Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: m6 cpe
500 miles

Just hit 500 miles. Car asked for some oil. I am breaking it in easy. I love the sound it makes when it starts up. I haven't been this excited about seat time in a car since my e30 m3. She was henna red and black. Got her brand new from my dad as an incentive to not travel away for school. He's a persuasive guy. I am going to start rebuilding my 74 tii this year. That car will make a nice mix of classic pure car with the ultra modern m6.
Take care.
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvagios View Post
Just hit 500 miles. Car asked for some oil. I am breaking it in easy. I love the sound it makes when it starts up. I haven't been this excited about seat time in a car since my e30 m3. She was henna red and black. Got her brand new from my dad as an incentive to not travel away for school. He's a persuasive guy. I am going to start rebuilding my 74 tii this year. That car will make a nice mix of classic pure car with the ultra modern m6.
Take care.
That's nice.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:59 PM
"Clunker" *****

Quote:
Take care.
Please disregard previous post. More oil at 500 miles? That's ridiculous. Why would anybody buy a car that needed more oil at 500 miles? I don't get it.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Please disregard previous post. More oil at 500 miles? That's ridiculous. Why would anybody buy a car that needed more oil at 500 miles? I don't get it.
Well, then, don't get it.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Parrothead/Car Nut

Mein Auto: CTT, M6, Smart 450 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
Well, then, don't get it.

dvagios, the rule of thumb with the M5/M6 is 0.1 liter per 100 miles of driving after your 1200 mile service.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: m6 cpe
reef, thanks for the advice. I put one quart of 10w60 and then checked the oil level and it registered back to normal. Malibu, thanks for having my back.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
reef, thanks for the advice. I put one quart of 10w60 and then checked the oil level and it registered back to normal. Malibu, thanks for having my back.
Actually, the high oil usage usually comes after spirited driving, which you have to wait to do on a new V-10. So you need to watch oil consumption very carefully. My M6 used about 0.7L (or Q) of oil for the first 1,150 miles. Then none for the next 1,500 miles. And now for the last 750 miles another 0.6L. I am driving it in a spirited fashion (high revs) all the time, so I don't know what it could be. I wait for the engine to warm up first, but it seems to vary all over the place. Maybe the electronic dipstick that comes with the M6 is wildly inaccurate. (I'm not sure if you have the same kind in the M5.)

Remember, this is an F1 engine that has been adapted to everyday use by BMW (which probably has its corporate fingers crossed that it has not made a bad bet on the engine's durability).

One thing you want to make sure you don't do is to overfill it with oil. That could lead to some real bad problems as the excess oil would froth up and then it would all turn terribly bad.

I plan to change my oil about 2 or 3 times more frequently than BMW intends to pay for.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
"Clunker" *****

Sorry for my sarcastic responses. Had no idea a Bimmer could use that much oil. Guess you guys are in another league.