Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Ex-Neighbor to the American Taliban

Mein Auto: nothing
Easy to put a M3 engine in four doors?

Just wondering. The January Roundel magazine has an article of a 2002 with a E30 M3. I also remember reading articles of M3 conversions dealing with E36 318tis, but the car has to be up to the 1995 model year because of OBII issues.

I was wondering how easy would be to put the current M3 engine in a E46 four doors? I am sure that sooner or later there is going to be a wreck M3 somewhere with a donor engine. I assume the OBII is an issue.

Any opinions?
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2002, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to gundamzaku
Mein Auto: 1992 325i
Talking i think....

i believe the arrangement under the hood might need a little rearrangement and you might need to replace the engine mounts as well as some hoses and stuff like that. however, i am not 100% sure that you need to replace components.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:21 AM
"FT"

Mein Auto: 645/987-120
It certainly can be done, but you would be paying a lot for it. The cost of doing it would be more than buying an M3. Granted you already have your e46, thus its a moot issue.

The engine bay would need some modifications, enlargements. Most major components would have to be changed as well; primarily the throttle body, the transmission, suspension. Considering all of that it probably is not worth going through the trouble. You would be better off selling your car and buying an M3.

However, a better option might be to do some modifications to the engine. A supercharger or a turbocharger. There are modifications out there in which you can exchange your engine for a 4 litre V8 (the 540 engine) or a new conversion is on the way to put it the new X5 4.6si engine in a 3er. Those all will cost less than putting an M3 engine. First, the 540 engine will not require enlargement and no tranny change; adjustments? yes.

The worst part of all of this is that even though the mods may make the car "better" unfortunately the resale value goes down. I think, selling existing car and buying what you really want is a better option.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:29 AM
Ex-Neighbor to the American Taliban

Mein Auto: nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingToaster

There are modifications out there in which you can exchange your engine for a 4 litre V8 (the 540 engine) or a new conversion is on the way to put it the new X5 4.6si engine in a 3er. Those all will cost less than putting an M3 engine. First, the 540 engine will not require enlargement and no tranny change; adjustments? yes.
Good luck.
Thanks for the information. I am not seriously thinking of doing this. It was just an idea in my head after hearing complains that BMWNA won't do a four doors M3. I did not realize that it was easier to do a V8.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:31 AM
"FT"

Mein Auto: 645/987-120
Well, if four doors is important to you, I would highly recommend the 540. It is a very sweet car, I do not know if you test drove it.

The 540 is quite powerful, more interior room in terms of shoulders and hips The car actually does not feel as big as it looks from the outside, which is a plus for me. Power delivery is very smooth and strong. The V8 in that package makes a big difference. But you have to have the sport package. At about the price of an M3 it is a good choice. That is why I think BMW is not thinking of a 4-door M3.

For conversions, you might check Novak, MST Weismann, and one other I cannot recall right now. I do not believe Dinan does such conversions.