Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Give him the M3 and put a rev limiter behind his back.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBowden View Post
So you have already taken away the M3 from your 10 year old?

I mean stupid stuff with the car, smartypants!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:28 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
My first car was a 74 Opel Manta...this was 1991. It had very little power and was great. My next car was a 69 Cougar with a 351 and 3 speed manual tranny on the floor. I'm lucky to be alive. I was considered to be a "good kid", but I loved getting behind the wheel of my mom's Mazda Protege and winding it out when no one was with me.

I realize Opels are few and far between now, but I think a 4 cylinder pickup truck (pick your flavor - Toyota, Ranger, S10, etc) is a great first vehicle. They are readily available and extrememly reliable because of their mechanical simplicity. Relatively new models are cheap because they are underpowered and no one else wants them. A standard cab model can only carry 3 people inside. Maintenance, fuel, insurance and everything is relatively inexpensive as well.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunginM3 View Post
I've always told my son that if he got good grades, and didnt smoke that he'd get to pick out a decent car. It started out with a 00 civic si, and some how ended up coming to a 1995 bmw m3. Ive drivin several bmw's, but never an m3. Is it too much power for a brand new driver?
That's asking too much of a 16 year old. Just the showing off factor may get him killed.

Get a new Honda Civic sedan or coupe with 5-speed. Quick, fun to drive, economical, and safe as houses. Cheap to buy, cheap to run and maintain, yet it won't get him sneered at by his friends.

Check this out as far as safety goes... It shows the 2007 cars in order of how safe they are, based on every available rating. You want a new car with all the safety bells and whistles instead of an older model because if he wads it up, he may still walk away from it...

Bruce
Old 06-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 535i
My first car at 16 was a 3000GT VR4. (My parent's great idea of rewarding me of the good grades and decent behavior thus far in life)
BAD IDEA...........
Within a year or two, there wasn't a single insurance company who wanted to insure me, other than the government ran ones. I had to pay $787 a month for year and a half before anyone(Nationwide) decided to take a chance. That's right, 787 a MONTH to insure myself with an Accord. (I wanted a Supra and they told me $1220/mo)
I had horrifying driving record that will take any cop who pulled me over at least 5 minutes just to find the latest entry.
I'll tell you a funny story... I grew up in Chicago, and I wento pick up a friend from a metro station in UIC campus. I had to make circles because there really isn't a parking lot and no lane for loading and unloading. I made an illegal u-turn along the way and was pulled over. The cop who pulled me over went back to her cruiser, and came back 5 minutes later said "You are a horrible driver!! I don't even know what to do with you..." threw my license, and left.
Was I a troublemaker? other than driving, far from it. Had excellent grades, and didn't smoke either(at the time at least). I know that it took a LONG~ time to fix everything up, and still regret every bit of it.
Not everyone gets into the type of trouble I had, but kids and fast cars are not a good match.

What do I know anyway?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: euro m3
your stupid for asking

when i heard this i couldnt help thinking you where stupid firstly hows he gona insure maintain and run in,secondly giving your 16 boy son an m3 would be like wrapping a machine gun for the columbine teenage murders for theyre birthday if you incredibly stupid by him an m3
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dainjah View Post
when i heard this i couldnt help thinking you where stupid firstly hows he gona insure maintain and run in,secondly giving your 16 boy son an m3 would be like wrapping a machine gun for the columbine teenage murders for theyre birthday if you incredibly stupid by him an m3
Wow. What a very well written response. It's nice to see people with such a high opinion of others' ability to control themselves...

Insults are something you seem to be good at.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: E36's
Only YOU know if your son is responsible enought to handle an M3. There's some 16 yrs out there (very few) that are mature and have the intelligence to handle a "sport" car. Some member including the OP stated an 00 Civic SI would be a good choice. If you value price (cost of maintainance, insurance, etc.) over safety then you have made a very bad decision. I would rather have my son/daughter involved in an accident in a BMW instead of a Honda ANYDAY....

If you want to bring him into the BMW family, I recommend you start him in a E36 325 or 328. They're not M3, but gives him the "training" on how to handle an Inline6 and also would prepare him for an M3.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:36 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavet5308 View Post
I think a 4 cylinder pickup truck (pick your flavor - Toyota, Ranger, S10, etc) is a great first vehicle. They are readily available and extrememly reliable because of their mechanical simplicity. Relatively new models are cheap because they are underpowered and no one else wants them. A standard cab model can only carry 3 people inside. Maintenance, fuel, insurance and everything is relatively inexpensive as well.
Only downside is that trucks are built to lower safety standards, so you are getting your kid, who is more likely to have an accident, a vehcile that they are less likely to survive an accident while driving. Doesn't make sense to me.

Nice E30 makes more sense.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 99 TechnoViolet M3 Coupe
Yes.

I have a small, sad collection of stories where young kids (under 21) have driven M3's (E36 and E46) irresponsibly and either killed themselves and/or other people. If you're lucky, only the car will be hurt. If you're not, ...
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: euro m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Wow. What a very well written response. It's nice to see people with such a high opinion of others' ability to control themselves...

Insults are something you seem to be good at.
LOL
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328ci
This is almost hard to say but im 19 and when I was 16 I was given a s70 volvo. Inline 5 and had enough if not more than enough power for me and im thankful i wanst given any bmw (too many accidents) and my last accident allowed me to get a 328ci. Hit a deer and totaled it got enough insurnace money and saved enough to get a 2000 328 and it has more than enough power for me still and yet i drive like a grandma because the car is sooo beautiful i dont wanna wreck in this one
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e36 m3
Thumbs up watch out

my first bmw was 325 ix 1988 then i got 535 i 1992 then 328is 1995 after that i have the nicest and the most powreful american spec M3 e36 1999 3.2 with dinan performance stage II.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
The really scary thing is that in about 5 years, or less, we will have the same questions about a 16 year old and an E46 M3. THAT is scary. Heck most adults can't really deal well with them.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: hopefully a 1999 m3 coupe
my parents had the right idea when they bought me a practically indestructible 1972 Olds 88 as my first car damn thing was a tank. my father said "if he can drive and not crash this land yacht...... he will be ready to drive anything" I'll tell ya it did make me respect the road you had to constantly check to see where you were because of the sheer size of the car, so when i bought a 1994 BMW318 it was driving an remote controlled car.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Convertible
Yep. Please have a look at http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ostemailedlink

This story is about a wreck that happened just a couple of blocks from our house this past weekend. The car was an Acura RSX, and the driver and passengers are some kids 14-16 that are friends of our own kids in the neighborhood. The driver (16) was urged on by his buddies to push the limits, and two of them are still in the Maryland Shock-Trauma hospital for serious to critical injuries.

For all the good intentions in the world, 16 year-old kids need time to mature behind the wheel. How about making the M3 a reward for reaching 18 without any mishaps instead? This situation is every parent's worst nightmare - please think twice about it.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
The mere fact that you are even tinkering with the idea of giving your 16 year old son an M3 clearly demonstrates how brainless you are. Once he has the M3, I strongly suggest you go buy him a 9mm at the local gun store as a car jacking deterrant.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to James740
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 740iL
prolly....not. maybe he's very mature. Mind you, i'm being hypoctical. i'm still driving my first car, i bought an E38, biiig engine. your call.

1995 BMW 740iL

Premium Sound
Cold Wthr Pckg
All Season Traction (ASC+T)
Comfort Seats

Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
No, it's just another car. Maybe he hates BMW. It's not HP in question here, it's whether your son is responsible kid or not.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
It's not that big a deal. I had an E36 325i when I was 16. After 9 years of driving and a couple hundred thousand miles, I've never really been in an accident. (Unless you count one smallish dent when a woman drove into the front fender of my old M3, or a 10MPH collision when someone ran a stop sign in front of me in the 325xiT.)

You just have to be prepared to take it away.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3 - Avus Blue
Deeper Question Maybe...

Aside from the safety/responsbility issues (it may be too much car for the average 16 year old), I think there may be a deeper question here.

I am 21 years old, and just purchased myself a 95 M3 less than a month ago.

When I got my license, my parents didn't buy me a car. I was allowed to drive the family car (93 Dodge Caravan), but I had to pay for the difference between the cost of the insurance policy before I was added and after.

When I got tired of this (after I started college), I bought myself a 92 Geo Metro for $400.00. Again, I had to pay for the car, and all insurance and maintainence costs. This car served me well, and I drove it for almost a year.

Right before I graduated college the first time (with an Associates), my father bought me an 85 325e for $1000.00 as an early graduation present. I had always wanted a BMW, and when I found it for sale, I was very excited. I didn't ask him to buy me this car though, I only asked him to spot me the $1000.00 and pick it up because I was out of town and didn't want someone else to buy the car. I intended on paying the money back shortly. When I tried to pay him back, he wouldn't take the money and told me that it was my graduation gift. Needless to say, I still had to pay for insurance and maintenance.

That brings it to today. As I said, I just bought a 95 M3. I definitely feel that I appreciate the car more after having the experience of buying and maintaining my other cars. I feel as thought I worked up to it. I didn't buy it until I could afford it, and I plan to keep it for a while and take good care of it.

The M3 is a dream car for many people. I know it was for me, and when I realized I was able to afford one, I was ecstatic. I think if you buy your son this nice of a car as a first vehicle, he won't have the chance to learn what it feels like to work for something and earn something. I would rather see young people have a sense that they need to earn what they have, rather than being entitled to it. My advice to you is to get him a reasonable car that is safe and maybe a little sporty, but make sure that he has a vested interest in taking care of the car and keeping it it on the road (e.g. maybe paying for some of the insurance and maintenance).

I didn't mean to talk so much about myself, and by no means do I mean to question your methods of parenting. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read my advice.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to James740
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 740iL
Bill, Bill, Bill...
very valid, the post in all. Granted i had no other cars, i did buy the 740 myself after much hard work, and pay for everything myself. I worked while my mates would be going out in their cars-granted, but after several years, i had a BMW. I think Bill here has some valid points.

1995 BMW 740iL

Premium Sound
Cold Wthr Pckg
All Season Traction (ASC+T)
Comfort Seats

Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i, 1997 528i
I have a 16 year old son, and I sold him my 1997 528i when he got his license. The deal I made with him was that if he'd help me do some necessary maintenance (change transmission fluid and filter, replace valve cover gasket, replace the water pump, radiator and hoses. etc.), that I'd sell it to him for $2500.00. It had 163K on it at the time, but was very well maintained. He did help me, and he did pay the $2500 for it. I bought myself a 2002 530i (manual) to replace it, so it was a win/win.

He's been very responsible with it. No speeding tickets, etc. He takes pride in the car, keeps it clean, and drives it (for the most part) like a grandmother. He did "test the limits" one time by taking it up to 120 on a straight road near our house, but a 16 year old boy is going to test the limits of any car you give them (hence, my doubt that an M3 is the right care for a 16 y.o.). However, he did confess his sin to me shortly after he did it, and I think it got it out of his system (until he gets his next car and has to "test" it, too). He also had one minor accident, but it had nothing to do with the fact that he was driving a BMW. He could have been driving a tank and the same thing would have happened (only the damage would have been to the other guy's car, not his). He "bumped" a car ahead of him and busted his right headlight, but a small dent in the fender, and a small crack in the bumper. No damage was done to the other car, and no police were involved. It scared the crap out of him. He and I fixed it (for the most part), and he learned a very valuable lesson.

My 15 year old son is now learning to drive. My wife and I just bought his dream car, a 1990 Nissan 300zx (non-turbo). It's my wife's car, but if he proves himself to be sufficiently mature, we'll sell it to him for probably around $4500.00 (it's immaculate and has only 55K miles). I'm more worried about him having this car than I was my older son having the 528i, but I've got about a year to see if my middle son can be trusted with the Z.

I think that one of the things a kid needs is to have some investment in the car (both financial, and "sweat equity.") That way, they understand what the car costs not only to acquire, but also to maintain. If they understand that, then they're less likely to be stupid with the car. Stupid is not only expensive, it hurts (and sometimes kills).

Having said all of this, I do think an M3 is too much car for a 16 y.o. I agree that the "image" of the vehicle is one that will tempt him to do stupid things, and the car is very capable of putting him into deep trouble. My middle son wants a ///M car, too, but there's no way he's going to have one before I do!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
You SOLD it to your son? Some people sells and some people gives, I guess its the differences in parenting.

So which is better?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
<3series.

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i 5MT
I'm 19 years old right now and my first was going to be an M3 at the age of 16. My parents were gonna buy me an E36 M3 but I decided I was going to wait it out for some reason, I just can't remember. I'm glad I waited till I was 18 to buy my first BMW which was an 01 BMW 325i and I don't regret it. You imagine the "what ifs" and what not. Having a nice sports car such as an M3 at early age could be nice but some temptations occur such as racing, tickets and etc.

Also what BillaKay^ said earlier, he won't learn to appreciate what he has. I mean he did get good grades and what not, I say you maybe wait till graduation. Shoot, I did.