Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
bpbenda bpbenda is offline
Registered User
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 71
Send a message via ICQ to bpbenda Send a message via AIM to bpbenda Send a message via MSN to bpbenda Send a message via Yahoo to bpbenda
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
2007 BMW X5 3.0i v. 2007 Mercedes ML350

Any thoughts regarding 2007 BMW X5 3.0i in comparison to 2007 Mercedes ML350? Has anyone else considered the Mercedes before buying the 2007 X5? I never really cared for the look of the ML350 until the back-end of the vehicle was reworked this year, looks less boxy. Equally equipped, the prices are about the same; not a big enough difference for price to be such. But I was really impressed with the ML350 in the 333 Sports (& Exterior Chrome with Running Boards) Package. On either vehicle, we will purchase the Navigation option. Personally, I did not care much for the Mercedes in this category, but it was not something that would kill me to have to live with on a daily basis. Just curious what others thought who considered the two?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
mgkaplan mgkaplan is offline
Registered User
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Do you have children?

Mercedes does not have childproof rear door locks.

BMW does!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Coffeeman's Avatar
Coffeeman Coffeeman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Towson, Md.
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 307
Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkaplan View Post
Do you have children?

Mercedes does not have childproof rear door locks.

BMW does!
Interesting observation...I've been complaining about this to MBUSA for 9 years. If you look at any U.S. spec Mercedes, the slot for the rear child proof locks are there, but they don't install the mechanism on U.S. spec vehicles. German M-B's do have them. Another example of cost cutting.
__________________
2008 ML320 CDI
2008 X3 3.0si
2005 X5 (retired)
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 AM
bpbenda bpbenda is offline
Registered User
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 71
Send a message via ICQ to bpbenda Send a message via AIM to bpbenda Send a message via MSN to bpbenda Send a message via Yahoo to bpbenda
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkaplan View Post
Do you have children?

Mercedes does not have childproof rear door locks.

BMW does!
No, I do not have children, but I do agree that it is an interesting observation. However, given our situation, this will not be a consideration. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
denaliman denaliman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: 2013 X6M
The interior of the MB is nice. Although I still prefer the BMW interior.The exterior looks like a van! IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,456
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Have you owned a MB before? If not, you really cannot appreciate how valuable BMM's 48,000 miles of FREE scheduled maintenance is! Ask your BMW salesman for the breakdown on what it will cost you in service expenses to own the MB instead of the X5 - even if the driving experience doesn't convince you, this will seal the deal.
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2007, 05:54 AM
2thdr 2thdr is offline
Registered User
Location: West Edmonton
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 01 540i/6
I have to agree with quackbury above. I was looking at a ML320 CDI versus teh X5 3.0si. I have owned several BMW and liek the product, but I was intrigued by the diesel, since I drive about 3000miles a month. BMWNA also seemed to be dragging their feet on getting the diesel engines over here.

Anyhow, the ML320/350's interior to me was quite nice. I have to say that in a pinch, I like it more than the E70's, but that is really more of a statment on Bangle's perversion of BMW interiors, than a statement on materials or fti and finish.

The price on the ML320 in Canada worked out to be more competitive than the X5, but the service costs for the MB quickly made the difference irrelevant. And to top it all off, the BMW simply handles better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Coffeeman's Avatar
Coffeeman Coffeeman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Towson, Md.
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 307
Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Have you owned a MB before? If not, you really cannot appreciate how valuable BMM's 48,000 miles of FREE scheduled maintenance is! Ask your BMW salesman for the breakdown on what it will cost you in service expenses to own the MB instead of the X5 - even if the driving experience doesn't convince you, this will seal the deal.
When I visited my dealer this week, they had a sign in the showroom window, with the Lexus logo on the left, and the BMW logo on the right. The text under the logos read:

"We have free coffee too, the difference is, that you won't choke on ours when you get your bill for BMW scheduled maintenance"

I thought it was pretty clever
__________________
2008 ML320 CDI
2008 X3 3.0si
2005 X5 (retired)
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 AM
XZLR8's Avatar
XZLR8 XZLR8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,262
Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
When I visited my dealer this week, they had a sign in the showroom window, with the Lexus logo on the left, and the BMW logo on the right. The text under the logos read:

"We have free coffee too, the difference is, that you won't choke on ours when you get your bill for BMW scheduled maintenance"

I thought it was pretty clever
My dealership has a comparison sign too, showing the difference in maintenance costs. It's interesting to see BMW really addressing the competition in some of these areas.

As to the original question, I think the MB interior is quite nice. But the handling difference and the exterior design helped me make the decision to stick with BMW. I agree that the exterior of the ML has been improved, but I still can't shake that minivan feeling from some angles.
__________________

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
rjkimbo rjkimbo is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: N/A
The interior of the ML is very nice (that is if you aren't ordering their "M-B Tex" vinyl seats). The new X5, if I am correct, has more cargo room than the MB.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
idoc idoc is offline
Registered User
Location: florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: mercedes
ML:
Pros:
1. nice interior
2. improved exterior
3. more comfortable rear seats (IMO)
Cons:
1. poor history on reliability
2. poor service department, they do not always show respect or courtesy (IMO, a
huge factor why I would not consider this vehicle)
3. no child safety option

BMW X5
Pros:
1. excellent handling
2. improved interior space
3. overall decent service department
4. better looking exterior than ML (IMO)
5. free service/maintenance
Cons:
1. 3.0 may not have adequate power on certain occassions but will take a lot of gas
to keep up with performance. Rec test driving 3.0 vs 4.8 and driving it hard.
2. first year model may be prone to unforseen issues and may not have all the
options availible to it yet
Take a look at the current Car & Driver mag for May. They compare some of the common SUVs. I'm waiting for the 2008 4.8. The wait is killing me, but I'm in no rush. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 AM
leeferna leeferna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: Mercedes ML500 & ML350
I currently have an 06 ML500 and 07 ML350. Looking to trade in the 500 for a 4.8 (or the ML550 when it comes out).

ML Pros:
- Nice interior. The leather is a little nicer, but the MB-Tex grips you better.
- Rear seat comfort is way better. I always thought the X5 and especially X3 were brutal in the back.
- Ride comfort is outstanding. With the 19" wheels, handling is very good.
- Reliability, knock on wood, has been very good with the new models. Neither one has any creaks or rattles and has only been to the dealer for oil changes, tire rotations, etc. I think, given the ML's past, Mercedes has really focused on improving this aspect.
- Looks are of course subjective, but I think the ML w/Sport Pkg looks better than any of the new X5s other than the 4.8 w/Sport and 20" rims. The new X5s seem to need the larger wheel sizes. Plus, there is too much black plastic.

ML Cons:
- New X5 interior is a little nicer because of the wood trim (more of it).
- I think the BMW leather is a little better than either the MB-Tex or MB leather.
- Even after over a year, the radio is still hard to use (but it sounds great).

Last edited by leeferna; 04-19-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2007, 12:29 PM
HG132's Avatar
HG132 HG132 is offline
Go Phillies!
Location: NJ--20 minutes from CBP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Mein Auto: 2014 X6 35i
My dad has an MB S550 a month old...in the shop today for a new command module. This car replaces a 2005 S500 with electrical problems that service could not figure out. He's had 5 MB in 7 years. He had 3 BMWs w/out any issues. The man is stubborn. Minus a sunroof problem upon delivery and a change of seasons gas issue...I've had no worries/no money spent. I will be at the dealership next week looking for my 07.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 PM
kimcork kimcork is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: wannabe X5 owner
I've never owned a car from either manufacturer, and spent a lot of time deciding between the ML320 CDI and the X5. Here is my personal list of pro's and cons

X5 Pros: Similar acceleration...until you go to sport mode (Sport SCOOTS!); better computer (navigation has lots more options, wx band would be very useful while traveling XC, user interface is very cool); better colors (I think dark green with tobacco would be AWESOME), 4 yrs free MX. I like the rails in cargo area, and hope BMW would add an internal bike rack accessory, like the X3. I also like the X5 exterior appearance better than the Mercedes, and I love the GIANT moonroof.
X5 Cons: gas mileage; initial cost (my research indicated BMW sale price would be close to MSRP and I could also save about 5K on the Mercedes based on my desired options); because I need a FLAT cargo area, I had to buy the totally unneeded third row (the second row does not fold flat when there is no third row--probably has a thicker cushion). BMW seats not as comfortable to me as the MB...but perfectly OK.

Both vehicles seem to have equal numbers of folks with bad and good experiences... mostly good. There have been transmission problems with the new 7 speed transmissions on the MBs, but they seem to have gotten those under control; a few people have totally lost power on the X5s...and there have been some other annoying electrical problems. For both, I think it's a few bad experiences and a large majority of good ones.

Tie breaker for me--run flat tires on the BMW w/no spare. Though run flat tires increase safety in impressive ways, they are expensive and don't last very long compared to high end all season tires...to me, this counters the benefits of 4 yrs free mx somewhat. In addition, I could never be certain, but it appeared that rim replacement is common if you drive on run flats for any distance. Because I needed the third row seats for a flat cargo area, I would not get a spare. I enjoy frequent weekend road trips and longer road trips once or twice a year, and know I would always be concerned about getting a flat and being stuck for 3 or 4 days while I waited for a fancy non-stock new tire.

My dealer could not allay my fears, so I went with the Benz. Ordered it yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2007, 07:07 AM
banffbimmer banffbimmer is offline
Registered User
Location: Banff
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 330xi saphire, terra,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcork View Post
I've never owned a car from either manufacturer, and spent a lot of time deciding between the ML320 CDI and the X5. Here is my personal list of pro's and cons

X5 Pros: Similar acceleration...until you go to sport mode (Sport SCOOTS!); better computer (navigation has lots more options, wx band would be very useful while traveling XC, user interface is very cool); better colors (I think dark green with tobacco would be AWESOME), 4 yrs free MX. I like the rails in cargo area, and hope BMW would add an internal bike rack accessory, like the X3. I also like the X5 exterior appearance better than the Mercedes, and I love the GIANT moonroof.
X5 Cons: gas mileage; initial cost (my research indicated BMW sale price would be close to MSRP and I could also save about 5K on the Mercedes based on my desired options); because I need a FLAT cargo area, I had to buy the totally unneeded third row (the second row does not fold flat when there is no third row--probably has a thicker cushion). BMW seats not as comfortable to me as the MB...but perfectly OK.

Both vehicles seem to have equal numbers of folks with bad and good experiences... mostly good. There have been transmission problems with the new 7 speed transmissions on the MBs, but they seem to have gotten those under control; a few people have totally lost power on the X5s...and there have been some other annoying electrical problems. For both, I think it's a few bad experiences and a large majority of good ones.

Tie breaker for me--run flat tires on the BMW w/no spare. Though run flat tires increase safety in impressive ways, they are expensive and don't last very long compared to high end all season tires...to me, this counters the benefits of 4 yrs free mx somewhat. In addition, I could never be certain, but it appeared that rim replacement is common if you drive on run flats for any distance. Because I needed the third row seats for a flat cargo area, I would not get a spare. I enjoy frequent weekend road trips and longer road trips once or twice a year, and know I would always be concerned about getting a flat and being stuck for 3 or 4 days while I waited for a fancy non-stock new tire.

My dealer could not allay my fears, so I went with the Benz. Ordered it yesterday.

Great points AND did you drive both before purchasing. I found the ride to be far superior with the X5.

Regardless..enjoy your new wheels....still a v nice veh!
__________________
330ix ED Jul 19/06 Saphire/Terra/Burl/Premium/Sport/Navi/Steptronic/Keyless

X5 4.8s Jul 07 Monaco Blue/Black/Sport/Nav/Premium/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 AM
kimcork kimcork is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: wannabe X5 owner
Thanks--I did drive both, and agree about the BMW ride being better!

But for the tire issue not fitting with my particular traveling needs, I would have bought the X5.

I'll get a BMW ... just not this time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Diver624 Diver624 is offline
Diver624
Location: Long Island, New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 397
Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
When I visited my dealer this week, they had a sign in the showroom window, with the Lexus logo on the left, and the BMW logo on the right. The text under the logos read:

"We have free coffee too, the difference is, that you won't choke on ours when you get your bill for BMW scheduled maintenance"

I thought it was pretty clever
Although it feels better to not pay for service we are paying for it in the price of the car.
__________________
2014 550ix Mineral White, Black
2013 X5 35i
Porsche 997 GT3
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten
.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
RKC RKC is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: X5, 911
Looked at the GL450 (not ML) and the X5. Chose the X5. Liked the size, interior, etc., and was afraid of horror stories about recent MB quality problems.

Needed the 3rd seat, so the ML wasn't on the list. ML is a pretty car though....
__________________
2007 X5 3.0
1987 Porsche 911 Targa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms