Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E93
how to convert from manual side mirrors to power folding mirrors

hi i own a 2001 e46 coupe. somebody broke one of my side mirrors while it was parked somewhere, anyway i got it changed. my standard mirrors were manual, where to fold them up i had to do it manually. but the new ones i'v got put in are motorised, but i cant obviouslly use the motorised option as my car was made with the manual mirrors. i was wondering is there anyway i can add something in my car that will make them fold with the touch of a button???
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Terry Kennedy did this modification - you may want to SEARCH for his posts on adding the auto-folding mirrors. If I recall, he said that it was so much trouble, he wouldn't do it again.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Probably. But the cost involved would outweigh the benefits. Not worth it even if you could manage it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E93
well thanx for the reply guys, the only reason y i;m thiking of doin it is bcos the mirrors i got hold of are motorised anyway, so if it isnt going to cost too much wiring to be set up then i wud do it! but yeh if i didnt have to change my mirrors, then i wudnt even think of doin this!!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw51ngh View Post
well thanx for the reply guys, the only reason y i;m thiking of doin it is bcos the mirrors i got hold of are motorised anyway, so if it isnt going to cost too much wiring to be set up then i wud do it! but yeh if i didnt have to change my mirrors, then i wudnt even think of doin this!!
If your car is configured to support them, the only other part you need is the new mirror control switch in the driver's door, which has the fold control button.

If you have memory seats and (I think) fuse 46 (I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly - check my old posts) installed, it should "just work" when all the parts are installed.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
If your car is configured to support them, the only other part you need is the new mirror control switch in the driver's door, which has the fold control button.

If you have memory seats and (I think) fuse 46 (I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly - check my old posts) installed, it should "just work" when all the parts are installed.

I opened up my fuse box, looks like it's #57 for folding side mirrors. My car has it... Hmmmmmmm now, do I want to spend $500 on folding mirrors.....
Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
I opened up my fuse box, looks like it's #57 for folding side mirrors. My car has it... Hmmmmmmm now, do I want to spend $500 on folding mirrors.....
You have a 2003 ZHP? If you have ribbon cable mirrors, I don't think there is a part with the folding option available. Unfortunately, you'll need to skin the door to check.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
You can always check and see whats in there to some extent WHEN the window regulator fails next
Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
You have a 2003 ZHP? If you have ribbon cable mirrors, I don't think there is a part with the folding option available. Unfortunately, you'll need to skin the door to check.
Hm... looking at RealOEM, you're right, 03/03 seems to be the switchover for the part number (where I don't see a fold-in p/n for the newer part), and my car was made in 03/03. It's just another type of connector? No straight pin translation?

Did BMW just stop making fold-in mirrors in 03/03?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Tried finding any of this in alldata but all it shows is the normal mirrors, nothing about power folding mirrors at all even for 2004.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Tried finding any of this in alldata but all it shows is the normal mirrors, nothing about power folding mirrors at all even for 2004.
Alldata probably only shows US-spec cars. It was never an option or offered in the US.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Alldata probably only shows US-spec cars. It was never an option or offered in the US.
The E46 sedan / wagon folding mirror re-uses 5-series parts. That was a US option on the 5er, which is why my dealer had one of the mirrors (driver's side) and the switch in stock.

As far as I know, there's no adapter for ribbon cable mirror wiring (and the controller is different too). But the only way to be sure is to skin the door and see what's in there, as different plants changed at different times since it was a mid-model-year change.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Hey Guys
I lost my sideview mirror, a garbage can jumped in my way. Anyway I purchased BAVARIAN AUTOSPORT SPORT MIRROR KIT - E46 M3 STYLE - WITH LED TURN SIGNAL but my wiring is a ribbon cable ad the new mirror is not. Do you know if there is an adapter? I have a 04 325i sedan, power memory mirrors