Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328ic
New Guy

Whats goin on every1 id like to say first off i know a little bit more about cars than the avg person however i don't know very much more ok now that i've got that out of the way i have a couple things i wanted to ask about. I drive a 1997 BMW 328i convertible and i have about 3 questions on it. #1 My convertible top though it works all the time always gets stuck about halfway through when i am retracting it back under the tuckaway latch thing and i usually have to give it a slight push so that it will continue under it. Any suggestions to how i could fix that? #2 How can i improve the takeoff speed of it? Its like i can beat cars at higher speeds but that take off i find myself losing to like F-250 V8s and such. Finally the sound system on my car sucks. I like to listen to my music loud and when it gets loud I think the speaker hits up against door panel? The bass always sounds like garbage but my mids and highs are fine.. any suggestions? I appreciate the feedback guys
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Welcome!

Convertible Top:
I'm not a vert guy, so can't help you much on the top. If you don't have a Bentley's manual, I'd recommend getting one, it lists every little detail of the car. I'd guess you just need some minor adjusting on the motion path it takes.

Dragging:
You don't have much torque, you'll never beat a big truck off the line without thousands of dollars of internal engine mods and a supercharger. Add to that, these cars were designed to be overall performers, and straight line from a dead stop was almost entirely overlooked. Tell the F-250 you'll race him on a twisty road somewhere, see who wins that one That's the best you can do there.
Also, don't make the ricer mistake of thinking a huge exhaust, etc will make you a dragster. If you don't go crazy, you'll free up a few ponies up top with a slightly larger exhaust. But, that comes at the cost of some torque, which is what *really* matters anyway. A cold air intake will help, the M3 exhaust is a good balance in HP and TQ, underdrive pulleys will do a small amount, the M50 engine intake manifold is supposed to give you better flow I believe (this is from the earlier E36 325's), a racing chip will help you, and run some Techron through your fuel system, and I've *heard* Royal Purple oil in your engine, diff, gearbox, etc will make things quite a bit smoother. This won't give you any power, but our resident expert (Pirate_copy) swears by NGK Iridium spark plugs as well, just for smoothness for the powerband.

As for your sound system, one definite good thing to do is get a subwoofer and a 1 or 2 and 4 channel amp. Even with the stock speakers, tuned right this will help a bunch. Get the 4 channel for your mids and hi's, and make sure you get one with a built in fully selectable crossover. Set the crossover not to allow very low frequencies thru to those speakers. Then, make your sub on the 1 or 2 channel amp and let it be your sole base provider and the foundation for the rest of the frequencies. BTW, there are 3 main types of sub enclosures: Sealed, Ported, Bandpass. For the cleanest, most responsive sound, get a sealed box. Thats my recommendation for sound.

Hope this helps you a bit!
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
crazy bimmer driver

Send a message via AIM to wing46man Send a message via MSN to wing46man
Mein Auto: 99 528i
alright for the sunroof, try some wd-40 or some grease on the motors and moving parts, there also may be a word out bearing or retraction piece somewheres in the roof or near the motors. for take-off power, the best thing is a supercharger, it gives more hp at lower rpms than a turbo and since they're belt driven theres no lag. cold air intakes and an upgraded ECM chip are also good options. and finally the sound system doesn't really suck, just the speakers. find some replacement speakers and toss 'em in, the sound will be improved. if you want outstanding sound, just replace the whole system head unit and speakers, JBL, Boston Acoustics, and Pioneer, JL audio are the best speakers from my own personal experiences, for head units Pioneer, Kenwood, Jensen and Panasonic should do just fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
true, the amp will help with the speakers being stock, but if you really like to crank it up, i would suggest springing for some decent alpine or blauplunkt speakers...or even just some mid-grade ones...the stock nokia ones are pretty much garbage after a while-no real depth at all.
also..
+1 about this not being the drag racer...dont worry about racing other people...take her on some open twisting road and youll understand why you got the car in the first place
Old 06-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Blaupunkt speakers? Meh. Whoever is in their marketing department needs a raise tho, flipping hilarious!

Infinity or MB Quart. +1 for Boston Ac. as well. BUT, for speaker brands, listen to them a LOT before you buy. They all have different sounds to them. IE Infinity's are better if you can put in a different set of speakers for each freq. division, as they sound a bit more thin if you try to spread them over the whole range. And Pioneers are good at carrying a large range with good depth from the same speaker. Just get a quality brand and find the sond you think you prefer.
For good sound on a budget if you aren't an audiophile, I had 6.5" Pioneer's in my last car, they had awesome response all thru the ranges. I was impressed for their supercheap price (like 80 bucks). Also, the Pioneer Kevlar's (yellow cone) are supposed to be amazing, but I haven't heard em.
Stay away from Dual, JL Audio, JVC, Audiobahn, and Kenwood.
2-ways are better than 3-ways. 3-ways are better than 4-ways. Don't think that more drivers in a speaker is better. Its not

Oh, if it were me, I'd replace the amps and add a sub first. Your first step to better sound is separating the frequencies. Then work on good speakers themselves.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Blaupunkt speakers? Meh. Whoever is in their marketing department needs a raise tho, flipping hilarious!
GO TEDDY GO!!! That was brilliant mate

Edirty6 for life
Old 06-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
[QUOTE=E36 Phantom;2462221]Blaupunkt speakers? Meh. Whoever is in their marketing department needs a raise tho, flipping hilarious!

Go the teddy
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 06-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Totally agree with the Royal Purple

thanks BTW Phantom ""blush""

Edirty6 for life
Old 06-24-2007, 09:37 AM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
im glad my mom didnt walk in when i pulled that vid up-its not really easy to explain why you were watching stuffed animal ******