Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJAX View Post
Are you refering to something like a diablo sport or hypertech? Also if you know, how is BMW about voiding warranties due to modifications?
Vishnu Tuning, and others by now I'm sure.

Voiding warranties is significantly dealer dependent, but this particular mod can be installed or removed in a minute or two, and leaves no electronic traces...

Bruce
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335i coupe 6mt
The difference in price with the coupe sport package is interesting. With the 328i power front seats is a necessary option. (995.00) They are standard on the 335i. Plus with the 335i you get the upgraded stereo. (1200 bucks on the 328i). So the price difference is 3500, 328i vs 335i w/sport package, power seats and stereo added in.

That stated I still think I will get the 08 6MT 328i Coupe sport. I have driven both (Auto) and the 328i is exactly where I want to be. (Oh by the way I am an old guy here), but I would have done the same if I bought the Cayman, not going for the S.

So money is not the issue.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Yeah, it seems like this thread pops up all the time. When the 335 first came out and some posters commented about the future reliability of the turbo and why they preferred 325,28 or 30 they were taken to the wood shed! I remember the comments of how they were just envious, jealous and could not afford a 335. I test drove the 335 and 330 on the Autobahn before my purchase and I loved them. That being said I chose the 325 not because I could not afford the others because I liked it the most all-round and prefer naturally aspirated engines. The 325 is fast will do 155 and handles well like a BMW and with over 10K of trouble free driving what more do I need (knock on wood)? If I just wanted HP, 0-60 times and tires smoking stop light burnouts I could of bought a Mustang or GTO cheaper. The bottom line is buy what you like with your money, but to attack someone else who did not purchase a 335 and say they compromised that's crazy! I would never buy a used 335 because I believe most of them have been abused and ran into the ground before the lease was up.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenstein View Post
Vishnu Tuning, and others by now I'm sure.

Voiding warranties is significantly dealer dependent, but this particular mod can be installed or removed in a minute or two, and leaves no electronic traces...

Bruce
I have seen many references to "stealerships" on this site. But what about users moding their cars with something that may cause damage, and then not taking responsibility for it?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: M3
328 vs. 335

I have the vert. And maybe the 328 will be more dependable but i won't get smoked by a Hyundai.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
I have seen many references to "stealerships" on this site. But what about users moding their cars with something that may cause damage, and then not taking responsibility for it?
I can see both sides to a point, on one hand the auto companies sell you a "performance car", complete with pictures of road courses and racing, then on the other hand they try to void their warranty for minor modifications. I've seen dealers (not bmw that I know of) try to void customers warranties for things as innocuous as a catback. Then again if I throw on a 200 shot of nitrous, I probably shouldn't expect bmw to foot the repair bill.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
335>328 enough said
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Sorry for adding to the threat that should be not that long.
I just drop my '06 330i Limited Edition for tire replacement and get 328 as loner.
Few points:
1. I only now realize how laud my Bridgstone tires.
2. This car (328i) is poppy and drive as a charm that came to next point
3. Is there some thing wrong with my 330i - I get feeling that 328 start and accelerate MUCH FASTER then my 330i
4. Person who get beet up by Hyundai - please see professional help.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
What about it? That's between the individual and their mirror each morning.

In my personal experience, this is a large and gray area. I bought a new Neon back in 1998, as a winter car and for track days (astoundingly fun car, and fast on track). I modified it with Mopar Performance aftermarket parts, including an engine control computer with (among other things) a raised rev limiter, plus an aftermarket pulley set, each installed by the dealer. None of these parts were warranteed, by the way.

The dealer (both sales and service) knew exactly how I was using this car, so when it finally blew up, I expected I'd get some apologetic "this is going to cost you" stuff.

Nope. They put a new engine in it, at no charge.

Should I have bitched to Chrysler that the car was modified and used on track, and refused service until they promised me I'd have to pay?

Bruce
Old 05-30-2007, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenstein View Post
What about it? That's between the individual and their mirror each morning.

In my personal experience, this is a large and gray area. I bought a new Neon back in 1998, as a winter car and for track days (astoundingly fun car, and fast on track). I modified it with Mopar Performance aftermarket parts, including an engine control computer with (among other things) a raised rev limiter, plus an aftermarket pulley set, each installed by the dealer. None of these parts were warranteed, by the way.

The dealer (both sales and service) knew exactly how I was using this car, so when it finally blew up, I expected I'd get some apologetic "this is going to cost you" stuff.

Nope. They put a new engine in it, at no charge.

Should I have bitched to Chrysler that the car was modified and used on track, and refused service until they promised me I'd have to pay?

Bruce

So what does any of this have to do with the topic of the thread????

Good luck with your Neon................
Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I think you will see more non-turbo BMW's on the track. The 335 turbo was a patch to provide more interim power. However, sustained power on a track would cause issues. The 335 runs very hot. Pushing it on a track on a hot day is asking for trouble and a voided warranty. This was seen in the early stages of testing from a few review mags. I think this is why the M3 is getting a V8.

Dont think the N54 was a patch for the 3 series. Its cheaper to build, lighter and more efficienct than the V8 will be. The 3 series is already pretty pricey, the M3 is way more expensive. The 3 series competition, G35, lexus IS had more power than the N52, the N54 evens things up for the sub 50K 3 series, allows the 5 series to have power without the huge cost increase, lesser mileage of the V8. BMW wanted to compete with the 3.5L competition and did it without a total redesign of the block, which couldnt be enlarged to 3.5L. The track overheating was already addressed in due to the additional oil cooler. Havent heard of overheating the newer cooler systems on the track yet. The M3 is targeted for the audi RS4(75K), not the G35/G37.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Highlander
FYI, throw my vote in for the 328i... But just a note - don't bash hyundai rashly - they are improving by leaps and bounds and the latest models are probably are slightly better than toyota and honda at this point. (of note...lincoln/mercury also did pretty well in the latest reliability ratings...go figure) South Korea's manufacturing expertise is on the rise - they already make the best consumer electronics, LCD's and semiconductors, so it's no surprise that automobiles should follow suit. In terms of the more subjective stuff, they may not have as much experience as, say, BMW or Nissan but they will pick that up in time.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdriver View Post
Dont think the N54 was a patch for the 3 series. Its cheaper to build, lighter and more efficienct than the V8 will be. The 3 series is already pretty pricey, the M3 is way more expensive. The 3 series competition, G35, lexus IS had more power than the N52, the N54 evens things up for the sub 50K 3 series, allows the 5 series to have power without the huge cost increase, lesser mileage of the V8. BMW wanted to compete with the 3.5L competition and did it without a total redesign of the block, which couldnt be enlarged to 3.5L. The track overheating was already addressed in due to the additional oil cooler. Havent heard of overheating the newer cooler systems on the track yet. The M3 is targeted for the audi RS4(75K), not the G35/G37.
N54 gets better mileage than V8 but it seems like the logistics and support tail for it (heavier engine components/block) adds more weight...

I really hope BMW doesn't shoot itself in the foot trying to squeeze bigger and bigger displacements and HP...they shouldn't respond to the competition but define it on their own terms. Maybe make the 335i answer to the competition's muscle-cars-in-lambs-clothing designs, but keep the 328i light and in the "float like a butterfly sting like a bee" category...
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf5128 View Post
N54 gets better mileage than V8 but it seems like the logistics and support tail for it (heavier engine components/block) adds more weight...

I really hope BMW doesn't shoot itself in the foot trying to squeeze bigger and bigger displacements and HP...they shouldn't respond to the competition but define it on their own terms. Maybe make the 335i answer to the competition's muscle-cars-in-lambs-clothing designs, but keep the 328i light and in the "float like a butterfly sting like a bee" category...

The N54 engine+ periferals is still at 30lbs lighter than the new M3 V8, but 45 lbs heavier than the N52. The N54 is an engine that will go in many more cars than the 4L V8, simply because many more 335's, 535's will be sold than M3's, 5 series V8's. I agree on the 328i, and expect it will remain the most tossable 3 series with its lightweight I6.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
I think that there is always some confusion about what BMW's are typically meant to be. And that is perfectly BALANCED, COMFORTABLE cars that because of the perfect balance and handling lean toward "sport" driving. They have never been "kick the rice burner at the red light kind of cars" But they will beat that car when the road starts twisting and turning. Now yes some BMW's are fast (the new 335 is no slouch- and will even grow in hp and torque over the next 5 years for sure) but even the S54 motor for all its awards and such is NOT REALLY THAT FAST OFF THE LINE!! You need to rev it to (what I think) are ridiculous heights to get the real speed- Love Lives above 5000 RPM in M3's and Z4M's.

I just got a Z4M coupe I am in LOVE with that car but guess what for all its 0-60 in 4.9 seconds BS that means you have to REV THE LIVIN DAYLIGHTS out of it to achieve this. AND it is a violent thing to go up to 6-7k - but MAN IS IT COOL. So guess what- the Z forum is full of people wondering why the Z4M isn't off the line faster.
But I like the BMW philosophy- slightly taller gearing for better gas mileage and smoothness for everyday driving but you can "get it" when you want to. So you get a GT car and a "sports" car in one with most models- ESPECIALLY the E90-92's but with the Z4's as well.

Message to OP do you have 6 sp m if not then REALLY don't complain. Your 45k bought a lot more than just straight line speed.

PS notice that I didnt say BMW QUALITY in the above attributes. BMW quality has always beens uspect to me and SHOULD be better- many fanboys and others live with it and make excuses. Even though I have had pretty good luck- I DO believe our cars should be as bullet proof as the Japanese cars are- period- no argument on that.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf5128 View Post
FYI, throw my vote in for the 328i... But just a note - don't bash hyundai rashly - they are improving by leaps and bounds and the latest models are probably are slightly better than toyota and honda at this point. (of note...lincoln/mercury also did pretty well in the latest reliability ratings...go figure) South Korea's manufacturing expertise is on the rise - they already make the best consumer electronics, LCD's and semiconductors, so it's no surprise that automobiles should follow suit. In terms of the more subjective stuff, they may not have as much experience as, say, BMW or Nissan but they will pick that up in time.
+1 Manufacturing techniques and engineering "sharing" between companies is closing the gap in quality, refinement and sport driving.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M5 & 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrZHP View Post
+1 Manufacturing techniques and engineering "sharing" between companies is closing the gap in quality, refinement and sport driving.
true just need a couple of decades to build up the reputation
Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to ijstylezi
Mein Auto: 2007 335xi sedan
oh man oh man....yea you looked good getting burned haha
Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
So what does any of this have to do with the topic of the thread????

Please go back through the thread. I mentioned (in addition to my thoughts that it's a tough call between the two cars) that the 335 had an easy additional 50 HP or so by way of electronics, and that was an advantage. Another noter brought up the warranty topic, and I responded.

Good luck with your Neon................
Although I personally think you may be driving the sweetest of the current E9X offerings, you may want to separate your psyche and sense of self-worth from the car you drive. Over the years, we've owned Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc., and the two Neons I've owned have been among the most fun to drive. "Biff", the SRT4 I just sold (and already miss) was a lot more fun to drive than "Otto", our E46 M3. On track, it couldn't stay with Otto, but that was only on significant straights, where the addtional 103 horsepower helped Otto along. E36 M3s were a piece of cake for Biff, along with almost anything else from BMW (except for the E46 M3 as mentioned, plus the last two M5 cars and current M6).

I don't give a damn about my image behind the wheel. Fun is fun, and those two Neons were a ball. Since we've moved, I've backed off on track days (there's nothing interesting that's close to me), and also on instructing during those events - but Biff was a giggle every time I drove it, even on the street. This may seem strange to you, since you so closely identify your image with the cars you drive, but if you can lighten up a little on that issue, you'll have more fun in the long run.

Bruce
Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynn View Post
Anyone considering a 328 vs a 335 please listen to me...spend the extra few $K and buy the 335. I own a 328 E92 coupe and I constantly get burned at lights by run of the mill cars. I wish I had waited for the 335xi instead of buying the 328xi. Dont listen to all these guys who say the 328 is more balanced yada yada yada. There is no comparison. The 335 is a right sporting car and the 328 is really an entry level vehicle to get new people into the brand. The 328 handles well but $45K for a car with 230HP....what was I thinking?

I got smoked by a Hyundai Elantra V6 last week. A HYUNDAI.
After driving a 328 C with Sports pkg in Germany both city and Autobahn I have to say you are just plain wrong. While the extra power and torque may have added a little bit to the experience it wouldnt be nearly enough to compensate for the gas used or any additional purchace costs. Factor in long term reliability concerns and a 335 makes less sense than a 328i.
Flame Away
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Interesting how guys seem to be wired to go on and on arguing about things. Not only here but in sports bars, digital camera websites (e.g. which brand is best, and in threads within any given brand, which model is best) etc. Rarely see women getting into it.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: E92 328i
328 and 335 group hug

Old 05-31-2007, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
After driving a 328 C with Sports pkg in Germany both city and Autobahn I have to say you are just plain wrong. While the extra power and torque may have added a little bit to the experience it wouldnt be nearly enough to compensate for the gas used or any additional purchace costs. Factor in long term reliability concerns and a 335 makes less sense than a 328i.
Flame Away
Remember the 335i is more than just a larger engine.

When I took into account the Xenon's, Larger Wheels, Power Seats and a lower lease factor when I placed my order, the difference was only around $20 per month. Made sense for me to get the 335i. Plus the dual exhaust is much cooler
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: E92 328i
Ok, now flame away again please.

335 328
Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: Audi S4 cab
Why - EXACTLY - does there need to be one right answer? Why can't one car (the 335) work for people over HERE...and one car (the 328) work for people over THERE?

Huh?

Man...this sounds like when my 10 year-old boy argues with my 12-year-old...sometimes I just wanna slap BOTH of them upside their heads.

Life's too short....just enjoy the ride.
Closed Thread