Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju_le_new View Post
these plugs doesnt worth it?
if you were asking whether the plugs are worth the money and effort or not, then the answer would be: NOT

go with the regular plugs (EK ending i think) and make sure your o2 sensor or sensors are ok (+the rest of the system)
adding a CAI will just make thing worse if you use it daily
Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Make your own Luck

Mein Auto: Lexus
Want to do a M50 conversion on my 98' can't find a good straight forward DIY..

1998 328i -SOLD- 06/06/2011

Handful of things I don't need Check it out:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=551778
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325is auto
ngk iridiums are belle of ball. work great unless u have sh.t coils. all pirates mods a+.
and dont hack saw cat back too obvious, just get the cat
Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
318iSteve

Mein Auto: 94 318i, 06 X3
Great Post

I've had some trouble looking for a carbon fiber strut brace that is designed for a 4cylinder engine. any help?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325i 4dr
There is no specific one for a 4 cylinder. The e36 body is the same weather its a 6 cylinder a hairdryer or an M

Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: e36 2.5i
there is a difference with asc tho
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Ya, the 4cylinder is the body as the 6 and m series. So you should be able to use any strut brace that was made for the E36.

Pirate, thanks for creating such a great threads for all E36 junkies.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: e36 m3
Thanks Pirate, great post. I'm about to add a few of these mods for some extra HP soon.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
The Dakar Dream

Mein Auto: bmw compact 2000 e36
Both above posts completely wrong- you will need one designed for a 4 pot- and as Vull said you will need a deifferent one if you have asc- AC Schnitzer do a CF one but it'll be pricey if you can find it!! Other than that really hard to find any that will fit let alone a Cf one!!
Altho iv just noticed you posted the question a while back so doesnt matter now anyways!!
18" MV Alloys. AC Schnitzer exhaust. CCFL Angel eyes. 6500K HID's. Rogue Engineering RSM's. EBC Turbo discs and Greenstuff Pads. Retro fit dimming mirror. M style indicator wing mirrors. Carbon Fibre GT splitter. Carbon kidneys grills. Alpine IDA-X001 Ipod headunit. M3 leather gaitors. M pedals. Illuminated M gearshift. Reiger rear spoiler. Shark fin.
www.forum.edirty6.com
Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
318iSteve

Mein Auto: 94 318i, 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Both above posts completely wrong- you will need one designed for a 4 pot- and as Vull said you will need a deifferent one if you have asc- AC Schnitzer do a CF one but it'll be pricey if you can find it!! Other than that really hard to find any that will fit let alone a Cf one!!
Altho iv just noticed you posted the question a while back so doesnt matter now anyways!!

Last edited by 318iSteve; 03-17-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i
New to the forum... Im glad to see at least some/one/a few of ya know what your talking about... Hope to see more of you guys and gal on this site.

If you really want more performance out of your car, Insulate your stock intake hose fully with some sort of heat shield or heat wrap,(Non flammable please!) same with the exhaust to keep engine temps down. Its not pretty but would work a lot better and be a lot cheaper. Also if your such a racing enthusiasts, run your car without any filter at all and change your oil a lot, otherwise dont bother with your "CAI". What your after is getting a greater charge and a colder charge of air. You should be looking to get a ram air effect on a colder charge in order to gain some performance. None of these "CAI Systems" seem to do that. I remember seeing on miata websites a good tutorial on a good cold air box with a ram air effect(its charging the air like a supercharger, just not as high PSI (Do I have your attention now?)). Also since im on the subject, the easiest way for more horsies for you guys with manual transmission is to lighten the flywheel. Its not the cheapest but its the easiest and is definetly not as much $$$ as putting a supercharger on your car. Its something to think about if your already paying a mechanic to work on your tranny or clutch, or if you are doing the work yourself. You can even get into carbon fiber drive shafts to save some weight.... Also try lifting up your car seats... very heavy... In regards to the iridiums, you guys are giving yourself a tune up and using the iridiums and saying woweee. You get that same feeling from using the normal plugs. Just because our e36's have 190 stock doesnt mean it currently has 190hp. Tune ups can do wonders. You really need to do an A/B comparison, or a dyno test if anyone really wants to yay or nay regular plugs... Anyone thanks for letting me rant ! Back to work !
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 735i
95 325 stereo unlock code?OOPS
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by .fortheNGUYEN View Post
Want to do a M50 conversion on my 98' can't find a good straight forward DIY..
Hey Tom did you check this out?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=544874

Also in your sig, you're is the correct spelling in you're an engineer....

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3(sold) 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5(sold)

-2000 F250 V10
-2004 GMC Yukon Denali

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328 convertable
Exclamation another good mod?

what about replacing the mechanical radiator fan with an electric?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
upgrade exhaust

can anyone help me i want to upgrade my exhaust and want to to sound good i have a 1996 328i 4dr can any one help with a really good and sounding exhaust ?????
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
dude..
http://tinyurl.com/yysrtsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 323is 1998 E36
Talking BMW Shark Injector Conforti Chip

BMW Shark Injector Conforti Chip E36 323i 328i 96-99
1996-1999 BMW 323is/ic 328i/is/ic. This is going for $299 is it worth it? It seems that a Dinan would be the best choice but is this a reasonable compromise? I love this thread and respect your time and tremendous effort! Thank you
Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525d m sport
Can I get something more out of my 316i or these mods are generally suited for bigger engines?
It's a 97 m43.
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW E36
Pete, great thread!

I loved your thread on mods, very well bro. I will share my list of mods I got so far

I have a 95 BMW 325i convertible, with hard top, I replaced the cray interior with all black 328i complete interior swap. I love black on black! My stupid ass little brother backed into it and I had to replace the front end. It was cheeper to do the M3 front then to get the stock front end. I had eye lids on it also but, lost one doing 130 mph on the way to Miami. I have a stage 2 Spec clutch with stock flywheel, Stage one cams with head job, turner motorsports chip, test pipes, and full cat back exhaust. H&R springs with K shocks, sway bars, steel braided lines everywhere! Short shifter, and new BBS wheels are so light! I have a remote start alarm, TV, playstaion, and 6*9 speakers. NEXT I WANT A LSD! I love the site and feel honored to be part of it, you all have beautiful cars that make feel warn inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	239380   Click image for larger version

Name:	b7.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	239381   Click image for larger version

Name:	b8.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	239382   Click image for larger version

Name:	b10.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	239383   Click image for larger version

Name:	b18.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	239384  

Name:	b29.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	239385   Click image for larger version

Name:	b23.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	239386   Click image for larger version

Name:	b13.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	239387   Click image for larger version

Name:	dd117.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	239388   Click image for larger version

Name:	4210 4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	239389  

Name:	MMS95Resized95Pix.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	239390   Click image for larger version

Name:	big wrench!.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	239391   Click image for larger version

Name:	My 3 series.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	239392   Click image for larger version

Name:	german tag.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	239393   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW RIMS1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	239394  

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW E36
I love the new BBS rims
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NEW RIMS2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	239395  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekman View Post
Also if your such a racing enthusiasts, run your car without any filter at all and change your oil a lot, otherwise dont bother with your "CAI". What your after is getting a greater charge and a colder charge of air. You should be looking to get a ram air effect on a colder charge in order to gain some performance. None of these "CAI Systems" seem to do that. I remember seeing on miata websites a good tutorial on a good cold air box with a ram air effect(its charging the air like a supercharger, just not as high PSI (Do I have your attention now?)). Also since im on the subject, the easiest way for more horsies for you guys with manual transmission is to lighten the flywheel. Its not the cheapest but its the easiest and is definetly not as much $$$ as putting a supercharger on your car. Its something to think about if your already paying a mechanic to work on your tranny or clutch, or if you are doing the work yourself. You can even get into carbon fiber drive shafts to save some weight
I'm not trying to poke a sleeping dog or to wake the dead. I realize this was posted a while ago but i really feel that this should be addressed as although i support much of what was said what i have quoted here i have a HUGE ISSUE WITH. I creep the forums whenever I'm not wrenching cars and have done plenty of work on plenty of cars (started with hondas learning the ins and outs of street tuning and getting every last hop i can out of a motor and eventually graduated to my favorite car yet my 93 325is) Easiest way to do this is bullet style.

Issue 1:"Also if your such a racing enthusiasts, run your car without any filter at all and change your oil a lot, otherwise dont bother with your "CAI"."

Why would you ever run a car without a filter!? Even the guys i know with dedicate track cars don't do this. I mean mabey once in a blue moon but gaining 1/2hp is not worth it period (and thats pretty much all you'll gain if even that much.) Chaningin your oil a lot... i see nothing wrong with that... And whats with the "" on the CAI they are COLD AIR INTAKES (either taking cold air from outside the engine bay or by using a heatsheild to lower the air temp) and not ram air intakes (which just take hot engine bay air into your intake causeing a loss in power.)

Issue 2:"You should be looking to get a ram air effect on a colder charge in order to gain some performance. None of these "CAI Systems" seem to do that."

Ram air although usefull in providing power by increasing air intake won't give you much of a gain. Don't forget that without something pushing it (and the supposed ram affect of most ram air is not strong enough) into the engine (or drawing it in) your not getting anything. Verses a cold air charge that has i a higher percentage of oxygen and thus allows you to burn more fuel which in turns gives you the ability to create more hp with proper engine tuning. Thus why a COLD AIR SYSTEM draw in a colder air charge from outside or uses a heat shield to prevent hot air from getting into your intake (why do you think we use intercoolers on our turbos? it ain't for looks bro.)

Issue 3:" I remember seeing on miata websites a good tutorial on a good cold air box with a ram air effect(its charging the air like a supercharger, just not as high PSI (Do I have your attention now?))."

Super chargers don't charge air many infact don't even take advantage of intercoolers to charge the air. All they do is force more air into your motor which allows you to add more fuel and more combustion thus allowing to produce higher hp. But unless you do extensive research on the aerodynamics and a lot of dyno tuning (or know a trusted company thats already done it) ram air is a useless waste of verbiage. and as for supercharges well i prefer turbos (personal preferences based off past experiences and concepts behind the techs [if you actually care to know why just hit me up])

Issue 4:" Also since im on the subject, the easiest way for more horsies for you guys with manual transmission is to lighten the flywheel. Its not the cheapest but its the easiest and is definetly not as much $$$ as putting a supercharger on your car."

Wrong just WRONG!!! you won't be creating any more hp NOT 1 HORSIE as you say. You will however possibly (depending on the quality and actual design and weight savings) have less of a loss in the transfer of your hp from your motor to your wheels (i herd somewhere and may be dead wrong about this that you tend to loose something like 15% at the flywheel on stock setups?) You'll also have better response due to it taking less time/effort for your engine to put that flywheel in motion. And lets face it even if you magically created some hp yea it will cost less then a forced air setup mabey 10x less but youd also get less hp something like 10x less $300 lw flywheel FEELING like 5hp increase $3000 entry level turbo/super charger (from a reputable company and not a garage peice together or ebay special) setup at the bare minimum 50hp CREATED do the math....

Issue 5:"You can even get into carbon fiber drive shafts to save some weight"

Ok so not really and issue but uh.... where can i get one? and btw how is this in the same catagory as anything else that was mentioned in the post this would have to be up near a entry turbo setup as far as price....

Again I'm not trying to be a dousche but that stuff was really urking me...
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Sometimes you gotta set the record straight. No harm in that.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 325i Sedan
U R on the $$$ klose. Sounds like someone has a whole bunch of mis-information. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

"the easiest way for more horsies ... is to lighten the flywheel"

Now that's funny!

As for running a street car with no air filter - not smart at all. Even worse of an idea if you are running a cold air intake or even a "ram air" intake. Just change your filter or clean out your stock airbox, drive around for a week and then open it up to see all the junk that is in there. You really want that stuff getting into your throttle body, intake manifold and combustion chamber? That sand and grit will chew up your cylinder walls like sandpaper over a short amount of time. Changing your oil frequently won't help. If you are finding that stuff in your oil, you're too late.

The most restrictive parts of the stock intake are the plastic piece that funnels air from the front fender to the airbox and the baffle inside the airbox. I have experienced just as good a gain by removing the baffle as I have in installing a CAI with heat sheild, as it will channel a decent amount of ambient air into the stock air box in a direct and efficient manner.

Ram air will theoretically increase the psi of the air coming in to some small degree at higher speeds if the intake is very efficient. Every bend, restriction, etc will work against you to reduce the effective usefull gains of a ram air system. So if you want to remove your headlight and place your filter there, you might see some marginal increase at 100 mph.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 93 325is
Gone2Plaid i agree completely with you on what you just said. Even the part about removing the plastic funnels from the fender to the air box (admittly i did it cause i bough my car for 1k with a smashed front end and when rebuilding saw no point in replacing the plastics [mainly cause i want a turbo fed itb setup])
Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325i Sedan
Klose, you're post was great as well. I'd hate to see someone who is really trying to learn about their car and about performance gains, pros and cons of certain mods, et cetera, read a post like Bekman's and do something that is based on mis-information.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but throwing out a bunch of jargon and junk that one doesn't fully understand could get ugly for someone who knows even less but might be trying to learn. I'm no engineer or mechanic, but cars are my passion. Before I do anything mod wise, I gather as much information as I can about the subject so that I can understand the benefits and drawbacks. 20 years of car ownership and maintenance on everything from Ford F-150s to Porsche 911s has taught me a lot - one of the most important things I've learned is that you can't just go around bolting on fart cans and 20" chrome rims and expect 100 hp gains. RTFM and get aquainted with your car, the service manuals, and usefull resources like this board before you go hacking your car to bits and making it a poser piece of $h!t.

My $0.02