Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
BIMMER DEVOTEE

Mein Auto: 335D, 550I
Tips on removing wood trim f 10

I removed and replaced all the interior wood trim and replaced it with a different color, in about an hour and a half, using only my hands, a small flat bladed screw driver and a torx 15 screw driver. The biggest secret to make the swap so easy for me, was having the replacement ones to see what and where the clips and attachments were. For those who want to refinish, cover or whatever, you don't have that luxury, so read on and look at the pictures below, and I'll bet you do fine. In all cases below, be sure ALL the little black metal clips are in the mounting surface hole, and NOT still on the trim tabs, BEFORE reassembly.

You CAN use a dash piece that has the other kind of start/on off switch arrangement, as the mounting screw holes in the trim DO line up and work on both version switches. If you are going from a trim piece from an auto stop/start car, to a car that isn't, you'll have to cover the hole under it. If you are going the other way, you'll have to cut out the bottom of the existing hole to make room, easily done with a Dremel tool or the like.

All the door pieces have a right angle at one end, that only allows you to pull it away from the door a little bit, about a half inch, and then you can see where the angle piece is, and remove the trim so as to not break it. BEFORE you can remove it completely, find the one and only silver metal clip, as pictured below. Use the little screw driver to push up on the bottom tab of this clip while pulling out on the trim to release it completely from the door.

The dash pieces don't have the right angle, but do have the sliver clip, so do the lift up thing to the bottom of the clip and the trim comes off easily. Use the 15 torx screw driver to remove and replace the switches etc.. I did disconnect the start button electrical plug, and got away with it, as the car was happy afterwards. I did NOT disconnect the electrical plugs on any other parts during the swap, as I was scared the BMW electrical/computer gremlins might appear.

The center console was easy too. Remove the obvious torx screw under the left flip up padded cover by the ash tray, and pick up on the back of the assembly pretty hard and then you will see the hook tabs at the back and move it accordingly to get access to remove all the screws to swap the switches controls etc.. There are no clips that require the screw driver assist on this piece.

The covers on the ash tray and the cup holder are a bit tricky, but very simple. You have to note where the group of five little lines are on the pictures below.The ash tray has one set and the cup holder two. They are actually barbs. They are higher at one end than the other. As you can see, the molded plastic tabs that hold the piece on are at right angles, so they need to slide a little bit AWAY FROM the open side to release the cover. To allow this to happen you have to insert the flat screw driver BETWEEN the trim and the black part, at the barbs and twist to separate or raise and release the barbs from the black part, so you can slide the cover just a little bit and release it. I suggest doing the ash tray first, so you get the feel of it before tackling the cup holder which has two sets of barbs. You only have to release one set at a time and it will come off. Reinstalling them is as simple as put the right angle tabs in the obvious holes and push down and slide at the same time until you feel the click, and you are done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 032.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	315392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	315393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 029.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	315394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 028.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	315395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 027.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	315396  

Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
dodgedieselguy

Where did you get your trim pieces and how do I go about refinishing them? I have a crack in the surface of my trim piece that goes across the passenger side dash and the shifter piece in from of the middle arm rest. This is obviously a design flaw and I'm sure others have the same problem. I'm sure that BWM wants hundreds for these two pieces!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 AM
BIMMER DEVOTEE

Mein Auto: 335D, 550I
Interior trim

I bought a complete interior set a different color, so I can't help you. I do still have a complete perfect set of the dark wood should you want that.

2011 F10 550I DEEP SEA BLUE WITH CINNAMON INTERIOR, BUILT 8/2010 WITH ZAV, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, ZSP, 2TB, 5DL, AND 610, WITH DINAN STAGE TWO!http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/imag...lies/thumb.gif
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I have an 2005 545i. Do you think that it will fit. Are you wanting to sell the complete set or just a couple of pieces?

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i XDrive (F10)
Thanks,
Very helpfull

2012 528i XDrive, Alpine White
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
That's awesome. I just purchased 08 550 and love the interior except the wood..I have plenty of Carbon Fiber but not sure if it will go well with the black interior..
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedieselguy View Post
I bought a complete interior set a different color, so I can't help you. I do still have a complete perfect set of the dark wood should you want that.
Where did you purchase the complete set and how much was it?