Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
<3's orgies on speed

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325CI
Replacing oil separator.. need information

After searches on BFc, E46F and here, I have come up with the location of the oil separator (under the intake - so I will need to replace those gaskets when I do this) but not much more. My bentley is of no use being that I cannot find a removal/replacement guide in there.
If anyone here has replaced their oil separator and can help with a rough guide or any info I would greatly appreciate the help.

God is Dead
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2007, 04:10 PM
** Removed - tim330i **

Mein Auto: A Donkey
I just did this 2 weeks ago. You did not search hard enough because I beleive E46 fans have an in depth thread on it. First off, there is absoulutly no need to remove your intake manifold. Just everything around it. Oh and make sure you get every line that goes to it, as the only way I got mine off was to break them off.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
<3's orgies on speed

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerChuck View Post
I just did this 2 weeks ago. You did not search hard enough because I beleive E46 fans have an in depth thread on it. First off, there is absoulutly no need to remove your intake manifold. Just everything around it. Oh and make sure you get every line that goes to it, as the only way I got mine off was to break them off.
if you have a link to this thread I would appreciate it.

God is Dead
Old 05-29-2007, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 95 318i*01 325i*97 528i
Here is a cut and paste that I saved.
Besides basic handtools, you will need a torx to take the valve itself off. I want to say its a T25 (either that or a T20). A mirror and some good lighting are great also.
***61623; Before you begin, make note of the crankcase hose that goes from the valve to the valve cover. You can easily get it backwards, and it will put stress on the hose and cause early failure. Identify your new pipe, and mark if you have to.
***61623; Remove the entire intake from the filterbox down to the throttle body. If I am not mistaking, you will need to take the throttle body off too (EDK, whatever you want to call it).
***61623; Remove the fuel rail cover.
***61623; Also you are going to need to loosen the engine wiring harness bulkhead. There are 3 bolts holding it on, they are all a gold anodized finish. Once they are off, I believe all you need to do is remove it from the studs and let it hang.
***61623; Remove the oil filter cartridge. Place a rag in the canister to prevent any foreign matter from getting into an oil passage

With the steps above performed, you should be able to see most of the crankcase valve now.
***61623; One thing left blocking access to the crankcase valve.......the purge valve. Simply unplug it and slide the rubber mount off of the tab. Let it hang.

Leave the two bolts in the crankcase valve until you have removed all the hoses possible
***61623; Start at the top. There is the crankcase vent hose that runs parallel to the fuel rail......simply unscrew/unclip it from the 45 degree nimple (the connection towards the front)
***61623; Next remove the tube from the valve cover
***61623; Get a good set of pliers, and work the hose loose from the dipstick tube. It is more than likely bonded well from heat over time. Twist it, pull it, yank it.
***61623; You can probable reach down to the valve at this time and pull off at least two quick connect hose ends from the valve. Use a long thin screwdriver to help removed PITA quick connects.
***61623; At this point you might have one or two hoses still connected to the valve, but you can work it out (or just break the remaining tubes). There are two screws holding the valve to the mount on the bottom of the intake. Removed these screws and you should be home free

Note for reassembly
***61623; Put a small amount of lube (silicon or something) on each quick connect, including the tube that slides onto the dipstick. This will help assure a good connection when you are reassembling the hoses

The torx bolts are T25's, and the nuts holding the engine harness are 10mm.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it........but remove the dipstick completely. Look for the o-ring and seat it properly.

No need to remove the oil filter cartridge........scratch that.