Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
Engine metallic rattle/noise

I am a new forum member. I have recently purchased a 2001 530i. Well I should say that my wife has a 530i. We love this car. Between my wife and I we have 5 children ages from 20 to 5 years old and used to tool around in a 1998 Lincoln Navigator. Now that the oldest has moved out of the nest and a second is driving his own vehicle we downsized and treated ourselves to the 530i. We looked at the 2007 models but my favorite year of production has always been the 2001 model. Needles to say there was beautiful 2001 titanium silver with BMW 530i with offset wheels in immaculate condition with only 70,000 miles on the lot that we purchased. The car has been great. We will be changing the break pads to low dust ceramics, installing new grill inserts and purchasing a rear spoiler. The only question I would like to pose to any 2001 530i owners is that there is a metallic sound or rattle when the car is in an acceleration mode. It sounds like a loose heat shield. I have had my wife hold on the break and slightly push on the gas in order to visually try to locate the cause of the noise with no success. I will be taking the car to the dealership for maintence shortly and will have them look at the problem. I would just like to be armed with the information as to what the problem might be since as most of you owners might know that the labor cost for service averages around $100.00 per hour. We did purchase a 4 year extended warranty for any major problems that could happen but I donít think this would be covered. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I look foreword to communicating with other 530i owners. My 16 year old son is a member of a dodge truck forum and we recently took his truck to Firebird Race Way for a meet and to run his truck in the 1/4 mile. The members were great and he found a wealth of useful information for his truck. That experience gave me the idea to see if there was a BMW forum. Thanks for your help, Artisan.
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I cai chip bottle
I hear the exact same noise, only when in gear and only under acceleration. I have not been able to figure it out. If the dealership tells you what it is please share. I would love to finally have that stupid noise silenced.

thanks
Francisco
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Farewell

Send a message via AIM to skydryice Send a message via MSN to skydryice
Mein Auto: CBR954RR
Does the noise remain even after total engine warm up? or is the noise at the beginning before engine completely warms up?

Hushpower II, Stoptech BBK, UUC V12 Clutch Conversion, UUC LTW Flywheel, UUC 9-Button Clutch, Eibach Sways, CF hood, Zionsville HD conversion
UUC EVO3 SSK w/ DSSR, UUC Clutch Stop, DICE, 2point5, Eibach Pro Coilovers, High Flow Cats, Simulated O2
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 PM

for me it is allways there. no matter the amount of time the engine is on or how hot it is outside. it is very rpm specific, meaning it only happens between a certain number of rpm's. and only while in gear and driving. or while in gear with the brake pressed as to not move (like a brake stand). never while in park or neutral. it sounds like a loose heat sheild but ive checked and i think everything is tight under there. i will check again this weekend.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Farewell

Send a message via AIM to skydryice Send a message via MSN to skydryice
Mein Auto: CBR954RR
It could be your catalytic converters. Get a exhaust back pressure check done. There is a tool out there for the BMW shops to use to check catalytic converters. This symptom is out on the Technical Service Bulletins

Hushpower II, Stoptech BBK, UUC V12 Clutch Conversion, UUC LTW Flywheel, UUC 9-Button Clutch, Eibach Sways, CF hood, Zionsville HD conversion
UUC EVO3 SSK w/ DSSR, UUC Clutch Stop, DICE, 2point5, Eibach Pro Coilovers, High Flow Cats, Simulated O2
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
More Info

Sorry I was gone for so long but there was a problem with my login that was corrected by the site. The noise is there under acceleration but does also fade in and out during crusing speed 25 mph to 45 mph. I am bringing the car in for its 80,000 service and I will let you know what I find out.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 PM

ya know what i just realized. you live in phoenix. as do i. if you ever get that rattle fixed let me know becuase it is annoying.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Believe it or not it is a FREE fix

I believe you folks had the classic case of loose heat shields. This also happened to my 1983 735i (E23).

I wrote it up exactly one year ago on bimmerboard.com.
Basically the coat hanger is metal so it can handle the heat and you basically wrap BOTH shields with the coat hanger wire.
Works like a charm, not a single rattle during the last year.
Today, I just looked again underneath, one year later, the coat hanger still looks good as new .

Here is the write-up:
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/196703/

It works perfectly for me.........

Let us know if this helps you.
---

PS: Welcome on board, you will love the E39. Couple of tips that will save you alot of money. If you are a Saturday mechanic then you can handle this:
1. Cooling System Overhaul. I recommend you do this around 80-100K range:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986
2. Trans/Read Diff Oil change tips (Note that I use gravity fill method with tubing, i.e., no need for the oil gun which is very messy to use):
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/189240

Anyway, if you go to bimmerboard.com and search under cnn-090, I wrote alot of stuff overthere.

cn90
98 528i

Last edited by cn90; 05-23-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
well i thought it was heatshields till i was at the muffler place put the car on the lift and realized it was the driveshaft i think the coulprit is the center bearing it friggin rings all the way down the entire driveshaft so its really hard to tell where its comming from. i hope yours is just a heat shield but i have the exact same sound it kills me lol. but i also have the extended waranty and its covered i hope..

2000 528I
AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF
VIVA LA COKA NOSTRA
http://www.myspace.com/lacokanostramusic