Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 328i MT/Sport/Prem/L7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynn View Post
At least my mighty 328 can beat a Prius off the line. Now that's something. I'll remind everyone here that most people who bought 328s knew nothing about the 335 fuel pump problems when they made their decision. 70 HP for $3500 is the deal of the decade.
Funny you mention this. One of the reasons I chose the 328 is the expectation of better long term reliability. Of course I didn't know the fuel pump would fail on those cars, but the old equation 'greater complexity' = 'lower reliability' still applies.

In addition, I know my driving style: I'm not an aggressive driver and I would seldom if ever use the extra HP.

I took redelivery of my 328 last December, I've driven about 4,400 miles and couldn't be happier.

It is too bad you are not happy with your choice, but the real issue is that the car is not a good match for your driving style.

Why don't you just get the car your really want? If you did a lease with little or no down payment, you should be able to find somebody who takes over your existing lease, and switch cars without taking a big hit.

Last edited by FranT41; 05-28-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
the 328 is really an entry level vehicle to get new people into the brand.
I don't know what YOU were thinking, but WE are thinking you must be 12.

I hope this thread gets closed asap, before the tired pissing match begins once again.

BTW, I have never once "raced" my 330, never once felt the need, and never ONCE felt I was being challenged. Maybe I just don't notice if people act stupid around me.

I do enjoy driving it hard at times, of course, that's why many of us buy BMW's. But racing? Grow up. And I say "grow up" not because YOU choose to race, but because you assume WE all want to, or care. And if you love to race so much, and your ego gets bruised so easily, why did you buy the car in the first place?

it's one thing to spew your opinion, but to make statements like your comment above really shows your ignorance and your lack of understanding of market segmentation. I can think of numerous customer segments that buy the 328 and are not necessarily "new people".

Your post is insulting to non-335 owners, hence my blunt response.

HERS: E46 325CiC
02 | Steel Blue Metallic | Blue Top | Gray Dakota | PP | CW | Step |

Last edited by chi-town330; 05-28-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
I had a 335 loaner for a week last week, and while yes, it is wicked fast, (and had a service engine light soon on after only 2,200 TOTAL miles) it was too powerful for everyday commute driving and in fact, was a pain in the ass because the 6AT tended to not know what to do with the power on the street. Now, getting onto the freeway was a blast. =)

point is, the 335 doesn't fit the needs of most people, nor are there really enough well-trained drivers in the US that can handle such a car (yes, yes, all of us here know how to drive, that isn't my point)

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 05-28-2007, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: Audi S4 cab
Rich Douglas:

My decision to buy the 328 vert - as opposed to the 355 - was NOT a compromise. I am writing a check for $48,000 to buy the car...and I could easily write a check for $55,000 if I wanted a 335.

My last two cars (an '04 S4 and a modded E34 540i) both were 300+ HP cars, with all of the traffic-light flexing potential I wanted. Perhaps I just didn't want that anymore...better yet, I don't NEED that anymore.

I do NOT view the 328 as a compromise. Like I said earlier, I did not want dead animal skin this time around (somewhere in Montana, a cow says "thanks"...). 230 HP and 0-60 times comfortably under 7 seconds is just fine for me. No turbo/oil cooler type issues to have to think about dealing with in the future.

I don't see 328 owners on this board starting threads questioning people who choose to buy a 335....do you?

Last edited by bebopdeluxe; 05-28-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopdeluxe View Post
Rich Douglas:

My decision to buy the 328 vert - as opposed to the 355 - was NOT a compromise. I am writing a check for $48,000 to buy the car...and I could easily write a check for $55,000 if I wanted a 335.

My last two cars (an '04 S4 and a modded E34 540i) both were 300+ HP cars, with all of the traffic-light flexing potential I wanted. Perhaps I just didn't want that anymore...better yet, I don't NEED that anymore.

I do NOT view the 328 as a compromise. Like I said earlier, I did not want dead animal skin this time around (somewhere in Montana, a cow says "thanks"...). 230 HP and 0-60 times comfortably under 7 seconds is just fine for me. No turbo/oil cooler type issues to have to think about dealing with in the future.

I don't see 328 owners on this board starting threads questioning people who choose to buy a 335....do you?
This is a good post, because a lot of people on this forum could actually afford a much more expensive car than they actually purchase. It is silly to assume that someone is buying a 328 simply because they can't quite afford a 335, or that someone is buying a 335 because they can't afford a 535. In some cases, money is an issue, but for a lot of us, it isn't.

It all comes down to priorities and what you want to do with your cash. Personally speaking, I like to sit on a lot of cash. I am not cheap, but my wife and I do live rather modestly given our incomes and accumulated wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
I had a 335 loaner for a week last week, and while yes, it is wicked fast, (and had a service engine light soon on after only 2,200 TOTAL miles) it was too powerful for everyday commute driving and in fact, was a pain in the ass because the 6AT tended to not know what to do with the power on the street. Now, getting onto the freeway was a blast. =)

point is, the 335 doesn't fit the needs of most people, nor are there really enough well-trained drivers in the US that can handle such a car (yes, yes, all of us here know how to drive, that isn't my point)
I didn't have this perception at all when I test drove the 335.

Last edited by krash; 05-28-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
well, that' my point, you test drove it, i had it for a whole week. there is a difference.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
well, that' my point, you test drove it, i had it for a whole week. there is a difference.
This is true. But I doubt I will have any regrets and think to myself, "geez, this car is just too powerful for my everday commute."
Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 AM
qk

Mein Auto: 6
my vert 330 is plenty fast for me. you guys must all need to go really fast all the time if its not enough power for you in the new 328.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, G5
I agree on the whole "can't be enough power issue". Hell, my last daily driver was pushing well over 400hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I ordered with foreknowledge of this.
  1. I live in a cold weather climate, although summers here could get as hot as FLA.
  2. I don't intend to drive on the track, and to be honest, I might not ever crack 100mph

It would be nice if it came with an oil cooler, but I can't see driving to the point where I'm over-heated on the side of the road. Especially since nobody has ever reporting any such problem (other than that first report)...
I wouldn't be worried about it breaking down, more for long term reliability. This will be my first turbo vehicle but an oil cooler is pretty much standard imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashthatfly View Post
in the winter when all the 335's are slip sliding and the porches are in the garage,ill be gliding along...NO PROBLEM.... nicest and best car i have ever EVER owned......PERIOD
That's only the guys who can't drive RWD in the snow.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi, miniS vert, A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
This is true. But I doubt I will have any regrets and think to myself, "geez, this car is just too powerful for my everday commute."
To present a different view than kjboyd based on our personal experience of actually OWNING the 335xi for an entire month:

We've had our 335xi sedan for a whole month now and have driven it everywhere. Perhaps it may be too powerful for some, but for us it's perfect. The car is very responsive and its ZF transmission (from what I've read and heard) is an intelligent transmission that adapts to your driving style.

The car is not too powerful for everyday commute. Rather it's a total blast to drive all the time. It can be timid if you want it to be and then it can be a beast when you want to open it up. That's the beauty of the new engine.

I do, however, believe that this does not take away from a decision to purchase a 328. It's still a great car and should not signify a compromise purchase or indicate a "more affordable" vehicle. Just because we didn't buy a 5 series has no bearing on whether we were able to afford one. We chose the 3 over the 5 because the 3 was simply a more enjoyable ride. Bottom line.

Last edited by linus; 05-28-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Anyone considering a 328 vs a 335 please listen to me...spend the extra few $K and buy the 335. I own a 328 E92 coupe and I constantly get burned at lights by run of the mill cars. I wish I had waited for the 335xi instead of buying the 328xi. Dont listen to all these guys who say the 328 is more balanced yada yada yada. There is no comparison. The 335 is a right sporting car and the 328 is really an entry level vehicle to get new people into the brand. The 328 handles well but $45K for a car with 230HP....what was I thinking?

I got smoked by a Hyundai Elantra V6 last week. A HYUNDAI.
This is a very tough call. From my point of view, the 328 is nicer to drive than the 335, as the front end is lighter, and feels more tossable. The engine is also a lovely one. Smooth and quiet when you're just lazing along, but responding really well to additional throttle and especially rpm when you want or need it. It makes nice noises as the rpm goes up, as well. The overall feel is akin to my old '95 M3.

The 335, although it feels heavier and less responsive, has that lovely, torque-is-your-friend effortless feel through the gears, and is very, very nice in sixth gear out on the highway. This is an area of performance that gets little attention, but it's very important in terms of how responsive the car feels to the driver. There's also that ability to make a programming change for an additional 50 horsepower and four billion foot pounds of torque, which is *really* fun. Sounds almost as good as the 328 as well, but a little less edgy, which is a shame.

All in all, a tough pick, as mentioned, but never forget that it is absolutely, unequivocally more fun to drive a slow car quickly than it is to drive a fast car slowly.

Bruce
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i / '01 GTI
I go the 328i 'cause in my opinion it looked better than the sedan. At the time I could have ordered a 330i but I figure the car is so new it would put more value in purchasing a NEW car. I could have gone for the 335i but fear issues might arise and my embarassment to friends about it being in the shop would kill me. I might waite for the ZHP to come through and who knows maybe the next coupe or sedan might even be more tempting than a slightly improved mainstream 3.

Last edited by simp0man; 05-28-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenstein View Post

There's also that ability to make a programming change for an additional 50 horsepower and four billion foot pounds of torque, which is *really* fun. Sounds almost as good as the 328 as well, but a little less edgy, which is a shame.

Bruce
Are you refering to something like a diablo sport or hypertech? Also if you know, how is BMW about voiding warranties due to modifications?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Well, I've owned a 335 for 8 months, and I don't understand what you're talking about either regarding the AT. Perhaps the fact that your loaner had a service engine light on may have indicated a problem with the car you had? Of course, nobody needs all the power a 335 has, but the power, and especially the torque, is indeed usable under everyday circumstances such as passing and merging. Plus, it's tons of fun.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330 & 07 335 'vert
I'm not putting down anyone who chooses the 328. It's a great car, and to each his/her own. Rather, I'm pointing out the absurdities in trying to make the 328 sound like the BETTER option, when in fact both are good choices for their own purposes.

This stuff is like the M/non-M arguments--pointless. But when someone--like the poster I responded to--tries to make it sound like the 328 was a better choice, rationalizing it with "fuzzy math" regarding power, it deserves the answer it got.

I chose the 330 two years ago because I wanted the best available in a class I could afford. I did the same with the 335 'vert. For me, the lesser power, styling, etc. of the 325 weren't good. I assume the same for the 328, hence the 335.

For those who choose the 328, enjoy your very fine vehicles!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M5 & 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
+1
The 328 is a compromise to allow someone to get into this class of car. It's okay, but accept it.
i am surprised you said that...coz z4 and x3 could also be equally as cheap (the price) if you think about it...and in canada we even got 323...

the price difference b/w 328i/xi and 335i/xi is almost nothing in my opinion...it all boils down to whether the extra HP and etc are at all necessary for your daily commute and/or driving style...

Last edited by bmw101; 05-28-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Douglas View Post
The 328 is a compromise to allow someone to get into this class of car. It's okay, but accept it.
Not true. With what I spent on my 328xi coupe, I could have easily gotten a decently loaded 335i sedan. I personally just don't like how the sedan looks, I preferred a 2-door. Originally I was going to look at a X3 to satisfy my winter needs, but the 328xi coupe was a far more appealing option. If they had offered the 335ix coupe at the time of my purchase, I would have easily spent more money.

HP and Price doesn't always count for the final deciding factor.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
This thread gets resurrected about every 3 months, and like a sucker, I usually reply to it. The kids always jump in and tell us how the power and acceleration of the 335 makes them feel "cool", while the oldtimers (myself included) chime in on how we don't need all that power and acceleration with the attendant problems associated with the twin-turbos....fuel pump failure, turbos blowing up, transmission complaints, idling complaints, cars dying for no apparent reason, yada, yada, yada. All you have to do is read the various forums to see the number of complaints associated with the 335 series. I'm on my 3nd BMW and I chose the 328i (NOT the slower 328xi, which is necessarily slower because of the 4-wheel drive) and this car is my favorite. I chose it for the following reasons:

1. Same great looks and styling...very hard to tell them apart.
2. Same great handling and driveability.
3. The 328i is less than 1 second slower than the 335i 0-60MPH according to BMW specs.
4. The 328i has the same top speed of 155MPH according to BMW specs.
5. Increased long-term reliablity and dependibility because of lack of trouble-prone twin-turbos. I have not had ONE issue with the 328i.
6. Most likely a better ratio of return when I decide to sell it (how many of you guys want to buy a used turbo-charged car?).
7. Lower insurance rates.
8. Better gas mileage
9. While price was not a deciding factor for me, the tricked out 328i with Premium and Sports Packages was about 5K less than a comparably equiped 335i.

So, for all those reasons, I chose the 328i, and have never regretted my choice. If I were going to buy another car, I would most likely buy another 328i.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Mike in Texas

Mein Auto: 2007 328i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
This thread gets resurrected about every 3 months, and like a sucker, I usually reply to it. The kids always jump in and tell us how the power and acceleration of the 335 makes them feel "cool", while the oldtimers (myself included) chime in on how we don't need all that power and acceleration with the attendant problems associated with the twin-turbos....fuel pump failure, turbos blowing up, transmission complaints, idling complaints, cars dying for no apparent reason, yada, yada, yada. All you have to do is read the various forums to see the number of complaints associated with the 335 series. I'm on my 3nd BMW and I chose the 328i (NOT the slower 328xi, which is necessarily slower because of the 4-wheel drive) and this car is my favorite. I chose it for the following reasons:

3. The 328i is less than 1 second slower than the 335i 0-60MPH according to BMW specs.
5. Increased long-term reliablity and dependibility because of lack of trouble-prone twin-turbos. I have not had ONE issue with the 328i.
6. Most likely a better ratio of return when I decide to sell it (how many of you guys want to buy a used turbo-charged car?).
8. Better gas mileage
9. While price was not a deciding factor for me, the tricked out 328i with Premium and Sports Packages was about 5K less than a comparably equiped 335i.

So, for all those reasons, I chose the 328i, and have never regretted my choice. If I were going to buy another car, I would most likely buy another 328i.

I purchased the 328i because it was beautiful. Only thing I regret is not getting the sport option because I cannot go faster than 135 miles per hour. I have had it at 120 and felt I could do more alot more. Again only regret is not getting sport option. Attached is my pic and it is a twin sister of your car. Nice twins and no turbo here friends just two pretty bimmers.

07 - 328i Coupe
Old 05-28-2007, 07:17 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Anyone considering a 328 vs a 335 please listen to me...spend the extra few $K and buy the 335. I own a 328 E92 coupe and I constantly get burned at lights by run of the mill cars. I wish I had waited for the 335xi instead of buying the 328xi. Dont listen to all these guys who say the 328 is more balanced yada yada yada. There is no comparison. The 335 is a right sporting car and the 328 is really an entry level vehicle to get new people into the brand. The 328 handles well but $45K for a car with 230HP....what was I thinking?

From the posts that I've seen, it's become clear to me that you wouldn't know what a "right sporting car" was if one fell from the sky and crushed you on the spot.

This is a "right sporting car":

This is a somewhat-less-sporting-but-still-sporting car (i.e. tame enough that it won't force premature hip replacement surgery in the old men who buy most of them, or crush like a cheap soda can when run over by a 16 year old girl in her mother's Suburban):

And this is a glorified passenger sedan for people like me who want a proper performance car but have to settle for four doors and/or four seats, or want to pretend like they're driving something exciting (yet relatively economical/practical) while commuting somewhere less than exciting (I'll leave the badge whoring majority out):

If you're buying a 3 series in lieu of something similar to the first two above, there are (should be) good reasons for it. Destroying all comers in the stoplight wars or shaming Corvettes and their drivers at the track are not paramount among those reasons. It's time for everybody to stop harping on the 328i. Provided you drive with a reasonable degree of restraint (i.e. not like a bloody idiot), it's not getting you to the grocery store any slower than the 335i is.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Well said.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:

What do you want to do with your car? Do you want to enjoy its overall balance, handling and ride, or do you want to race people away from stoplights?

You can do the latter in a Mustang

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post

8. Better gas mileage

There's a 10th and 11th reason the 328 might've been a better choice: it's lighter and those SP wheels are wonderful!!

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Anyone considering a 328 vs a 335 please listen to me...spend the extra few $K and buy the 335. I own a 328 E92 coupe and I constantly get burned at lights by run of the mill cars.
Posts like this crop up from time to time, and leave me scratching my head - why the hell are you driving a Bimmer at all if you're concerned about getting "burned at lights"?? Go by yourself a Mustang GT, save $20k, and be done with it.. and embarrass all the Hyundais, 328i's, etc., that roam the earth.

If this is what owning a BMW is all about to you, then you just don't get it.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 AM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
And this is a glorified passenger sedan for people like me who want a proper performance car but have to settle for four doors and/or four seats, or want to pretend like they're driving something exciting (yet relatively economical/practical) while commuting somewhere less than exciting . . .
Oh man, I've just been pegged.

All I can add is that (1) it is the glorified passenger sedan for guys like us who won't go gentle into that good 5 (i.e.,apologies to Dylan Thomas), and (2) I did think before I got my 335 home that I was pretending to drive something exciting, now I'm excited daily (which could mean I'm easily excited, but that's lucky for me now isn't it?).
Closed Thread