Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3 convertible
By the way, if yuo've ever driven an SMG, you would know that you CAN modulate the clutch (up to a certain point), but you still can. I can even make the engine rev while I'm switching gears.

Three pedals or two, we are talking about the transmission, it is not an automatic, it is a manual transmission, period.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I dont think this has been posted yet.. but you might want to check out this link regarding the new M-DCT...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-to-o...d-gearbox.html
Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
I dont think this has been posted yet.. but you might want to check out this link regarding the new M-DCT...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-to-o...d-gearbox.html
so it seems that SMG is out and DCT is in, thats good enough..7 gears they say.

7 gear manual, i like that one comment one dude makes. Funny!

"if you are stuck in traffic just put it in drive, when you get past traffic put in in manual, isnt that the piont. hey just imagine trying to drive an 8 speed stick, you would look like youre having convulsions your shifting so much.

Comment by CTS DRIVER, posted on May30 at 3:39 pm "
02 CB/Blk Lthr, Cold/Prem. Pkgs, HK, Xenon, Rev. Alert, SMGII, ACS comps, Hamann Comps, OEM Bar, Intros Aero Pol 19s 2-3 In.lips, w/275 Potenzas, Koni S, RMS, AA GEN3, SS Midpipes, DDE lights, LED Retrofit, Lthr Steering, OEM Sheepskins, Kewood Amateur 7000, XM 2, V1, GT2, Garmin 7200, Carputer-SONY T140 with Xenarc display, CSL splitters, ACS diffuser

BMW 2007 AW X3, prem and cold pkg.
Acura 2004 CG TSX
Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Richmond BMW - ABG

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 M3 w/M6 wheels
From what I've been reading Manual will be your only option for the first year, maybe 2.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: M & M
Oh, the never ending debate...

1. How did the word "automatic" become such a taboo? In case I recall, if F1 teams could, they probably would make their transmission automatic in a heartbeat. All the regulations were aimed at preventing F1 teams from using an auto transmission, and all the advancements to date toward clutchless, seamless, automated, semi manual are simply steps to push the envelope in order to contravene the regulations by having an auto without it being "technically" an auto. (See middle of this commentary for discussion of F1's "seamless" transmission, http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/38332/ )

2. After years of living with SMG and a stick on a daily basis at the same time, I've come to understand the similarities and differences between the two. Now, if anyone asks me what kind of transmission is the SMG, I'd tell them "It's an auto, but if you drive it like you would in a Camry, it would be very uncomfortable. If you drive it like you would in a stick, then you'll be happier. But to get from point A to B, you don't need to know how to drive a stick to operate this machine."

3. As many have noted, the failure of SMG is not one of technology (I love this technology) but rather one of marketing and not understanding the audience it is being marketed to. In Europe, where everyone grew up with a stick, SMG is a welcomed relief because it retains most of the benefits of a manual while being easy on the left foot. Europeans didn't bitch about it because they drove it like how they normally drive (in a stick) and have no problems operating it smoothly.

In contrast, Americans are sharply divided into 2 camps, and the majority of both ended up hating the SMG. The auto-is-all-we-know crowd (~ 90%) treats SMG as simply another auto that should require no more than smashing the gas pedal and brake. By not being gentle on the gas inputs (lift on upshifts, blip on down) they are being rewarded with bucking bronco syndrom and the like. They hated it and call it a bad auto. On the other side of the same coin, the God-created-3-pedals crowd (~10%) automatically dismisses anything without a 3rd pedal as not involving, not having control, etc. when most rarely ever tried out the technology for more than 10 minutes. As others have pointed out, you can do everything you could in an SMG as you would in a stick, but these so-called "enthusiasts" would not let facts stand in the way of preconceived bias? Thus, many of these "enthusisats" railed against the SMG as well.

[As an aside, I also ran into a small minority who even consider current 3-pedal manual transmissions as automatics as well. To them, having the synchomesh do all the dirty work is no different from a torque converter. For these selected few, current sticks are for girly-men. Real men drive unsynchonized transmission, with double clutch as mandatory, not optional.]

4. Me personally, I don't have to have 3 pedals, but I don't care much for the current autos on the market, but only because they are not good enough automatics. Most autos don't hold a gear, most downshift too late (or not at all), and most end up being in the wrong gear all the time. Frustration begins to mount when you have to operate these. If they can make a great automatic, then I'm all ears. Which leads me to ...

And that's why after I test drove the Audi's DSG, I think this is the future of transmissions. It is much smoother than many autos I experienced with. It also does things that a manual can do well. (It does have its hiccups and room for improvement, but that's another subject.) In short, it is the ideal "automatic" that I am talking about, and a much better auto than all of the automatics on the market.

5. For now, I'm taking turns enjoying the differences and similarities between the SMG and the stick. Mondays, Weds, Fris, & Suns in a 5-speed Miata, Tues, Thurs, and Sats in an SMG M3. Perhaps, the next purchase will be a station wagon or minivan with the perfect auto - DSG/DCT.

Here's hoping that the new M3 will have all 3 transmission choices: old-fashioned 3 pedals, semi-auto SMG III, and perfect-auto DSG/DCT. (Slushboxes need not apply.)

[Question for 3-pedals-loving "enthusiasts": If I leave a Vetted Z06 in 5th gear, and it won't stall after releasing the clucth, I can go from 0 mph to approx. 170 mph without ever touch the clutch or shifter again. Note, this is no different from moving a lever in an auto from P to D. Is it an automatic now?]

Last edited by TeeKay; 06-27-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Well thought-out response.

To answer your final question; no it is still a manual transmission (even with only one forward speed) because you still have to engage and disengage the drivetrain manually (or more precisely, pedally) by using the foot-operated clutch or else the engine wll stall when at a stop.

BTW, what is a "Vetted Z06"? I assumed you meant a Z06 'Vette, but I'm not entirely sure.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: M & M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger View Post
Well thought-out response.

To answer your final question; no it is still a manual transmission (even with only one forward speed) because you still have to engage and disengage the drivetrain manually (or more precisely, pedally) by using the foot-operated clutch or else the engine wll stall when at a stop.

BTW, what is a "Vetted Z06"? I assumed you meant a Z06 'Vette, but I'm not entirely sure.

I meant a Z06 Corvette. Typing is still a challenge for me, but not shifting ... no siree ... never! Apparently, I hear that it is impossible to stall this engine, even in 5th gear at a stand still.