a 97-01 Honda Prelude radiator is near exactly the same size, but 0.5" thicker in core size. So I ordered that, attached an e-fan, filled it with coolant, bled it, and it worked like a charm. Leave it to Honda parts to save the day.

Here's the frame rail clearance on both sides, millimeters of clearance...

With that radiator in, bled, and circulating properly, it was time to work on the fun little finishing touches, or so I thought...

This relay connector was the source of my fuel pump not turning on with the ignition. Turns out, my super expensive "plug and play" wiring harness wasn't plug and play after all. I contacted the troubleshooting department of Wiring Specialties and started messaging back and forth the problems I've been having. A while later, we figured out they'd got the fuel pump wiring wrong. Turns our they had it set up for a +12v signal instead of ground signal to power the pump. So I reversed the blue wire and brown wire across from it, and spliced them together to get a solid ground connection to trigger the FP. Then after I did that, it fired right up no problem!

- Before you forum dudes say:
"omg never rev the car up right away"
"omfg your car is overheating look at the temp gauge"
"nice check engine light"

I had already had the car up to operating temperature during the video
temp gauge is off, running a seperate VDO gauge set anyway
check control light for low washer fluid and coolant level

Anyway, here's what it sounds like.

But there was still a lot of little things to do, like um, put the front end back on!

This was after modifying the intercooler piping to clear the headlights. I had to rotate my BOV to fit as well. Was surprisingly easy to mock up and finalize the intercooler. Sits between the frame rails and the radiator for the best support possible.

Another hurdle I faced was finding a suitable place for an air filter. There is no space to route it through to the front of the car without creating serious airflow restriction. I bought a 45 degree silicone bend to place a filter near where the ECU sits. (same location as BMW DME).

With my last build, I could've done the main wiring a little better. So, learning from my mistakes, I spent extra time to make sure I wouldn't have any sketchy connections. For all of my alternator to starter to +12v battery signal, I used 4ga wire with beefy terminals and hardware, then wrapped in suitable heatproof split-loom.

I then proceeded to make some questionable radiator mounts for my Honda Prelude radiator. Looks sturdy to me!

And here is the 99% finished pictures. I've driven the car 500+ miles and so far everything is all good. I look forward to racing, drifting, and bringing the car to meets. Hopefully it'll make BMW purists angry, and ACTUAL car guys who appreciate and see value in someone elses work, happy. Leave nothing stock.

Oh, and I got some new wheels.
For all you spec-stealers...
17x8 et20 front
17x9 et26 rear

I KNOW IT NEEDS MORE LOW, springs and TRM Camber arms are shipped

That's all for now, suspension mods and cleaning up the engine bay are coming. Plus a few other modifications of course. I'll leave your minds pondering.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM

AWESOME!!!! All put back together, it looks like a very clean install! A lot of hard work went into that, I'll bet you're glad she's back on the road.

Couple questions...
1. How come you took the hood insulation off? Too quiet?
2. What's that unused connector for on the throttle body, right by the throttle cable cam?
3. Is it my imagination or is one of the hood struts upside down?
4. Does it idle OK?
5. Any pics from under the car - tranny, drive shaft?
6. Do you have some sort of check valve on your brake booster vacuum line?

And then of course the one question we all want to know: HOW DOES IT DRIVE?? How much boost are you running right now?

Last edited by Dads98M3; 07-28-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Hellrot 328is
+1 awesome build
Old 07-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Warm Leatherette

Super awesome! And I love your wheel choice, too. I've been wanting to get those from the Z3 in 17x8.5 et41, but they're rare. The E39 version is everywhere, though, but the specs aren't as friendly.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 07-28-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
AWESOME!!!! All put back together, it looks like a very clean install! A lot of hard work went into that, I'll be you're glad she's back on the road.

Couple questions...
1. How come you took the hood insulation off? Too quiet?
The insulation was falling out where, at some point in it's life, the S50 fan flew off the engine and onto the hood. The insulation was ripped and was falling apart onto the engine.
2. What's that unused connector for on the throttle body, right by the throttle cable cam?
Traction control. Who needs it?
3. Is it my imagination or is one of the hood struts upside down?
That wasn't my doing, I actually noticed that too, probably why they are blown out...
4. Does it idle OK?
Idles perfectly, around 800rpm.
5. Any pics from under the car - tranny, drive shaft?
More to come - hard to get a good picture while lying on your back!
6. Do you have some sort of check valve on your brake booster vacuum line?
I do have a check valve in place.

And then of course the one question we all want to know: HOW DOES IT DRIVE?? How much boost are you running right now?
It drives great, it feels really natural actually. Nothing feels out of character (besides turbo whistle and BOV noises). It spins tires first through second and holds boost strong. Currently at 12psi. I had it up to around 16psi blasting through the I90 tunnels and hit boost cut. So the reasonable limit without a piggyback ECU is around 15psi. On the backroads, the boost pulls you out of corners so fast, it's insane. You definitely get some seat push on full boost. It's just a huge laugh and puts an even bigger smile on your face. It was totally worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericheath06 View Post
+1 awesome build
Thank you!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Super awesome! And I love your wheel choice, too. I've been wanting to get those from the Z3 in 17x8.5 et41, but they're rare. The E39 version is everywhere, though, but the specs aren't as friendly.
Thank you!
I love the dish of the E39 specs. Just right.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Former Supra owner here. This is a terrific build, I'm incredibly impressed. Looks like you did great work mechanically, and it looks beautiful, too.

Edit, forgot to mention, it's awesome to see the father/son thing with the cars!
// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 07-28-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Former Supra owner here. This is a terrific build, I'm incredibly impressed. Looks like you did great work mechanically, and it looks beautiful, too.

Edit, forgot to mention, it's awesome to see the father/son thing with the cars!
Thank you a bunch! It's all going really well so far, no issues to report. It's almost as if I knew what I was doing

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search