Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Injectors replacement and/or servicing DIY (E39)

Before getting into it, here is some background:
1.) Over time, the injector O-rings just like almost any rubber, will deform, loose elasticity, change some its properties. Some effects are deteriorated mpg (for some), or fuel leak for others. The lower mpg (I experienced it too) is due air geting sucked in - just like a vacuum leak. This can be tested with a COLD running engine (in the morning, first key) and some carb cleaner - spray it around the fuel rail, and if there is a rpm surge, you found it. Very simple. When the O-rings are gone, one is responsible for a lean condition, the other one will leak fuel (I thought I had the latter, but it wasn't true). If fuel leaks, or if you lose mpg due to injectors absorbing air (lean situation), new O-rings are the cure.
2.) For the M54B30 (applies to e39 530, e46 330, X5 3 liter, z3/z4 3liter)engines manufactured I believe up to 2006, there is another issue. It's the injector himself. It seems that the batch of Siemens VDO injectors for this particular engine will deform over time (ever so slightly), allowing the fuel to mist under the hood through the fuel rail, when the car is started in cold weather. The condition is a cold engine and temperatures below -20C (the car does not need to be parked outside, it's enough if the garage has the temp around 0C - 2C). Raw fuel smell will waft into the cabin a few minutes after starting to drive under these conditions. I witnessed myself the fuel mist/vapours coming out of the fuel rail. It's scary, because the engine has all kinds of electrical gizmos, and a small spark can be the end of the car's life (and maybe the driver too). I tried changing the O-rings, but it did not do the trick - I still had the raw fuel smell at cold starts and cold ambient temps. The mpg started to get back to normal though. Then I found out that BMW had an internal bulletin concerning those injectors, and there is a new batch of Siemens VDO injectors that apparently do not exhibit the deforming issue. This happens only when it's real cold, and the z series is driven mostly in warm weather, and until not too long ago, even the e39 were stored during winter (not me). More 330 had this issue, and lately the X5 with the i6 engine.

So here we go:

If you have a lean situation (mpg will start going down ever so slightly, but steady), you will need O-rings:

If you live where it's cold in the winter, and the O-rings didn't help, you need the improved Simens VDO injectors:

Remove the beauty cover (10mm). You will see the O2 sensors wires, just pull them out from the clip, set them aside, then pull the retaining clip out:

The next step is to take off 2 electrical connectors - one in front (vanos side), and one in the middle:

Now, you need to take off the long electrical connector box. This is where I had trouble, because the retaining clips are upside down, and very hard to take them off. After about 3-4 unsuccessful attempts, I figured it out. This is how they look:

Just slide one end/hook of the clip down (you don't need to take the whole clip out - that's the ticket)- here:

The last 2 electrical connections (close to the firewall), you have to slide the back side of the clip, the front side is in the way of the fuel rail skate where the screw is attached. And finally the electrical box comes out with a slight tug:

Now, before you take the fuel rail off, you need to relieve the gasoline pressure. There are 2 methods:
One is to use compressed air (if you have a compressor), set the compressor to about 30 psi max and give a short burst of pressure inside the front valve (take the cap off, and it will look similar to your tire valve stem - and works the same).
Another method is to use a small screwdriver and press the valve - fuel will come out, but not too much. Just wrap some rags around to contain the little gasoline that comes out - below are the pics:

Now you are ready to remove the screws. A good idea would be to use a magnet, because they can slide out, and fall in the engine bay, and not retrieve them anymore:

Once the screws are out, pull up on the fuel rail, and there she goes:

To take out the injectors and either replace them entirely, or only the O-rings (I would also go to a specialized shop and re-calibrate them. About 140-150 bux for 6 or 180-200 for 8. Including new O-rings, new filter and cleaning - with a detailed report), you need to pry off the retaining clip:

There is enough room on the fuel rail without needing to pull it out from the fuel line, so just pull out each injector. Here are side-by side new and old. They have different numbers stamped on them, they are very small (on the other side though):

And once an old one is out, replace with a new one:

I also cleaned the injector receptacle - it was really dirty:

Make sure you don't loose the q-tip inside the fuel chamber. Then align as close as possible the new (or old and serviced) injectors and push them together with the fuel rail in - start at the cowl (firewall) end, and work your way to the front of the engine. You might need to slightly use some force (short, sharp shock with the fist on top of each injector) to slide them in. The rest is the same as removal in reverse sequence.

Have a fire extinguisher handy, and I am sure you know you are responsible for your own doing.

Good luck

P.S. I forgot to mention: tightening torque of the bolts to the fuel rail is 10 Nm or 89 inlbs.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby

Last edited by doru; 09-28-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Great work Dorin. Any noticeable throttle response or MPG savings? Or too soon to tell?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I will add to the bestlinks so others can find this easily in the future.

Here's what is in the bestlinks if I search for 'injector' before doing so:
After reading each, I find none of those are really relevant to this DIY so I'll ignore them for now.

Doing an E39-only title search for "fuel injector", I find only 16 threads surfaced, the following five of which may be promising as additional information:
  1. DIY: 530d fuel injector
  2. Fuel Injector Service
  3. Fuel injector flow balancing ?
  4. Fuel injector cleaners?
  5. fuel injector cleaning
However, looking at those threads, the first is for a diesel; the second discusses Witchunter Performance & Dr Injector servicing (much as in this "Decent Techron thread"); the third mentioned Bosch injectors; the fourth talks about fuel-injector cleaners as does the fifth. Therefore, none of them are particularly useful for an injector removal & servicing DIY.

Doing a google search for "bmw e39 fuel injector DIY" doesn't net all that much either ...
Neither of which was particularly useful.

This unexpected dearth of BMW E39 injector replacement & servicing DIYs makes this one the first that I would put in the bestlinks:

- How to replace and service your BMW E39 fuel injectors (1)

EDIT: I also cross-referenced to this thread:
- How to diagnose a sudden and disturbingly unsettling cold-engine misfire

Last edited by bluebee; 09-27-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Great work up Doru,interesting that BMW knows of this problem but not going to do anything to help owners make the fix. Will be watching intently for your next post on how the car is operating with the new injectors installed.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Great work Dorin. Any noticeable throttle response or MPG savings? Or too soon to tell?

Every time I wash my car, it seems faster
I have to wait, just drove to work this morning, started up at the first key, no problem (I didn't expect any).
Seems the same to me so far, but for ECU to re-map, it will take a while, no?
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Nice job doru!

A few comments:

1. What was the condition of the O-ring when you removed? Was it brittle and fell apart or just stiff?

2. The Fuel Injectors....I wonder if you go this far to remove the fuel injectors, maybe it is a good idea to send them to a shop to do ultrasonic cleaning?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Nice job doru!

2. The Fuel Injectors....I wonder if you go this far to remove the fuel injectors, maybe it is a good idea to send them to a shop to do ultrasonic cleaning?
Not sure there is a reason to do this. Doru got new injectors as the old Siemens have a flaw of deforming while that flaw was supposedly fixed in the new design.

Why spend the money to clean flawed injectors?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
No,

I am talking in general for others to see. Let's say your injectors are OK but the O-ring is bad.
Then replace the O-ring, but since the injector is out, one may as well clean it? Just a thought.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
No,

I am talking in general for others to see. Let's say your injectors are OK but the O-ring is bad.
Then replace the O-ring, but since the injector is out, one may as well clean it? Just a thought.
I see. Well, IMHO the only advantage I see to sending it out is flow matching or for those worried about damaging the injectors.

Otherwise, there are plenty of DIY injector cleaning videos on Youtube with great success in just cleaning it. As you know, it's just about removing the carbon buildup. Ultrasonic just breaks down the hardened buildup quicker than the DIY method. This video looks like something you would probably use in your garage.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
Awesome post!! Nicely done.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
This is the kind of DIY write-up I like. Deserves to be moved to the DIY section. Given that the M52TU in my car shares a lot with the M54 series engines, I'm wondering if BMW utilized the same flawed injectors. The replacement O-ring parts appear to be for the same Siemens units. (I'd better go check up on this ....)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
BIG money to replace those...
The new design injectors are the Bosch 3 design.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Nice job doru!
Quote:

A few comments:

1. What was the condition of the O-ring when you removed? Was it brittle and fell apart or just stiff?

Cam, I might have a more elaborate answer. But I will try to keep it short.
The condition of the O-rings was OK because they were changed in February this year - I was chasing a vacuum leak I could not find (mpg was decreasing ever so slighly month-by-month since last summer, and I had no idea where the leak was). I also had the raw fuel smell and had to do something. After I changed the O-rings, the mpg stabilized, but m=not the fuel smell - I had a bad leak when it was cold - a big cloud of gasoline vapors (visible) under the hood at the fuel rail. When the engine warmed up (after driving about 10-15 minutes in he morning commute), the rubbers and everithing else expanded, and there were no more leaks. The problem is we have the alternator and other electrical gizmos under the hood, and all it takes is a little spark.
At the beginning of my post I mentioned that this DIY applies whether you change injectors or if you clean the injectors /change O-rings and the little filters inside the injectors. It's the same procedure. That's why I posted the pic with the O-rings. Has the p/n on them. I mentioned the rates of a good shop, because I looked into it. They will clean mechanically the injectors, re-calibrate them for flow and replace the O-rings and the filters. Then they will hand you also a report with the flow % before & after cleaning and also the spray pattern report. Done that on a friend's car with the v8 (also BMW). He had 2 injectors flowing less than 30% or so. And the spray pattern ws all messed up on almost all of them. He had roughly 130 k miles on the car. But no fuel leaks. The O-rings were bust.

On a side note, when I placed the the top and bottom protection cap that came from the new injectors onto the old ones, they slid on very easy, no resistance at all. They will probably fall off if you tip the old injector with the new cap. On the new injectors, both caps were a bit snug. The pic below:

Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540i/6
im interested in this injector cleaning... for a 2003 540i... is it worth it?... 120k miles, im sure its never been done... I also have a couple bottles of seafoam unopened sitting in my garage, should I bother with that stuff on a bmw?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
The new design injectors are the Bosch 3 design.

For the M54B30 engines it's Siemens, the new design.
Bosch does NOT carry them for my car. Maybe for yours?
Check this out , injectors do not come up for M54B30.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
I have looked on that site before...
Here is my info for my 2001 525i...
Quote:
Part Number Description Engine Type
0 986 280 554 Injection Valve L6-2494cc 2.5L FI EngDesg M54 GAS
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Yes, for the 2.5 liter they carry them. Not for the 3 liter.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Excellent writeup!

I'm not at the fuel injector comfort level yet but I am on the way. Scary to hear about the fuel misting under the hood.

My 530i is at 95k so hopefully I have a couple of years and by then I should be ready willing and able to tackle any DIY.

You pros are the nuke! Thanks for all of the useful info.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
in reality how many of us replaced these injectors ?

Doru is the first i think

Last edited by champaign777; 10-19-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Hey Doru--what the verdict on this--when you first started you were looking to solve a vaccum leak--did the new injectors solve your problems, did they bring back power?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
in reality how many of us replaced these injectors ?
I have a whole series of repeatable lean-misfire codes:
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

One of the items near the end of my list (after replacing things like vacuum hoses) is to check the fuel injectors.

I also borrowed the Autozone Actron CP9920A, which, I hope, will help (if it's fuel pump or fuel pressure related):
Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Hey Doru--what the verdict on this--when you first started you were looking to solve a vaccum leak--did the new injectors solve your problems, did they bring back power?

The mpg got better over the last 3-4 fill ups. So who knows? It looks better to me. Also, when I cleaned the "receptacle" (the place where the pintle seals with the O-ring in the intake), 2 of them had bad grit/fine sand/dust which makes me believe it was sucking air right there. It was also a bit hard to clean - these were the last 2 close to the firewall. The other were just dirty, and I wanted a good seal on the O-rings.
Concerning the fuel leak, I don't know yet. I wait untill the big deep freeze-up hits. Then I will know for sure. If no more fuel smell, then I'm golden.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru
one is responsible for a lean condition, the other one will leak fuel
I'm trying to identify all sources of lean mixture conditions, which means identifying all vacuum hoses, tubes, pipes, and encaps in addition to intake manifold and fuel injector o-rings.

Looking in Realoem for my 2002 M54 for the o-ring part numbers, I find this diagram:
I'm a bit confused which six o-rings to replace; would someone confirm which of the following o-ring sets it is recommended to replace?
  • 04; O-ring; 7,52X3,52; Q=6; PN=13641437487; $3.75
  • 05; O-ring; 9,2X2,8; Q=6; PN=13641437486; $3.75
Of these two o-ring sets, is the thinner o-ring the one that will cause a vacuum leak and the thicker o-ring will cause leaked fuel?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fi_1.png
Views:	31281
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	299998   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	2823
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	299999   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	300000   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	300001   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	300002  

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	300003   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	300004   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	300005   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	300006   Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	300007  

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	300008   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	300009   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	300010   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	300011   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	300012  

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	300013   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	300014   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	300015   Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	300016   Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	300017  

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	300018   Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	300019   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	300020  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-06-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Resized to 640x480 and included all Doru's pictures for posterity.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
i got 4 new Injectors Doru

if i will not buy a supercharger next year i will try to buy 2 more and install them
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

I'm trying to identify all sources of lean mixture conditions, which means identifying all vacuum hoses, tubes, pipes, and encaps in addition to intake manifold and fuel injector o-rings.

Looking in Realoem for my 2002 M54 for the o-ring part numbers, I find this diagram:

I'm a bit confused which six o-rings to replace; would someone confirm which of the following o-ring sets it is recommended to replace?

• 04; O-ring; 7,52X3,52; Q=6; PN=13641437487; $3.75
  • 05; O-ring; 9,2X2,8; Q=6; PN=13641437486; $3.75
Of these two o-ring sets, is the thinner o-ring the one that will cause a vacuum leak and the thicker o-ring will cause leaked fuel?

Bluebee, once you remove the injectors, you would want to replace BOTH O-rings.
In my case, injector # 6 and injector #5 (close to the firewall) had the "receptacle" - for lack of words - all filled with sand-like dust & crud. Here is the pic, the Q-tip I used to clean the "receptacle" - it's the hole where the injector seats with the pintle:

The mpg went slowly and steady down over the last year and a half. After I changed O-rings (and actually injectors) the mpg is back up where it should be. The fuel leak you will experience ONLY when it's bittercold, and the engine did not have time properly warm up - and I mean the whole thing under the hood, not just around the pistons. Also, that pesky fuel leak due to faulty injectors is only for the M54B30 engine- the 3 liter one.
But the vacuum leak due to worn out O-rings anyone can experience this. Also, in time, on top of the injectors is a filter that gets clogged up. This filter and the tiny deposits (in time) inside the injector will alter slightly (or more if really bad) the air-fuel mixture.
My advice is after 100 k miles to pull out the injectors and go to a reputable place that cleans (mechanically) the injectors. They "should" ultrasound and chemically clean them, re-calibrate the nozzle pattern and replace the O-rings & filter. Also a detalied report should accompany the repair. This report will give you the details of before & after cleaning flow % of each injector as well as the spray pattern. That sheet is pretty detailed.