Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SOLD
passport 9500i

I got the 9500i for fathers day !! So I installed it low on the windshield, in the "designated area" without the metallic tint. The GPS function takes about a minute to lock into the satellites, but I am wondering if that is due to the metallic tint.

I love it. The GPS functions really add a lot in my opinion. It remembers speedtraps, and gives me my speed at all times as well. I am not really getting too many false alarms.
Will post updates...
Ads by Google
Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
i have the previous 8500, and when i got the 745, my range had drastically been reduced... ive tried to mount the detector up high in the "open area" of the windshield, however im still experiencing bad performance... is this common for the 7?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 AM

the metallic tint is designed to reflect some of the sunlight, and I imagine it affects how much the cockpit radar detectors can detect thru the windshield. one way around this problem would be the external radar sensors that are mounted on the grille....my 9500's range seems to be pretty good (but I am comparing to a much older radar detector)
Old 06-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I had a Passport 8500...

On my last road trip, just for sh!ts and giggles, we had 2 radar detectors running(trying to beat last record of San Jose to Los Angeles in 3.5hrs). I had the Passport 8500 on the front windshield and my friend's Valentine1 on the rear. I was surprised to see how the V1 outperformed my Passport. The V1 picked up KA bands way before my passport did! And this was for a CHP in front of me where the Passport was mounted. The next weekend, I eBayed my Passport and got a V1.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745LI, 06 911, 07Shlby
radar detectors in 7's....two tint cut-outs

there is a trapazoidal tint cutout on the BOTTOM ( in addition to the top) of the windshield ( about 4 in high and 6-7 inches wide), located midpoint between the two dash humps. I have three passport 8500s in various vehicles and the performance in my 745LI seems comparable with the 8500 hardwired where described above. You need good light/eyes to find it, but once you locate the cutout, you will recognize it.

bob
Old 07-02-2007, 07:58 PM

the 9500i beeps a LOT less on Auto mode compared to City or Highway mode. It is speed dependent, and filters out likely false signals at low speeds.

I just got back from a 1000 mile trip and the Passport worked flawlessly, although it lost the GPS lock a few times in cloudy conditions ( only for a few seconds at a time). The "heads-up" GPS driven "true-speed" display is a great feature. If you have aftermarket rims/tires, your odometer is likely not accurate anymore because of the smaller/larger diameter of the wheel.

Also, it does not matter which direction the police signal is coming from...the response is the same once you get an alert.