Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 BMW 540i-6speed
Go with FSDs or upgrade sway bars

Hi all:

I currently have the Koni sport shocks with Dinan springs and stock 540i sport sway bars.

I was wondering whether I should stick with the shocks and upgrade the sway bars, or keep the sway bars the same and go with Koni FSDs.

I must admit, I have a fairly decent ride quality setup with my Konis, but the tradeoff is that the car seems unsettled on rapid transitions, or sort of "wavy" road surfaces.

I was thinking that as the car temporarily pitches to the left or right, that could be reduced with bigger sway bars. But on the other hand, i think a shock with a bit more low speed damping could accomplish the same thing without adding to much extra harshness on the harder bumps.

I was thinking with FSDs, i might get both the better body control and ride quality, while the sway bars would reduce some of the body roll. But I would like to cut down on the acceleration squat, and sway bars won't really help with that.

The labor seems comparable in doing a sway bar upgrade vs. changing the shocks.

I don't want to do just a rear sway bar upgrade, because my balance is already pretty good. It would have to be both front and rear sways.

But in the really long sweepers, I think the sway bars would be more effective, while better shocks would work better in the transient motions where the car otherwise gets a little unsettled for a second or two before stabilizing.

Or should I really just do both a shock and sway bar upgrade?

Hmm -- decisions, decisions.
Dinan Stage-1 software, Dinan clutch, Dinan short throw shifter, CDV delete, Bosch Design III injectors,
Dice I-pod kit,
Hawk ceramic brake pads....

2001 BMW M5
Silverstone on Caramel
All stock.
Ads by Google
Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: new york metro area
Save yourself the headache of trying to figure out which one to get and get both upgrades. Weather you go with sways or fsd's first i promise you in due time you'll get the other one. So start saving.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 98 BMW 540i-6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540ig5 View Post
Save yourself the headache of trying to figure out which one to get and get both upgrades. Weather you go with sways or fsd's first i promise you in due time you'll get the other one. So start saving.
Well, yes. I think that is really the answer. But it won't end there. Because once I do the shocks and sway bars, then I'll find some reason to need bigger wheels too.

Oh why must the mod bug have bitten me so deeply ??
Dinan Stage-1 software, Dinan clutch, Dinan short throw shifter, CDV delete, Bosch Design III injectors,
Dice I-pod kit,
Hawk ceramic brake pads....

2001 BMW M5
Silverstone on Caramel
All stock.