Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:58 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Go for the manual transmission, I've heard good things about it. In addition, I've also heard zero complaints about the programming
Debbie is sure to complain about my programming.

Thanks for the continued input. Adrian submitted our pre-reservation request early this week. We have a little more time for a final decision on on color and options.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Vorsitzer

Send a message via AIM to vrrooom
Mein Auto: Bummers, porkys
Opinions on Options

I have 2 X3's a 2004 and 2006 which are identically equipped.

Opinion on options: My wife, daughter and myself

Navigation : never lost again, we can find places when we are driving alone, that with a map or mapguest would be juggling exercises. Hint we have our homes pre programed, and when we are done wandering arround it is easy to select the home address and be taken there, no matter how convoluted our wandering was.

Premium: for the blue tooth alone, as more and more states are banning cell phone use in the car, with voice dial works very well. Other things are nice to haves.

Heated wheel and seats: Both cars are used in cold climates and are must haves for my wife and daughter (cars without these are not being considered this falls acquisiton and would you believe MB charges 500 denarios for just the wheel!!!)

Prem Radio and Sirus: much better than the std radio, and Sirus does grow on you as you use the non music channels (like in car NASCAR on sunday) My 04 has an aftermarket Sirius S50 which did cost as much as the dealer installed unit, but is far more usable as it is portable, usable in my office radio and gym as a IPOD.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0
heated steering wheel is a must. I like the heated seats too, but I can't stand the headlight washers, wish they could turn that off.

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-15-2007, 09:04 AM
resU deretsigeR

You can get heated front seats without getting the headlight washers.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0
true, but they're part of the cold weather package.

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 335is & x5
I know not many people like the Privacy Glass, but for us it was so good we got it again on our 07 that is being built right now. I do quite a bit of woodworking and I am always throwing a bundle of some exotic hardwood in the back of my wife's X3. The nice thing about the Privacy Glass is that it will not tear/scratch like a tint will. I have had wood scrape the window numerous times where it would have surely left a nice mark in some after market tint. As for heat, we live in Texas and I feel very little difference in it when it is hot compared to my old E46 that had aftermarket tint. I personally can not feel the difference between 130 or 140 degrees in a car

I know it is not for everyone, but there are a few of us that find it useful.
Retired
2010 X5 35d, 2011 135i LeMans Blue ED 05/10, 2007 335i Sedan Space Grey ED 05/07, 2007 X3 3.0si Monaco Blue, 2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray, 2004 330Ci Silver Gray, 2002 325Ci TiAg, 2002 325i TiAg
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335i
I wouldnt get the privacy glass because it does not add anything else, like in the X5 rear climate package. I would go get my windows tinted from any aftermarket place.
Black Sapphire/Black Leather/Dark Wood
2006 E90 330i (turned in)
Jet Black/Black Leather/Dark Wood
Old 06-16-2007, 03:45 PM
resU deretsigeR

We went back to the dealer for a second look at the options and colors on our maybe list. We've made our final decision and signed the purchase order.

Our Vehicle Inquiry report reads back:

A61 Crimson Red
KCSN Sand Beige Leatherette
428 Warning Triangle
4BP Light Poplar wood trim
508 Park Distance Control

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

A&D
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterz4 View Post
The main regret I have is that I did not get the rear airbags. Don't know how I missed it (thought they were standard) and I believe a must and even negligent if you have kids.
There is information that airbags in the rear is not appropriate if you have kids under 13, as they could cause more harm then good. My wife and my dealer told me not to get them because we have a toddler.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: Car
- Premium Package

- Sports Package
- Metallic Paint (you have to have metallic paint in order to get the sports package)

- Xenon's
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: Acura,BMW,Honda
Cool

The best options in BMW are
ACC Stop and GO,
Comfort Access
Bluetooth tech(but the choice of cellphones > sucks)
Comfort Seats
Ceramic tint -after market
Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 3.0si, 05 Acura TL
I have a 2007, silver gray metallic, premium pkg, cold wheather pkg, 18 in wheel upgrade, privacy glass, steptronic, heated rear seats, tobacco leather.

I really wish I had the comfort seats, heated steering wheel, rear airbags and the servotronic steering. I don't care for xenon's and I'm not much of an audiophile so the basic stereo with aux is fine (it has an odd placement). The steering without servo takes increased effort but I'm used to it now (my hands actually hurt for months). I drove a loaner with the heated steering wheel and is was great for only $150.

Overall, I love it and it has been great. I have 12,000 miles and the mpg has improved considerably over time. The adaptive transmission takes some getting used to though.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: X3
My X3 is very new, two weeks old. Very glad I got the servotronic (I have to parallel park often), the heated steering wheel (and the fact that is was only $150 and I thought I don't need it) but after talking to a few people with it, I am glad I did. The rearairbags (I never have children in my vehicle so I went with it). Heated seats was another option I figured I did not need but my friend, who also has them, convinced me to order it.

What I think I should have added? PDC, since parking this is a lot different than my previous vehicle, a Civic (I could parallel park that into tight spots with my eyes closed). But, I guess with time I will have a better feel for this vehicle and be able to gauge more on my own. It is taking me some getting used to parking as I always think I am too close to objects.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: Car
You will be surprised of the dimensions of the X3..

My wife's old M3 was 4" wider and 6" shorter than our new X3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Owners Manual - 2007_X3_Series.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	118156  
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2007 View Post
My X3 is very new, two weeks old. Very glad I got the servotronic (I have to parallel park often), the heated steering wheel (and the fact that is was only $150 and I thought I don't need it) but after talking to a few people with it, I am glad I did. The rearairbags (I never have children in my vehicle so I went with it). Heated seats was another option I figured I did not need but my friend, who also has them, convinced me to order it.

What I think I should have added? PDC, since parking this is a lot different than my previous vehicle, a Civic (I could parallel park that into tight spots with my eyes closed). But, I guess with time I will have a better feel for this vehicle and be able to gauge more on my own. It is taking me some getting used to parking as I always think I am too close to objects.

Because I was in a rush to get a car, I ended up getting one without PDC. But the dealer offers an OEM solution that's only for the rear, which is all you need anyway. Anyway, getting mine installed next week, so that's always an option. And agreed, I definitely need this, although after the first day, I can judge the length of this car perfectly now but I'd still wanted PDC.

Does servotronic make that much of notice in parallel parking? I never even considered it and find this parks as well as any other car.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The X3 is very easy to park IMO. Since there's not much overhang beyond the wheels, its easy to estimate the placement of the rear. For example, where the D pillar ends, is basically where the rear bumper is. So basically, you can back riiiiiiiiiiiiight up to that car behind you when parallel parking
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Go Phillies!

Mein Auto: 2014 X6 35i
You mentioned dogs...besides of adding to the look of the car (for me), I added the privacy glass for my pup. It helps w/ the warmth and the sun in his eyes.

Also, I know you said no to the bluetooth; however, in NJ they just changed the law to NO handheld phones and drivers can be pulled over for using them. You never know when your state could change their laws. Besides, bluetooth makes talking or answering on the phone convenient and safe. No fumbles.

As for the Xenons, my last X did not have them...and this X does--big difference: get 'em

Many Thanks:
X6 2011
335cxi M pkg 2008; 2009
335xi 2010
328xi 2007; 2004
X3 M pkg 2007; 2004
Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 PM

This is my first car with xenons, and it's taking me awhile to get used to driving with them. Since they let me see further, the line of light they create makes me bug out a bit. I guess wearing glasses and any glare doesn't help much either. But funny enough, if I turn the fog lights on, everything seems much better.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceX3 View Post
I have a manual transmission in my 2006 X3 and love it.
Is the terracotta interior hard to keep clean? It looks great by the way.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1953 Dodge Power Wagon
Does anybody know if the Tobacco/Black is available with the Comfort seat option?

dave
Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: '13 MINI JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeed View Post
Does anybody know if the Tobacco/Black is available with the Comfort seat option?

dave
Unless my dealer was yanking my chain, yes, it is. We got the Tobacco/Black interior but opted not to get the comfort seats. My wife has back problems and commutes about 170 miles a day in ours with the standard seats and she has no problems whatsoever. She does, however, use the seat heaters on an almost daily basis. Helps keep the back muscles loose. . .nice!

But yes, my dealer told us that the comfort seats were available in Tobacco.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '94 BMW 530i
Options

I'm also looking at an 08 X3 for ED.

I've read a few reviews which tout the comfort seats as a must have, but then you must have leather! Do the xenon headlights and upgrade the radio. The SAV package looks like a good mix, too. Fred (new kid on the block).
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Dolder View Post
I'm also looking at an 08 X3 for ED.

I've read a few reviews which tout the comfort seats as a must have, but then you must have leather! Do the xenon headlights and upgrade the radio. The SAV package looks like a good mix, too. Fred (new kid on the block).
I don't feel the Comfort seats are a necessity. I actually prefer the Sport packet and sport seats, but those also require leather. On the upside, there are a couple of Priority One leather colors available which would differentiate an X3 from the rest of X3s out there.