Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
PTG's Official Announcement at last

2/13/2003 - BMW TEAM PTG RETURNS TO COMPETITION IN 2003 SCCA PRO RACING SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE

WINCHESTER, Va. (February 13, 2003) - Tom Milner, president of Prototype Technology Group, announced today that BMW Team PTG, following a year's absence, will return to sports-car competition in the 2003 SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge Championship.

BMW Team PTG will field two BMW M3 coupes in the GT Class of this series for production-based race cars, which features 50-minute sprint races and a weight-equalization system based on a competitor's finishing position in each race. This will be BMW Team PTG's first entry into the series.

"The entire BMW Team PTG is, of course, excited to be back in competition with the BMW M3 after sitting out a season of racing," said Milner. "It's also a new challenge for us to compete in a series with unique regulations. You really lay it all on the line in 50 minutes. Instead of a marathon, it's like the 100 meters. But, if you're the fastest man in the world at 100 meters and you win the race, at the next event you'll be given a backpack with 10 pounds in it and we'll see if you're still the fastest."

The SCCA Speed World Challenge rules provide a 40-pound weight addition for a win, down to zero pounds for a fourth-place finish. The fifth-place finisher may remove five pounds for the next event. A 12th-place finish in the next race will allow the 40 pounds to be removed for the following event.

Driving the M3s for BMW Team PTG will be Bill Auberlen, 34, of Hermosa Beach, Calif., and Boris Said, 40, of Carlsbad, Calif. Auberlen has driven for Team PTG in GT sports-car competition since 1996, and Said since 1995, when the team first entered sports-car racing with the BMW M3.

Auberlen is the 1997 SportsCar GT-3 driversí champion and the 2002 Grand-Am GT-class champion. Said holds championships in several series, including his most recent, the 2002 Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich Tires Cup.

"I have the highest confidence in Bill and Boris. I think their records with BMWs and other cars they've raced in other years speak for themselves," added Milner. "And they're certainly not new to this series."

Said has 46 starts in World Challenge, with two wins, 10 top-three finishes, and 20 top fives. Auberlen has three starts, finishing in the top 10 in all, including one victory and two top fives.

The other challenge the team will face is competing on stock Toyo tires, as required under the series' rules. The SCCA Speed World Challenge BMW M3 will have the same outside dimensions as a stock M3, with the tire fitting inside the production wheel well. The M3's suspension parts will be stock, but the 3.2-liter, in-line 6-cylinder engine will be modified, as it was in the GT class of the American Le Mans Series. The World Challenge M3 will be 75 percent stock, producing 420 horsepower, approximately 90 more than a production M3.

"We are excited that BMW Team PTG will be campaigning a production version of the M3 coupe," said Tom Salkowsky, Motorsports Manager for BMW of North America, LLC. "I know the entire PTG team is very excited about returning to competition. The Speed World Challenge has been a growing race series in the U.S, where BMW teams have been competing for years in both Touring and GT. In addition, we have tremendous confidence in both Bill Auberlen and Boris Said. It will be great to see them back in M3s."

To date, the BMW M3 has won 13 SCCA Speed World Challenge events and one GT driversí championship with Jeff McMillin in 2000. In total, BMWs, including the M3, 325is, 328is and 328Ci models, have won 33 World Challenge races in both GT and Touring since 1991. BMW was the 2001 Speed Touring Car manufacturers' champion.

In seven years of North American sports-car racing in SportsCar and American Le Mans Series competition, the BMW M3 has scored 38 pole positions and 39 wins in 72 races, collecting 14 championships along the way.

The 2003 SPEED World Challenge Series opens on March 14, at Sebring International Raceway, in Sebring, Fla. The 50-minute race begins at 4:25 p.m. Speed Channel is scheduled to air the SPEED GT Championship race on Saturday, March 29, at 5 p.m. ET.

From the RaceSite

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2003, 07:04 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Quote:
The other challenge the team will face is competing on stock Toyo tires, as required under the series' rules. The SCCA Speed World Challenge BMW M3 will have the same outside dimensions as a stock M3, with the tire fitting inside the production wheel well. The M3's suspension parts will be stock, but the 3.2-liter, in-line 6-cylinder engine will be modified, as it was in the GT class of the American Le Mans Series. The World Challenge M3 will be 75 percent stock, producing 420 horsepower, approximately 90 more than a production M3.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 02-24-2003, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
This series is great, and I'm looking forward to seeing the BMW team in action.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 03-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Old Timer

Mein Auto: Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire
what do the 911 GT3Rs look like this year? they already demonstrated their durability at the 24 hours of daytona.

if they upped their compression, that means they have same HP, but still more torque, restrictor plates or not. their blocks also have room for going from 3.6 to 3.8 while we know BMW has zero room to punch out the M54.

(they still better beat those porsches)
Old 03-01-2003, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pdz
what do the 911 GT3Rs look like this year? they already demonstrated their durability at the 24 hours of daytona.

if they upped their compression, that means they have same HP, but still more torque, restrictor plates or not. their blocks also have room for going from 3.6 to 3.8 while we know BMW has zero room to punch out the M54.

(they still better beat those porsches)
When we visited PTG with the 'CCA the technician was talking about something somewhat higher than 420 HP. I think he was saying more like 450. They are very impressed with the S54 and think it should create more power than the S50. I don't thin Porsche has done anything to the GT3 cars. They should be able to go to a bigger engine if they need to. I'm sure they don't think they need to.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 03-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveT
When we visited PTG with the 'CCA the technician was talking about something somewhat higher than 420 HP. I think he was saying more like 450. They are very impressed with the S54 and think it should create more power than the S50. I don't thin Porsche has done anything to the GT3 cars. They should be able to go to a bigger engine if they need to. I'm sure they don't think they need to.
wasn't the issue, though, that since the porsches have more displacement, that even though they are "hobbled" by restrictor plates to some degree, that they have more torque coming out of turns?

this is why the v8, only a 4.0litre variant, was so phenomenal. more so because of grunt than peak HP. and this is why i think porsche has an advantage if they can punch out to 3.8litres. even if they are restricted by airflow,t hey still have cubic inches to move the car.

that was all i was alluding to; i hope the PTG engine development program can overcome something like this becaues BMW has absolutely no room to grow the engine at all.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pdz
wasn't the issue, though, that since the porsches have more displacement, that even though they are "hobbled" by restrictor plates to some degree, that they have more torque coming out of turns?

this is why the v8, only a 4.0litre variant, was so phenomenal. more so because of grunt than peak HP. and this is why i think porsche has an advantage if they can punch out to 3.8litres. even if they are restricted by airflow,t hey still have cubic inches to move the car.

that was all i was alluding to; i hope the PTG engine development program can overcome something like this becaues BMW has absolutely no room to grow the engine at all.
You are absolutiely correct. In a previous visit to PTG, Tom Milner explained the engine restrictions and the conclusion is; run as big an engine as you can. Look at the success of the Viper with it's 8 L engine. The Corvette came in with a 5 L engine and despite the adjustments allowed had to run the larger (I think) 7 L to be competitive. I won't get into the V8 issue here.

My point was that there is more power to be had from the S54 than the S50. Even when PTG has raced the E46 with the 6, in ALMS GT (before the V8), or Jeff McMillin in WCGT, they've always used the S50 because it didn't require any development. Now they are developing the S54 and it's producing more power than the S50. PTG with their expertise and now resources from BMWNA will find more power there and perhaps get closer to the GT3. I think you can also see Tom already talking about the success rewards (weight) program of the WCGT. What we don't see is the political discussion going on behind the scenes to make sure your car doesn't get short changed in this. Tom Milner will certainly participate in that process, just like Porsche continues to.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 03-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Old Timer

so, the issue was that last time out before the PTG switched to v8's, that they were not investing adequate amounts of time to get more power out of the inline six compared to now?

i'm still worried about the GT3R advantage because pound for pound they're still up on power.

i know the PTG cars handle a lot better, but they weren't even close, really, pre-v8 iterations.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pdz
so, the issue was that last time out before the PTG switched to v8's, that they were not investing adequate amounts of time to get more power out of the inline six compared to now?

i'm still worried about the GT3R advantage because pound for pound they're still up on power.

i know the PTG cars handle a lot better, but they weren't even close, really, pre-v8 iterations.
Don't forget, when they first ran an E46 M3 in the ALMS with the 6 in 2000, the M3 really didn't exist. They were building the car from scratch and just chose to use the S50 engine. Jeff McMillin was respectable last year using a PTG built S50 engine. I agree the GT3 has more power than the M3 because it's a bigger engine. That's the way Porsche wants it. The GT3 has better aerodynamics also. I'm hoping the M3 will be closer so the better handling of the M3 will pressure the GT3. There is also a brake issue between the GT3 and the M3, in that the GT3 guys have been running full race brakes and the M3 hasn't. There were also complications with ABS. Again, the guys at PTG were saying that the SCCA hadn't given it enough attention, but they will.

All these loopholes, that Porsche works continuously to gain an advantage, have gotten away a bit since BMW/PTG were not involved officially. It should be very interesting.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 03-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveT
Don't forget, when they first ran an E46 M3 in the ALMS with the 6 in 2000, the M3 really didn't exist. They were building the car from scratch and just chose to use the S50 engine. Jeff McMillin was respectable last year using a PTG built S50 engine. I agree the GT3 has more power than the M3 because it's a bigger engine. That's the way Porsche wants it. The GT3 has better aerodynamics also. I'm hoping the M3 will be closer so the better handling of the M3 will pressure the GT3. There is also a brake issue between the GT3 and the M3, in that the GT3 guys have been running full race brakes and the M3 hasn't. There were also complications with ABS. Again, the guys at PTG were saying that the SCCA hadn't given it enough attention, but they will.

All these loopholes, that Porsche works continuously to gain an advantage, have gotten away a bit since BMW/PTG were not involved officially. It should be very interesting.
ah, you answered it all right there. i forgot they used an S50-based motor two/three years ago.

i bet all things being equal the BMWs will outbrake the GT3Rs any day and be more stable entering a turn, too.