Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Koni FSD technology

Some of you may be interested to know that the McLaren F1 team is running Koni FSD dampers on their car.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 98 BMW 540i-6speed
Are they saying that they are getting a smoother ride on their F1 car?
Dinan Stage-1 software, Dinan clutch, Dinan short throw shifter, CDV delete, Bosch Design III injectors,
Dice I-pod kit,
Hawk ceramic brake pads....

2001 BMW M5
Silverstone on Caramel
All stock.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Naturally Aspired User

Send a message via AIM to Aristo E39 Send a message via Skype™ to Aristo E39
Mein Auto: 525i
really? ...i have seen that kit with the Eibach sport springs for the E39 priced around $900~
Sterling Grey/Black
M Sport Steering Wheel
Sport Wheels
Sport Seats
Business CD/AM/FM
Koni FSDs with Eibach Springs
Upgrade Angel Eyes
Extra set of 19" black mesh with stainless lip
Spare stock Tire/Wheel
Intake Filter
Wood Trim
Automatic
Xenon Lights
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltone74 View Post
Are they saying that they are getting a smoother ride on their F1 car?
Cute.

Hardly, the ride in an F1 car is pretty brutal actually with sudden 4g loads L, R and when braking.

I forget who it was that said the auto shift in the 7 speed trannies was almost too hard on his back. That on each up shift it drove the seat into his back.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Cute.

Hardly, the ride in an F1 car is pretty brutal actually with sudden 4g loads L, R and when braking.

I forget who it was that said the auto shift in the 7 speed trannies was almost too hard on his back. That on each up shift it drove the seat into his back.

I am amazed at how those guys can even control their cars... with the heavy vibration, steering wheel shake, brutal shifts, G loads, virtually solid suspension, etc..
Dinan Stage-1 software, Dinan clutch, Dinan short throw shifter, CDV delete, Bosch Design III injectors,
Dice I-pod kit,

2001 BMW M5
Silverstone on Caramel
All stock.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
E30 Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to kishg
Mein Auto: too many bmws
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
david coultard.. then again he's getting on..
'91 SpecE30 #523
'03 540i/6 M-Sport
'00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle
BMWCCA #360858 NASA #
My Track Schedule
Old 05-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540 IA
cool .. i have an F1 suspension in my car .. !

1998 Arctic Silver, OEM M-Tech Bumpers, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit, MKII Motorsport 18x8.5 and 18x10, M5 Style Mirrors, ACS Style Trunk and Roof Spoiler, OEM Hella 4300k Headlights, Slim HID 3K Fogs, Euro Hella Celis Taillights, OEM M5 Kidney Grill, 35% tint, Magnaflow 14815
Old 05-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i

1999 Black on Black 528i Sports/Premium | Style 5 Rims | DJ Auto Angle Eyes w/HID | V1 for protection
RIP: 1997 Montreal Blue 540i | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro Kit | M style grill | Umnitza P39's & Clear Tails | K&N Air Filter
BMWCCA #152100
Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I am amazed at how those guys can even control their cars... with the heavy vibration, steering wheel shake, brutal shifts, G loads, virtually solid suspension, etc..
Don't forget the firesuits when its a 100+ F outside and hotter than that in the car.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:

well they do it for a living .. now ask them to do you job .. probable thinking .. how does he do it!

1998 Arctic Silver, OEM M-Tech Bumpers, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit, MKII Motorsport 18x8.5 and 18x10, M5 Style Mirrors, ACS Style Trunk and Roof Spoiler, OEM Hella 4300k Headlights, Slim HID 3K Fogs, Euro Hella Celis Taillights, OEM M5 Kidney Grill, 35% tint, Magnaflow 14815
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptom540 View Post
well they do it for a living .. now ask them to do you job .. probable thinking .. how does he do it!
Yes, how do we do it? How can we sit in those dull grey boxes called cubicles all day.
Dice I-pod kit,

2001 BMW M5
Silverstone on Caramel
All stock.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, how do we do it? How can we sit in those dull grey boxes called cubicles all day.
and some of us got to wear that suit and tie .. man we are good!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Right from Koni

I contacted Koni and asked them to respond to statements that were being made about FSDs over at the other forum. Below is a copy of the entire reply that was posted by Lee Grimes of Koni. So this is straight from Koni. Lee happened to be a prior Bimmer owner so it all worked out very nicely.

Some of you may want to copy it to other forums that are or have been discussing FSD technology.

Enjoy the read.

Member Join Date: Jun 2003
Cars: Thinning the automotive herd (down to 6)

Hello all, I thought I might step in for a moment to help clear up a little info on the FSD system if people are interested. I work for KONI North America and am familiar with how FSD works, feels and how it is positioned in the market. Unfortunately I had sold my E39 540i6 the very week of that FSD was kicked off in Europe so I did not get a chance to try them on that specific car. I have driven about a dozen cars with FSD on the street and track and work as part of the North American ride development and testing group for KONI FSD and Sport dampers.

A little history first. Traditionally with performance dampers you are going to have some compromise between performance handling control and with ride comfort. To get one, you are going to sacrifice some of the other. Solving that is the primary goal of a number of electronic active damping systems that have been developed in the last few years. Systems like the magnetic MR system used in some Corvettes, a system designed by the audio company Bose and a few others have been developed. KONI was a pioneer in the mid-'90s with an electronic system called CVD (Continuously Variable Damping) that was really neat but extremely expensive to manufacture. From that point and while other companies continued with electronic systems, KONI began working on a mechanical system to solve the ride vs. handling issue in a less expensive way that does not require wiring to be manufactured into a car, thus allowing aftermarket fitments. After many years of development, that system is the patented FSD (Frequency Selective Damping). Released about two years ago, it is our biggest growth segment and leading R&D focus.

A full technical discussion would take too much time for here but in a nutshell the FSD not only changes forces based on the velocity of the shock piston which is the traditional measure for valving, but it also discriminates based on the frequency of the piston motion or energy transmitted up from the road. It is easier for many to think of frequency as the time or duration of the energy or impact that causes the motion. FSD is a all mechanical, non-electronic system that does not store data or "learn" but instead it acts more like a timer or filter to eliminate or reduce the role of high frequency energies or impacts that come up from the road surface that are so quick but short in duration that they come and go too fast for the suspension to be able to or need to react. These high frequency energies come and go too fast for the car to need to deal with them for handling but do transmit harshness, vibrations and often rattles into the cabin of the car that people feel and hear. Anyone who has installed some stiffer sidewall low profile or run-flat tires, stiffer suspension bushings, stiffer springs, etc. and noticed a degradation in ride quality from more sharp impacts being transmitted through the car has felt the high frequency stuff that I am talking about. If you think of the FSD system as a valve or gate that is open until it closes at a predetermines duration for each application, then it can filter out the really short, high frequency energies that would only be transferred otherwise into the car as ride harshness and noise. Once the FSD valve does close for energies that last long enough, then the oil flow travels through the KONi psiton valving like it might on a traditional shock. In many cases now that the high frequency inputs have been filtered out, the shocks can make potentially quite a bit more damping force than they might have in any shock that has the ride vs. handling compromises. Is FSD the answer to all damping questions? No, that is why we still make the KONI Sport, Special and other product lines. But for drivers who want to improve handling and comfort at the same time then FSD is a very good option.

As mentioned above, KONI has partnered with McLaren F1 to use and further develop the FSD technology. I know that they were contacted by many other F1 teams about FSD but the McLaren deal is exclusive. In the US, we have already been contacted by the highest level NASCAR, IRL, ALMS, etc. teams and some race sanctioning bodies to work with them with FSD. These racers don't care about the ride quality but the filtering out of unneeded high frequency inputs through a tire carcass will help optimize the tire's grip potential and stabilize the contact patch. That is the motorsports gain, even at the autocross level.

FSD has nothing to do with digressive valving curves (which KONI does use in almost all situations but that is another story), it is something totally different that occurs in the shock and no other company has found a mechanical system to do that. That is why it is patented and many racers and auto manufacturers are knocking on the door. FSD was first used in production on the Lamborghini Gallardo and was added to the Murcielago. McLaren uses it on the SLR and it is under study or consideration by many large European, Asian and US car manufacturers. The first car manufacturer in the US to offer an FSD performance package will show up soon. FSD is not just marketing spin, it is real and it really works and is catching a lot of respect and interest. FSD is making real headway in the RV/motorhome industry where the big vehicles need an emphasis on control but don't want a bad ride with rattling dishes and cabinets from a harsh shock absorber. FSD makes RVs smoother, quieter and better handling.

This post is longer than my original intention, for that I apologize. If you have further interest or need info, please contact me or the KONI NA staff at info@koni-na.com. Thanks for the chance to clear the air a bit.

Lee Grimes
KONI North America
Automotive & Motorsports Manager

Sold my M3, sold my 540i6
Bummin' without a Bimmer
but I promise myself its only temporary

Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i
I found what he had to say quite interesting, and not only because I just installed the FSDs in my car. I used to work at an RV dealership, and I've installed more Bilsteins on RVs than I can count, as that was THE shock to upgrade to, so I am curious to see if Koni can take some business away from Bilstein with an RV version of the FSD.

Chris
Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Hmm -- makes me want to go get a set of FSDs.

I actually had them on order at one time but cancelled simply because the lead time was too long and I really needed new shocks since my stock ones were down to nothing.

I think I might try again.
Dice I-pod kit,

2001 BMW M5
Silverstone on Caramel
All stock.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i
I ordered mine in January from suspensiononline.com, at that time they took about 3 weeks.

1999 Black on Black 528i Sports/Premium | Style 5 Rims | DJ Auto Angle Eyes w/HID | V1 for protection
RIP: 1997 Montreal Blue 540i | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro Kit | M style grill | Umnitza P39's & Clear Tails | K&N Air Filter
BMWCCA #152100
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002_530i View Post
I am curious to see if Koni can take some business away from Bilstein with an RV version of the FSD. Chris
I'm sure Koni will be taking a lot of business away with FSD at all the different levels. Koni's main task now will be to keep up with the orders and sell as much as they can before their patent expires.

Good for Koni even though I was a Bilstein advocate for many years.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 PM

I must admit I love the FSD and Eibach Pro Kit package .. you don't loss the quality of the sport ride,plus the car is lowered but you gain the handling when you need it .. the best upgrade mod that i have done on the car .. my next mod .. eibach sway bar kit .. !!!

btw, i bought mine on bimmerforum's group by with SPP, Eric .. I believe he is selling them around $840 or slightly lower not including shipping .. shipping will vary but does not exceed more than $50 ...

Dan aka Chivas helped me installed them .. Dan is the man !

Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: Sold 00 528iT, 06 Mazda6
I'll be upgrading shocks in the next year or so and have been a Bilstein fan as much for their performance as for their reliability...which is always at least 100K.

In the case of the FSD, they are pricey and their reliability long term is unknown. If they do last a long time, then it sounds like they will be a great shock. It's a bit early to tell at this point.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
E30 Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to kishg
Mein Auto: too many bmws
if i ever keep the 540 until it needs replacement shocks (just passed 30k mark), i'll get the koni fsd's.
'91 SpecE30 #523
'03 540i/6 M-Sport
'00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle
BMWCCA #360858 NASA #
My Track Schedule
Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruce View Post
I'll be upgrading shocks in the next year or so and have been a Bilstein fan as much for their performance as for their reliability...which is always at least 100K.

In the case of the FSD, they are pricey and their reliability long term is unknown. If they do last a long time, then it sounds like they will be a great shock. It's a bit early to tell at this point.
I hear ya what you are saying .. i think Koni has the reliability in their other products .. i wouldn't see why it would hold the same for the FSD's.

We will wait and see

Old 05-22-2007, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: Sold 00 528iT, 06 Mazda6
Quote:
I hear ya what you are saying .. i think Koni has the reliability in their other products .. i wouldn't see why it would hold the same for the FSD's.

We will wait and see
I used to own a Miata and as a group, the forum I was a member of was knowledgeable on suspension upgrades and just about replacing everything on the car. The car is tiny and cheap and a few bucks here and there and can make a huge difference.

In the case of suspension, the Bilstein, Koni and AGX debate goes on over and over. One thing that has popped on the board often is Koni shocks that have failed. One member lost 3 sets. This may or may not indicate an issue across their product line.

One thing that never comes up is a bad Bilstein. AGX is also considered reliable....not even sure they make a E39 shock.

Only time will tell.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
I must admit I love the FSD and Eibach Pro Kit package .. you don't loss the quality of the sport ride,plus the car is lowered but you gain the handling when you need it .. the best upgrade mod that i have done on the car .. my next mod .. eibach sway bar kit .. !!!

btw, i bought mine on bimmerforum's group by with SPP, Eric .. I believe he is selling them around $840 or slightly lower not including shipping .. shipping will vary but does not exceed more than $50 ...

Dan aka Chivas helped me installed them .. Dan is the man !
yeah... wish i could spring for the FSD's but the Bilstein deal on BavAuto was too good to pass up.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 AM

Bilsteins do have a good reputation. I put about 140-150K miles on a set on a prior BMW, E21, when I sold it. They were still in good shape.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2000-528ia
Interesting info. Did Koni split ways with Ferrari? They were OEM and the usual choice of Ferrari race teams for years.