Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
tail light warnings in dash

I have a 1997 528i and I'm having some problems with the lights. When I put the car in the start position everything comes up as normal. Then the car picture or light comes up, but the little lights that come up on the back (still in the dash) indicating that the bulbs in the back need to be changed or something like that are still there. So I checked the blinkers, lights, and brake lights and the problem is the brake lights. I changed the bulbs and the light symbol on the dash still does not go away. Can anybody help me???

The clear bulb and the one next to it are both good bulbs. suggestions anyone?

Are the clear lights supposed to light up when the brakes are pressed or are the clear lights just the reverse lights?

Does anybody know a way to reset it? or am i just going to have to take it to a stealer?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and give some more info

In the meantime any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Ads by Google
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
ASC OFF

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by odacity509 View Post
I have a 1997 528i and I'm having some problems with the lights. When I put the car in the start position everything comes up as normal. Then the car picture or light comes up, but the little lights that come up on the back (still in the dash) indicating that the bulbs in the back need to be changed or something like that are still there. So I checked the blinkers, lights, and brake lights and the problem is the brake lights. I changed the bulbs and the light symbol on the dash still does not go away. Can anybody help me???

The clear bulb and the one next to it are both good bulbs. suggestions anyone?

Are the clear lights supposed to light up when the brakes are pressed or are the clear lights just the reverse lights?

Does anybody know a way to reset it? or am i just going to have to take it to a stealer?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and give some more info

In the meantime any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
wiggle the bulb around a little

This is with the NAWZ
Old 05-18-2007, 03:29 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
Chmsl?
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

It's most likely the third tail light in the center. I had the same problem. Open the trunk look up inside at the rear deck, you'll notice a little black square. Pry that off and twist the bulb holder out.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
You may also want to look for corrosion around the bulb sockets, I have seen a few posts where the metal tabs that contact the bulb are rusting.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: RB20 S13/ 1997 540i/6
what can you do in case of corrosion. Ive replaced my third tail light many times now and its still showing up.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 AM

If you have rust anywhere on the contacts, rub them down with rust remover or take some light sand paper and scuff them up a bit. you should be set. I wish the display would actually tell specifically which light it is out. I have a 98 528, perhaps later models do that and I'm just naive.

Last edited by 2slow4u; 05-18-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Yup, it's the middle brake light. I've replaced the bulb and it still shows up. I checked the connections but none of them look rusted. I read some posts about the bulb being brass so I got some stainless steel bulbs but the light still shows up. I thought it might not be making contact so I stripped some speaker wire and inserted it between the bulb and the metal thingy. I turned the key to the off position then back on and the light went away. The light went away for about ten minutes then it came back on. So I took the speaker wire off about 15 minutes later because the light didn't turn on and it still felt a little warm. I didn't want short circuit my car. So I am stuck in the same position I was, warning light still comes up even with a new bulb.

Suggestions??? Please....