Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
No, you had that right, just that all the engine warranties were engine oil lubricated parts only. Which covers the interior engine parts, but not the outside parts.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: higher mile m3
every month something has gone wrong. I am really sick of this
Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_INHALE View Post
every month something has gone wrong. I am really sick of this
Maybe you just got unlucky. So far my M3 has been solid. *knock on wood* My Parents have a 2000 Outback and my wife has an 01 Outback. My parent's car has had a lot of problems, including a couple tranny replacements. If that was the only Subaru I ever had I would think the company was no good. My wife's Outback has only needed the AC compressor changed, and that's because she insists on running it 24/7/365. Other then that our Outback hasn't had one issue.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: Future 98-99 E36 M3
For those issues he listed earlier (DJ_INHALE), I would definitely blame it on unluckiness.

I've seen maintenance issues and problems concerning the E46, but all those things adding up constantly (not to mention it appears as if the car is continuing to be problematic), is more of a possibly lemon car that isn't generally representative of the Ms as a whole.

Yes it will cost money to maintain this car (IMO more than an ordinary DD car), but that's just how it is. For the type of car it is, you pretty much have to shell out the extra cash to keep it happy. In turn, hopefully you enjoy a great and fun driving experience.

As with any line of cars however, there will be cars that just fail to operate correctly. And for the ones here who happen to be in that situation, I just hope the problems go away one way or the other.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Mustang GT w/ 295 hp
Yes, thanks guys, I understand that, and that is why my budget is the way it is and set at 24k ish. I always like to keep a safe amount of money in the bank for unexpected repairs and whatnot, so I wasnt clear what was going to be needing replacement from when this was said; "Its a high performance car, so just dont get it if you dont want to fix it". I mean, I can handle and understand the obvious things, I just dont wanna have to pay for a brand new engine after 80k miles because its a high performance engine and will blow by then (clearly exaggerated, just making a point). Right now I get 10-12 mpg average in MY high performance car driving under 2k rpms most of the time, but I also do the whole change the tires since they wear easy and use good oil for all changes ever 3k miles or so. Right now I'm using 20 Inch Kumho Ecsta SPT and I have become quite fond of them, so I think id continue to use them along with their price of $300 a piece, which I dont know if thats as much as you all spend, but they seem to be perfect for my occational fun sessions and my day to day driving. Short of insurance I am already dealing with the proposed problems. But thanks guys, you've been a huge help and I think I have gotten all of the answers to the questions I kept asking myself =)

Last edited by FloridaMan; 07-07-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 335i - Ti Silver
Ive had my car a year and have had a few problems.

'03 Coupe
HAd some sort of ignition/coil problem. Fixed under warranty.
Recently my sunroof was opening on its on. This one was maddening. I took it in over 5 times over the course of a month. Finally figured out the problem and fixed it.
Soon there after i noticed my rearview mirror was messed up...i think those are $500.

During this time, i had already made the decision to sell/trade my car. Not because of problems (i love it, warts and all), but because my needs have changed, but kept getting delayed due to the sunroof issue.

LAst Friday i take the car to CARMAX and get an appraisal which i think im going to take when i find a car i want. Saturday evening im driving around with the wife when all of a sudden the car shudders, sounds funny and service engine light comes on. I pull over pretty much immediately. White smoke is coming out of the tailpipe. Call BMW Assist. They send a towtruck. Long story short, the DME was bad, dumped fuel into one of the cylinders, and now they think my engine is wrecked. Oh Man.

THIS is why i REALLy like the CPO and for me its worth it. We will see how it goes with this major issue. The Service Advisor, said they had to "talk to BMW and see what they wanted to do".