Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Exclamation OIL LEVEL SENSOR Replacement!...

I have read about this at leats 5 times here if not more. So finally it happened to me. I have 02 325 ci @ 44,000miles. Yellow oil light comes on about 5-10 sec. after I start the engine, stays on for about 10 sec. and the goes off. It does it everytime I start the car no matter the engine is cool or hot.
So to the best of my knowledge this should be due to oil level sensor going bad.
But just to make sure it is not the oil level, I checked it. I am not a dummy but I have to admit that the dipstick was not clear to read. Actually it was the most confusing I have ever seen. So I took the picture of it. Would you guys please take a look at it and let me know how to read it please?
So if the oil level is good(It's been only 3000miles since the oil replacement.), I will go a head and replace the oil level sensor. Is there a link to how to DIY it?
Can someone post it for me please? If it is not too complicated, I will do it myself. If not I will take it in.

Thank you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	112589  
Ads by Google
Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Your oil level is full. The level is measured on the center "block" between the two cutouts.

I hear the sensor replacement is easy, but I haven't done it myself. I believe it requires you to drain the oil (you could put it back in the engine if you're not close to needing a change). Get a Bentley manual!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Your oil level is full. The level is measured on the center "block" between the two cutouts.

I hear the sensor replacement is easy, but I haven't done it myself. I believe it requires you to drain the oil (you could put it back in the engine if you're not close to needing a change). Get a Bentley manual!

I do not think I can convince myself to get underneath the car and drain the oil at this stage. I was hoping that it is something that I can replace through the engine compartment without draining the oil. Are you sure oil needs to be drained?

So if I go to dealer for this, they will for sure use new oil and depending on how much the sensor costs, this repair will be around $300+ level I imagine...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
I do not think I can convince myself to get underneath the car and drain the oil at this stage. I was hoping that it is something that I can replace through the engine compartment without draining the oil. Are you sure oil needs to be drained?

So if I go to dealer for this, they will for sure use new oil and depending on how much the sensor costs, this repair will be around $300+ level I imagine...
Yep, looks like the oil level sensor connects right into the oil pan, so yes, you'd have to drain the oil to replace it...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=10&hl=74

It's really rather easy...just put the oil back in the car..

edit: or you could just wait until it's time for an oil change anyway...

Last edited by KrisL; 06-22-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Powered by Honda
IIRC, On E46 coupes, there's a crossmember in the way.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Joker View Post
IIRC, On E46 coupes, there's a crossmember in the way.
don't know wthat it is but I will have to wait for oil change to get this job done. I am in no mood to drain the oil for a simple oil sensor replacement now. Especially if it has no harm other than seeing the yellow light for couple seconds.

The question is when my oil change is due...
I changed the oil at the dealer last year when the milage was around 42,000. The service odometer was calling for oil service but I didn't ask for oil service just for the oil change. And did the microfilter replacement myself and resetted the service odometer. Now the car doens't call for "oil service" anymore. Instead you see "Inspection". I have now 44,400 miles and about 12000 miles to inspection.

Does this mean I don't have to change the oil till then???
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014, 435 M Package
I was recommended by a mechanic to do it every 6,000 miles. he said that keeping the oil for 15,000 miles as the dealer recommends is a torture to the engine especially if the car is more than 4 years old.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
don't know wthat it is but I will have to wait for oil change to get this job done. I am in no mood to drain the oil for a simple oil sensor replacement now. Especially if it has no harm other than seeing the yellow light for couple seconds.

The question is when my oil change is due...
I changed the oil at the dealer last year when the milage was around 42,000. The service odometer was calling for oil service but I didn't ask for oil service just for the oil change. And did the microfilter replacement myself and resetted the service odometer. Now the car doens't call for "oil service" anymore. Instead you see "Inspection". I have now 44,400 miles and about 12000 miles to inspection.

Does this mean I don't have to change the oil till then???

When you reset the service indicator, it simply toggles between 'inspection' and 'oil service', and counts down from 15,000 miles each time.

I change my oil every 7500 miles, but I only reset the service indicator every *other* time I change the oil, when it reaches ~0 miles.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ330CI View Post
I was recommended by a mechanic to do it every 6,000 miles. he said that keeping the oil for 15,000 miles as the dealer recommends is a torture to the engine especially if the car is more than 4 years old.
Only oil analysis can tell.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Coupe OR Never

So in this case I have one oil change on the way before the inspection, which should be the Inspection II in my case.

6000 miles may not be necessary for every driving condition but I agree that 15,000 miles is a torture. I would never go more than 7,500 miles.