BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wheel and Tire warranty

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  mclaren 
#1 ·
What is a good price for the wheel and tire warranty? Do different dealers have different prices? I will be picking up my 335i in about a week or 2 and would like to know what's a good price to negotiate the warranty for (if it's negotiable).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do they have different pricing for different regions? I live in NJ, btw.

Thanks again.

#2 ·
I have always thought wheel/tire warranty was just extra padding for the dealer, but on my Cayman with expensive non-runflat tires and pricey OEM rims, I thought it was worth looking into. I paid $600 for 5 years coverage and have already had one tire at $315 replaced 100% under it. A couple more like that and it will have paid for itself. I was first told $750 and when I balked $150 disappeared immediately so I would imagine the F and I guy has lots of leeway in pricing.

#3 ·
the price of wheel and tire insurance will vary by dealer and by region. in addition it also varies by car manufacturer and by what type of tires you are ensuring. run flats are always expensive, so the warranty will have higher prices, but the warranty on these tires also yields great benefits. The main item is that run-flats should not be plugged and the warranty makes sure you are always running on safe tires (ie not plugged run-flats). the price varies also by the company providing the service. we use the R.O.A.D. InTire warranty and for a E90-E93 3-series the pricing is either 599 for 3 years or 699 for 5 years. it is a great program and well worth it.

#5 ·
nope...those are the prices. when i sold it to my mother in law for her 330i lease it was 599-3 years.

#8 ·
And you can get pretty good coverage from theautoclub.com for $2.50 per month. I highly recommend this option - it's 60 $ for 2 years.

#9 ·
This topic has been discussed before. My rule is don't buy insurance for a relatively minor possible but unlikely cost. Insurance is to protect you from a devastating event that would change your life. In other words in cases like this be your own insurance company. In the long run, unless you are the unluckiest person on earth, you will come out way ahead not buying computer warranties, appliance warranties, tire and wheel insurance etc. With all due respect to car dealers they want to sell this.

#12 ·
All it takes is one runflat or wheel and I've pretty much covered the cost. I tend to get a flat tire at least every other year.

If you have regular tires and don't have the sport package where you have such low profile tires not protecting the wheels I wouldn't get it.

#14 ·
We paid $499 for a five year policy for Mrs. W's new 07 X3.

I had two flats on the E46, and both would have been covered :( but I did not take it on that car in '03, so I had to buy two new PS2's...

Also, given it's her car, she needs to be able to point at the car and say "fix it" when I'm on travel, so we opted for this program (declined all the other, ah, opportunities we were offered by the F&I guy.)

#18 ·
#20 ·
As your linked article says these warranties are a waste of money which I and others have pointed out numerous times. BMW buyers, especially the ones who read bimmerfest.com, are knowledgeable consumers so why do they buy these and fight for every last nickel in the deal ? It's crazy and speaks to some sort of psychological phenomena. :)

#19 ·
I totally agree with that article, but when you are talking about $400 tires and $400 wheels the $445 is not really that much. One nice pothole and you are way ahead. The way the roads are around here I'll spend the $445 myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.