Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 m3 1993 325i
Yes, go ahead. I have a 95 M3. Do you live in Tucson? Can I buy the car after the wreck? I could use the door panels and passenger door parts, please.

Just kidding. You raised your kid. Is he the responsible calm type, or the racing hot dog? If he is not totally responsible, don't do it.

Myself, I gave my daughter my e36 325i, but I am still teaching her to drive. She has been the perfect daughter, never in trouble. But in life, there is the compromise of giving her a big protective car with no abilities that gets 9.5 mpg, or an agile, fun, sporty, 24mpg car she won't be ashamed of.

Hopefully when he says "I would've died to drive an M3 at sixteen", it would be just a saying.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i6
i'd say get it. my first car when i was 16 was a 78 jaguar with a supercharged 383 stroker engine. i never wrecked it. now you give me a rail buggy with 115hp and i ran that into a tree. i've always had cars in the 250-700whp range and it's all in the training. if he knows how to drive, he'll be more responsible. and even if he's now, he knows how to handle most of the circumstances.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The really scary thing is that in about 5 years, or less, we will have the same questions about a 16 year old and an E46 M3. THAT is scary. Heck most adults can't really deal well with them.
Five years from now? Don't read E46Fanatics much, do you?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Well, we had a few on i1, but the numbers will be going up in a few years as more young people can afford them.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 528i
Have you thought of buying him a 318is with ///M bodykit etc? it offers the sporty feel without the real power. My friend had one for his first car, and he still got all the looks from other new drivers (and girls which your sons going to want) without killing himself. Even with his foot to the floor it really doesn't have that boost to kill yourself, also offering the BMW safety.

I learned in a manual Toyota corolla and from personal experience it's excellent to learn first off in a manual. Understanding the way an engine works, and really getting a feel for the way the engine will respond with increased power etc.

Bottom line: M3 is too much. He IS going to be peer pressured into driving it hard, and will cop' flack for driving it like a ***** (assuming hes responsible).
Old 07-29-2007, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Think back. How would you have driven an M when you were 16? My answer would be NO!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunginM3 View Post
Is it too much power for a brand new driver?
Simply, yes. I would look for a similar vintage 3 series with the smallest engine available that year.
Have a good BMW mechanic put a throttle stop on it at about 2/3 throttle. Tell your son if he stays accident free for a year, you'll remove the stop... two years and you'll help him buy a newer, more capable car... as he becomes a more capable driver.
In the meantime, some used M dress-up items (bumper cover, wheels/tires, exhaust) might be apt rewards for good grades.
As he "earns" his way into a better ride, he'll appreciate it much more than if you just toss him the keys.
Mike
Old 08-16-2007, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: euro m3
so there you have it, all of these responces to your quesytion about buying an m3 for you 16 year old. Im really intrested to know what you have done whats the score. has he got it or not
Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Admiral-Awesome
Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325is
My first car was a 1988 325is with the full sport package and it was literally worth about $3000 when I got it--it was fun to drive, it got attention, had great fuel economy it was sturdy and never gave me any big issues. I believe a solid E30 is an absolute perfect first car--it's a true classic, really. After he shows you how responsible he can be in something like that-then get him an M3 on his way to college. He will appreciate it more, he will be more experienced, and will take certain learning aspects of owning a BMW towards the new car, meaning a longer vehicle life and a better return on your investment.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 AW 1M,1963 Impala SS
After spending more than a year on MY350Z.com, it is my belief that inexperienced drivers and powerful RWD cars just don't match...

I wouldn't get him that car. I'd recommend a nice FWD car and a little modification budget.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Acura MDX
Forget it, no matter what he says he will on occasion drive it like a maniac. If you do go forward with it, I'd recommend you put one of those GPS nannies on it so you can monitor his speed, driving habits and location. If he abuses then pull the keys no questions and no explanations, sell the car and donate the proceeds to MADD or some other worthy organization.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: e46 vert
I'd say its all in the son. Our 95 M3 first came into the family when I was 15. I drove it then entire time I had my permit with my parents in the car. When I got my license I was offered the M3 but turned it down for an 87 535is with 200k miles. I almost wrecked that one the day after I got my license.

After a few months the 535is was sold and replaced with a MINI Cooper S (quick and reliable, stability control). After almost a year it was traded in on a 97 M3. I drove the 97 for two years/25k miles (17-19 years old) and never crashed it or got a speeding ticket. Of course it got "tested" (130mph under the cover of night on an empty interstate) but overall I was very responsible.

The only close call I ever had was with brand new summer tires in March. On a cool night I was making a left from a stop sign and ended doing a 180. I learned after that one to be extremely careful. One thing people don't realize is that the handling/braking and inherent safety of an M3 are major attributes of a car for a new driver.

I would say that he definitely learns how to drive, does a high performance driving event or two, and knows what hes gotten himself into.
2006 Cooper S (traded)
1999 528i (traded)
1987 535is 5 Speed cinnaberot (sold)
1971 LR Series 2a (in pieces)
1969 MGB GT (sold)
1997 M3/4 (traded)
2003 Cooper S (traded)
1987 535is 5 speed royalblau (sold)
1995 M3 (sold)
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing at the moment
Lol 78 olds 88 man that thing is a tank and a half, no aluminum there just heavy ass steel, and i think 16 is too young as well, young men are inherently stupid between the ages of 14 and 18 when it comes to cars girls and danger, its in our blood.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: E38, E39, E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
No, it's just another car. Maybe he hates BMW. It's not HP in question here, it's whether your son is responsible kid or not.
I agree completely.

If you feel confident in your son's good judgement and level of responsibility, I don't see why it would be a crazy idea. You know him, we don't; you can judge whether he's mature enough to handle it, we can't.

And anyway, an E36 M3 seriously isn't some kind of fire-breathing, tire-shredding, raging monster of a car. It's quick, but the benchmark of "fast" cars has long since moved on over the past decade. It'll keep a teenager entertained, but you can go out to the local highschool parking lot and see much faster cars in the hands of kids who may very well be much less responsible. May some of them be injured or killed? Sure, but that's likely due to their parents making a poor judgement about their child's lack of good judgement. Are you confident enough in your son is what the question really is?

Personally, I'm glad I started off with a "fast" car, as it gave me an early respect for and appreciation of high performance cars and what a mess power can get you into if you don't keep your wits about you. I think of it as "diving into the deep end," where you either sink or swim. I managed to stay afloat and am better off for the experience, but there are many who Darwin weeds out, to put it very bluntly and callously. With common sense, reasonable judgement, a hearty self preservation instinct, and a big side of luck, it's quite possible to have an M3 as a first car and not only survive, but come away from the experience having learned a lot. I had an E36 M as my third car, and actually think it's a pretty good car to give to a newish driver compared to many cars of comparable performance. It's well mannered, has superb brakes, and good balance while maintaining a reassuringly safe amount of understeer. My first car was an early '90s Vettes, and while its ultimate performance was probably higher, a side effect was that it could be easily prodded into some very dangerous cornering attitudes at very high speeds for an inexperienced driver to deal with. In comparison, the M3 is benign.

I do suggest encouraging any young driver with a sporty car to get involved in some kind of motorsport, whether it's auto-x, HPDEs, etc., etc. I'm 20 and have just started participating in that, and starting this "late" may be the only thing I seriously regret. There are other overriding issues around that time in life that may be more important, but IMO the younger you start, the better.

Last edited by EaglEye; 08-25-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
I've always told my son that if he got good grades, and didnt smoke that he'd get to pick out a decent car. It started out with a 00 civic si, and some how ended up coming to a 1995 bmw m3. Ive drivin several bmw's, but never an m3. Is it too much power for a brand new driver?
You would be out of your friggin mind to get him that car. And I speak from experience being that I actually used to be a 16 year old boy. I would be dead if my mother had bought me an M3 at that reckless age. There are no boundaries for teenage boys. They are invincible in their own minds and truly beleive they can outrun the cops if needed. And if you buy your son an M3 he actually WILL be able to outrun cop cars. Not a good idea.
However if you decide to buy it for him, keep me in mind because I could use alot of interior parts from a 95 M3, and he'll be looking for extra money in about a week when he wraps it around a telephone pole. (If he's lucky)

-philip

Last edited by PhilipWOT; 08-27-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 99 m coupe
Im 23 and drive a 1999 M Coupe but first car was 1987 E30 M3 which is 4cyclinder and a different beast still quick but not silly however I know these cars are getting on a bit now and are hard to find. Have you considered a similar (age 1992 to say 1997) ALPINA B3 which are similar money but more refined or a good 325 328 Sport Coupe. If you go for the 1995 3.0 M3 its a good car and much more solid than later 3.2 M3s. I have owned both still prefer the 3.0 M3 with the 5 speed. Hope this helps.

Last edited by alex_mcoupe; 08-27-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Go Noles

Send a message via AIM to JCardsrule
Mein Auto: 02 M coupe & 04 330i ZHP
My first car ---> 1995 M3 at 16.

It was my dad's car and he sold it to me. I had held a part time job while in school and full time job in summer since I was 14. I had also been saving for a car since I was approximately 5 years old. I was always admiring porsches, jaguars, bmw's, etc. at a very young age and was told that I'd have to buy my first car! My parents weren't joking and when other kids would blow their xmas money on video games I'd put 1/2 of mine into the bank, etc.

The car was definitely fast, but it helped me avoid many accidents and I was sent to 3-4 BMW CCA driving schools and a school at the BMW performance center by the time I was 18 for good measure. I did get into a minor fenderbender within the first 4 months of having my license and driving on my own. That's it though. 23 now with an S54 M coupe and a 330i ZHP. Life is good! I'm blessed to have parents that passed on a passion for neat cars.

2004 330i ZHP - Imola Red / Black Alcantara
Performance: K&N Intake, OEM M3 Strut Brace
Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: Audi S3
Quote:
I've always told my son that if he got good grades, and didnt smoke that he'd get to pick out a decent car. It started out with a 00 civic si, and some how ended up coming to a 1995 bmw m3. Ive drivin several bmw's, but never an m3. Is it too much power for a brand new driver?
Yep, unless your planning to decrease the size of your family, i've been driving 10 years and still making my way slowly up the power ladder, if it's the look your after why not consider an M3 replica on the powertrain of a 316 or 318, M3 way too much power for a newby, wish i had a dad like you...... will you be my dad?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Go Noles

Send a message via AIM to JCardsrule
Mein Auto: 02 M coupe & 04 330i ZHP
The european cars are A LOT faster than the US spec cars. let's keep that in mind. nowadays a mazdaspeed 3 has more hp than an e36 m3.

2004 330i ZHP - Imola Red / Black Alcantara
Performance: K&N Intake, OEM M3 Strut Brace
Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Controversial - of course

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Am i crazy to get my 16 year old an M3??
Depends on the kid. My friend in high school had a Z28 - yes I know they are slower than an M3, but still, he was a great student even after the car and drove with some common sense. Zero wrecks, not an issue.

The odds are probably against you though IMO, most young Guys think of Cars & Sex 99% of the time and school 1% of the time.

Judgement call Pops. Good Luck !!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM

i should of also thought that the kid's over here in the UK are probably a lot slower in maturing than over int the US, so if you were a brit and asking the question, then my earlier comment would be justified. but if you son is mature, sensible, a good driver then i suppose go for it.

quick off topic question for you Jcardsrule, i'm just curious but how much difference are ther between european and us cars? take the e36 M3 evo for example?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_southward View Post
i should of also thought that the kid's over here in the UK are probably a lot slower in maturing than over int the US, so if you were a brit and asking the question, then my earlier comment would be justified. but if you son is mature, sensible, a good driver then i suppose go for it.
I'd say 16 is 16 regardless of nationality. I suppose the most mature are those who are being shot at in war torn areas of the world, or who are raising siblings following the unnatural death of a parent.

Most areas of the US or UK do not fit that description.

Of course, there's also the issue of biology. It's a scientifically proven fact that certain portions of the male brain (specifically those related to risk-taking) do not fully develop until the early 20s. I've seen otherwise sensible and fairly intelligent people defeated by their own biological instincts in the past. Some are better able to deal with that than others.

Quote:
quick off topic question for you Jcardsrule, i'm just curious but how much difference are ther between european and us cars? take the e36 M3 evo for example?
Well, the Euro market E36 M3 has 286 or 321 bhp, depending upon engine (S50B30 or S50B32) and vintage.

Meanwhile, the US model essentially uses a trumped-up M52 engine (the block found in the 328) instead of a proper Motorsport lump, and none make more than 240 hp.

That's not to say that the US car is slow - it retains a decent power to weight ratio, fairly short gearing and still has more than enough raw power to trap an inexperienced or reckless driver, especially with that limited slip out back. I had friends who used to plant 138 hp 318tis (automatics, even!) into trees.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 09-05-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Yeah your right, there's been all kind of things in the press and news over here rescently regarding young drivers and high powered vehicles, and different measures that "could" be put in place to reduce the number of accidents, and deaths of young people on the roads.
i'll put my hands upto this one, when i was 17 my first car was a ford escort xr3i, it was only a 1.6 8v with i think 115bhp at the fly wheel so probably about 90-95bhp at the wheels, this still caught me out on a wet road, spun me out and i hit a telegraph pole, next thing i remember was being in hospital the next day with my face covered on cuts, stitches, a broken arm and a shattered eye socket. had to fork out over 2000 for the telegraph pole. got away with my life.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 AM
<-NIKi

Send a message via AIM to ianiac Send a message via Yahoo to ianiac
Mein Auto: E36 M3
I'm eighteen and I say definatly no. My 328is is tempting enough for me still at times..
I plan to move up to an M in the spring when I turn 19.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to jconm3
Mein Auto: 1999 bmw m3
i got my m3 95' when i was 16 still have it running great im going on 19 years old now e36 m3s are great starter cars there easy to drive