Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:23 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Must Have Options?

We are ordering an X3 for late September ED.

Are there any options considered a must have? Something you wished you had?

At the moment our order looks like this:

A61 Crimson Red
KCSN Sand Beige Sensatec Leatherette
4BP Light Poplar Wood

Thinking about adding Privacy Glass and just maybe Nav. We are not getting a Steptronic.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Xenons are very handy. I cannot imagine the seats without Lumbar Support.
Bluetooth is a very nice feature. Heated seats are perfect for cold days. All of that for about $2,500. Enjoy!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Heated steering wheel. Gotta have it.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 06-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 2006 530i
Couple of suggestions but first some background: Friend just got a white/black sensatec/ light poplar that he had built because he didn't want all of the options in the packages. I have a 2 week old silver gray/gray leather/gray poplar with premium, cold weather, privacy glass, blue tooth and the mirror with homelink (use all the time- don't like messing with the remote).

I really like the Sensatec - excellant quality, comfortable and wears like iron.

The main regret I have is that I did not get the rear airbags. Don't know how I missed it (thought they were standard) and I believe a must and even negligent if you have kids.

I had a Navi. in my last two cars and used it all the time (I was surprised at how much I used it) but the X3 did not have it and frankly I would not have paid the price after my last experience with my Volvo Navi. which was not great. I am not sure the BMW was better. The Navi in Japanese cars is much better than EU navi. I intend to get an after market Garmin or Tom-Tom at about $500.

What my wife loves and I like but do not use as much are the seat heaters. Even though we live in a moderate climate it is nice during cold weather. Our X has them in the back seat too.

I use the Aux for ipod and would probably get that too, if it is not standard.

I also wasn't hot on the bluetooth but use it all the time - easy to link to a compatible phone and much safer.

Our Z4 has a stick and while I would be tempted to have a stick our X3 has steptronic and for this car it feels right in spite of the problems noted here. Strictly personal preference.

Congrats and good luck. You will love your X3.

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
'07 X3, Silver Gray, Gray, Gray Poplar, Auto (gone and forgotten)
'03 Z4, 2.5, M. Blue, Black, MT, Sport, Premium. (RIP)
'95 325i, E36, Blk, Blk, auto, premium
'89 325i, E30, 1st one, Platinum Bronze, Black leatherette, MT.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3
We only went with Premium option with our X3, the only regret is not getting parking distance control (PDC). X3 is pretty large and not easy to see out back so I think this is useful option.

Many people recommend heated seats and steering wheel, but if your in Atlanta probably not necessary. Also keep in mind Crimson Red is going to attract police attention so something to think about. I would personally go with a low profile color if your going to do lots of highway driving.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Auf Wiedersehen, suckas!!

Mein Auto: .
get premium, htd seats, servotronic.
I wish I didn't get navi...any Garmin unit is better...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 AM
resU deretsigeR

Thanks for all of the well thought out suggestions

My responses:

Any opinions on Privacy Glass??

We hadn't thought about PDC. I've added it our list of options to consider.

Ditto for Xenons.

Sounds like a unanimous thumbs down to nav. its off our list. I've got an ancient Magellan and will be looking at TomTom and Garmen.

Heated seats are nice but hard to justify in ATL where it snows maybe one day a year.

We don't want the premium package. We've got leather in our e46. After looking at both interiors we decided Sensatec is better for us and our 5 dogs. We don't want Assist either.

We've got bluetooth in the e46 too and never got around to pairing our phones. Kinda embarrassing.

Dogs, not kids will be riding in the back of our X3. No rear airbags. I'm not sure about the X3 but on the Sedans the optional airbags are shipped disconnected. You have to sign a liability waiver and then make a service appt. to have the dealer take apart the doors and connect up the airbags. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I think the aux input is standard now. If it isn't I'll get the kit. We are also going to get the rear area cover. We've got rear seat cover for the e46 and I recommend it.

We've got our tickets to Europe. Going to put the order in this week
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
A*D, the only regrets are that I got the black interior. Very hard to keep clean, shows every speck of dust and scuff mark. Love the Sensatec seats, comfortable and easy to clean up after the grandkids drop their "snacks". Did not want privacy glass because it is hard to see out of with older eyes at night. Probably would get the Xenons next time, along with the new diesel! After 17K it has been trouble free. Very happy with the X3 with the exception of the harsh ride over rough roads, but you do get used to that and the performance makes up for it IMHO. I have a lightly optioned '06 with heated seats, the 19" wheels and A/T. Enjoy the ED experience!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:49 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterz4 View Post
Our Z4 has a stick and while I would be tempted to have a stick our X3 has steptronic and for this car it feels right in spite of the problems noted here. Strictly personal preference.
The 2.5i with steptronic we test drove in '04 needed to be a stick. With the new engine and much improved steptronic transmission the '07 is more than fine with the automatic. We both prefer driving a stick shift. Since the car is leased, it really doesn't matter that the car will be difficult to sell.

I'm not too concerned about the problems. Sounds like it would already be fixed for our X3. For that matter does anyone here even have a manual? For all we know it could have issues.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-09-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:59 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Very happy with the X3 with the exception of the harsh ride over rough roads, but you do get used to that and the performance makes up for it IMHO. I have a lightly optioned '06 with heated seats, the 19" wheels and A/T. Enjoy the ED experience!
We've had a black interior before. Never again I do wish Sensatec was available in gray.

Thanks for the input on the privacy glass.

BMW softened the ride for '07. Too bad. We preferred the stiffer suspension. Even the '06 is soft compared to my Miata.

19" wheels contribute to the harsh ride. We are sticking with the stock wheels. I don't want to worry about bending a rim on Atlanta's terrible roads. I've also had upgraded rims stolen twice. Not going through that again.

Now our order looks like:

A61 Crimson Red
KCSN Sand Beige Sensatec Leatherette
4BP Light Poplar Wood
508 Park Distance Control

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-09-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E93, 08 X3
Servotronic Steering

In my opinion . . . Servotronic Steering would be at the top of the list.

"216 Servotronic Steering
Includes vehicle speed-sensitive variable assist power steering. The power assist progressively increases when the vehicle slows down, thereby reducing the effort required of the driver to turn the steering wheel during low speed maneuvering."

Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Custom User ***le Removed

Mein Auto: 2014 ATS 3.6; 2012 128iC
I have a manual transmission in my 2006 X3 and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 4.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	111250   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt34view1.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	111251  
Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
resU deretsigeR

Terracotta leather looks great. Is that the shift knob from an e46 M3??
Old 06-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Uhhhh...up to you, of course, but from Mrs. W's perspective:

- bluetooth is a must have - she loves it.

From my perspective:

- Xenons

On other items:

Yes, aux input is standard, but the location behind the front seat on the back of the interseat console completely baffles me.

The two-tone interiors are VERY nice, especially the tobacco+black, with ash wood. That's what we ended up with. I like it, a lot.

The "privacy glass" is virtually unnoticeable/transparent. Still, every little helps, so we opted for it being in Florida.

IDK about the servotronic, the standard steering seems excellent to me.

The A61 is a little too electric for us, YMMV I guess. Hope it is easy to sell when you get ready to eventually.... I would not buy that color, personally.

Ditto on the OEM navigation, we have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and love it. Price-wise it leaves OEM in the dust. Still, if you like the "integrated" look...but in 6 months, the technology is out of date, so...

Not much use for heated seats or steering wheel here.

I guess black interior is personal preference, I have had 4 loaners in beige and every one showed dirt, a lot. The black interior in my E46 shows no dirt, after four years. Still trying to figure out those comments, but to each his own.

I would think the transmission "fix" is resolved, ours (April build) has never exhibited any problems.

It really is a nice truck. Good luck on your ED.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Look at my SIG. I wouldn't change a thing. The only option I wish I had would be the heated steering wheel but you can't get it with SP. As far as heated seats you don't have to be in a snow belt to take advantage of them. I've read quite a few posts from members in warmer climates using them because they just feel good on your back, especially if you have some sort of a back problem. Good luck in whatever options you choose. "Enjoy"
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Psymon

I would put Servotronic Steering on top of the list too.

Then:
- PDC
- Dension's iPod interface
- Sports Steering wheel (if it didn't come with one)

Good Luck!

Here's the Photo Album of my X3
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Yes, aux input is standard, but the location behind the front seat on the back of the interseat console completely baffles me.
Maybe I'll get the Harman/Kardon iPod remote.

Quote:
The two-tone interiors are VERY nice, especially the tobacco+black, with ash wood. That's what we ended up with. I like it, a lot.
Could you post a photo of the interior. That isn't a color I'm likely to find in dealer inventory.

Quote:

The A61 is a little too electric for us, YMMV I guess. Hope it is easy to sell when you get ready to eventually.... I would not buy that color, personally.
I like A35 too. Not nearly as loud as the red. I'm just concerned about the amount of work keeping a dark color looking nice. I am partial to bright red too Selling a red X3 with a manual is Not Our Problem. We are combining several lease promotions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	535iA.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	111303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miata5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	111304  

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-09-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I do not have Privacy Glass and really like it that way.
My sun glasses take care of the extra light and I think it keeps things bright inside.
I would go without again.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Psymon

Oh Privacy Glass!!!

The air conditioning for the rear passengers is pretty bad. So the Privacy Glass might help to block some sunlight and reduce the heat inside the car during day time. I didn't care about it before because it was just me and my wife..... but now I have a son and I find he is always sweating in his safey seat.

Here's the Photo Album of my X3
Old 06-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Privacy glass is very minimum tint. If you really want a tint, go after market since I don't think the version offered by BMW is worth the price.

Stick shift is the best for me. I have driven several loaners / Drive for the Cure automatics and with the exception of the Z4 paddles, I much prefer the 6 speed.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 06-10-2007, 05:20 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
I don't think the version offered by BMW is worth the price.
That's true for most of the options. $500 for HD radio? Aftermarket car stereos with HD tuners are about $150. $150 for a cargo net?

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-10-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:46 AM
resU deretsigeR

I found photos of the Tobacco interior. Ignore my request for a picture.

A.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Auf Wiedersehen, suckas!!

Mein Auto: .
I also have tobacco interior, with the light wood, which I find to have higher contrast, and it is rarer. My color combo, Platinum over Tobbaco over Light, is very rare, I think there are about 10 of them in the U.S. I would plan on always keeping your windows open, because oddly enough there are no rear HVAC, so it gets really hot back there. I like the privacy glass not becuase of it's sun reflection, but becuase of it's privacy. (and look). Deep tint is illegal anyways where I live. I have servotronic, and it's just O.K. I don't have xenons, and I find the headlights do not reach very far nor are bright, but they work. If for some reason the car has heated rear seats, the iPod jack is relocated to the center console storage compartment.
Let us know what happens!

(P.S. pics of the interior of my X3 can be found here. Scroll past the X5(s) and the convertible and it's there )
Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I've been out of town so I may be too late to the party, but I'd recommend the following options, in this order of importance:

xenons
heated steering wheel (it's a steal and it's great)
Sport package, if you have the $$$ and would trade it for heated steering wheel
Rear-side airbags
PDC (if you need such things)
Premium sound and/or HD radio
Cold Weather, for the heated rear seats

Go for the manual transmission, I've heard good things about it. In addition, I've also heard zero complaints about the programming

Don't get the privacy glass. We have it and it's so light, it doesnt deserve to the called tint esp. for $250 or whatever they charge. Do it aftermarket.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 06-14-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i
See my sig for details on what I have.

I do have the Premium package and enjoy the leather but I see the point of those that don't want it.

The 4 way lumbar is nice, especially on a long trip to adjust the back pressure and even give you a massage.

Xenons are great especially if you drive on a lot of back roads at night.

I use bluetooth all the time. Hands free dialing pressing a few buttons on the wheel to call or 1 button to answer is sooo nice.

I use heated seats 4 months of the year even in Charlotte. I've used the heated wheel in the 650i about 20 seconds total. It gets hot fast.

As mentioned, privacy glass isn't very dark. If you always tint cars don't bother with it and just get the tint. If you want a little tint, its nice and helps some with the heat.

Servotronic is nice for parking but not necessary. I don't have PDC but don't use rear PDC much on other BMWs that have/had it.

Nav is useful if you travel or use it for business sales visits but may not be the best value if other things are more important. There are cheaper aftermarket options here as well.

The base stereo is good enough unless you're an audiophile or need lots of bass.

My opinion on rear airbags is they are not designed for kids. I don't know if they'd help if the child is in a good car seat and they'd definately hurt if he/she is not. That's why BMW requires the waiver.

PS: On the '06 the Universal Opener and Compass was a dealer accesory and expensive at that. I use the opener all the time.