Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: m5
2006 M5 SMG and I-DRIVE

I got an 06 M5 SMG about two months ago. This is my fourth Bimmer. I had an 00 M5 (dinanized) before this. Loved it...

Complaints about SMG..... sour grapes.... its just learing something new.
Although my left foot is flopping around with nothing to do, I still need to be in touch with the rpms to shift (I find about 5k is about right for nice crisp shifts). The other day I read a review where someone was upset that they had to "re-set" the shift sequences every time they got into the car. That's three buttons.. Power, DSC off, three clicks on the shift button to get to the quickest (that little football shaped thing near the I-Drive).
Come on... how lazy can you get........ why not just have a chauffeur if you want to do nothing........ From an old pilot... consider it a "start up/taxi" checklist. really!!!

I-Drive. Im not great with computers, but it took me about a week to get in the groove. And, now I'm just fine with it. Actually, I enjoy it. Im good with the Nav. Im good with the entertainment (love the satellite). Im getting there with the phone (although my Treo 650 is not fully functional in the car). Learning the rest.... Its not tough people. Why not just get a 65 chevy with a push-button radio and three levers for the heater???? Old dogs and new tricks. Stop whining (those of you who are) and enjoy the car... its just a kick in the pants. ........

JW
Ads by Google
Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Acct Closed

Mein Auto:
Great Post!!

I am a three pedal diehard but SMG systems are no slouches either. The critics always have something to say about everything but they probably have never shifted any of the SMG systems at 8000+ rpm on S6.

I was getting a three pedal M5 but when I found out they put all the electronic nannies on it and it was limited( no, DSC Off), got the SMG.

I also have a SMG M3 so I am used to it but still like three pedals. The only heartburn I have about SMG is I wish the paddles were not attached to the wheel, so when your are in some serious twisties they are stationary on the wheel stock and easy to find. I am used to it now but it took some getting used to when cornering hard.

I will be getting the V8 M3 three pedal but if they do the same crap they did with the M5, I will wait for the SMG. Maybe, like they did now with the three pedal M5 an upgrade to the software to take off the electronic nannies that limit the power thru the transmission to the wheels.

We will see.

Nice ride, have fun with the 500hp and SMG!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by linroo View Post
I got an 06 M5 SMG about two months ago. This is my fourth Bimmer. I had an 00 M5 (dinanized) before this. Loved it...

Complaints about SMG..... sour grapes.... its just learing something new.
Although my left foot is flopping around with nothing to do, I still need to be in touch with the rpms to shift (I find about 5k is about right for nice crisp shifts). The other day I read a review where someone was upset that they had to "re-set" the shift sequences every time they got into the car. That's three buttons.. Power, DSC off, three clicks on the shift button to get to the quickest (that little football shaped thing near the I-Drive).
Come on... how lazy can you get........ why not just have a chauffeur if you want to do nothing........ From an old pilot... consider it a "start up/taxi" checklist. really!!!

I-Drive. Im not great with computers, but it took me about a week to get in the groove. And, now I'm just fine with it. Actually, I enjoy it. Im good with the Nav. Im good with the entertainment (love the satellite). Im getting there with the phone (although my Treo 650 is not fully functional in the car). Learning the rest.... Its not tough people. Why not just get a 65 chevy with a push-button radio and three levers for the heater???? Old dogs and new tricks. Stop whining (those of you who are) and enjoy the car... its just a kick in the pants. ........

JW
I beg your pardon!